Charging the FP2 / cable problems

Jelle, and Emma,

What happens if you use a more powerful charging facility - such as one delivering 1.5A or 2A?

Please remove the battery for at least 30 minutes and try again to charge the phone with a powerful charger to see if it makes a difference. If possible, let the phone charge completely (and then some more) before booting it.

I do agree with Dunsay in that less powerful charging facilities and not stable enough ones might not work as expected, especially when the battery charge is (very) low.
Jelle, you said your charger+cable were working fine before but did you ever reach such a battery state (depleted)?

i have to correct myself: random reboots happen now more often, eg when starting a call while dialing.
not every cable is accepted, but a big relief, nonetheless.
lets seeā€¦

i found the solution in a german thread: for the reboots after starting a call: its the setting 4g preferred

Iā€™m somewhat relieved to read all this since I started to think that itā€™s me doing something wrong. I ran around trying different cables, chargers and power outlets. For the last 10 hours my phone seems to be in a red light - booting screen - black screen loop. Maybe the battery was this time even emptier than before. The problem before was that the charging took so long that it never really finished until I had to unplug the phone to go somewhere. Even charging over night didnā€™t fill it up.
Whatā€™s fairphoneā€™s response, does anyone know? Iā€™d like to fill out the form but I donā€™t know most of the answers since my phone doesnā€™t turn on. So no idea how to look things up.
Would be happy to hear about a solution.

You can still write a normal support request and telling what you tried and what not worked. But response time could be a couple of days!
You had this problem from beginning?

Up to now the response has been to get a more powerful charger.
see: Charging the FP2 / cable problems

I might try this when I have the time to order a working one this weekend.

Thank you for specifying a reliable, known brand and available charger.
Just ordered a 2 port Anker 20 W charger.

After having the FP2 for more than three months: I noticed that the Anker charger is charging the FP2 much faster than the PC or laptop.

1 Like

Yes, I did that. The battery charged super slow but this ongoing loop issue is new.

Which not neccassarily means that much, as PC and Laptop are limite do 0.5A, normal USB chargers provide already 1A, and Anker maybe 2A (from which it is still questionable, if FP2 really can profit of more than 1Aā€¦)

But if you noticed already before that it did not work good (how long for a full charge?), it is possible that it is just the same problem, only in a completely-drain-modeā€¦Itā€™s not nice for you, I am aware of.

And after trying that much of cable/charger combination (I think also PC/Notebook?!), you did not find ANY good working combination (where it charges in 1-2h from 0-100%, as it should be)?

You tried this already witht the most promising combination?

Actually, it does profit from 2A. My powerbank has two output sockets, 1A and 2A and the difference in charging speed is really noticeable, especially, when Iā€™m using my FP2 heavily (e.g. reading this forum with mobile data and the screen at full brightness) while charging.

1 Like

OK. Do you think that time is also the half? How long does it take from 0-100% or 20-80%?

Well, just to add my experience: Iā€™m having the same charging problems.
Some chargers work, some cables work, some USB-ports work - but most combinations do not work.
Having three chargers, about five cables and more than 15 different USB-ports at different computers, ā€œscientificallyā€ finding out which combinations do (not) work takes ā€œslightlyā€ more time than Iā€™m willing to spend.
(Also uprading to OS version 1.2.8 did not change this behavior.)
Althought I support the idea behind FP, this (along with some other bugs) is quite dissapointing.
Especially because I get the impression, that the FP-Team isnā€™t very hard working to resolve this issue concerning quite a lot of FP users (or am I missing something?).

HB

1 Like

I donā€™t have these issues, so please consider the following:

• for charging, use a DATA-Cable (Plug it into your PC and see, if data transfer is possible)
  • the length and quality of the cable (-> resistance) has an impact on the charging speed.
  • Charging with PC is always slow, as you can only draw 500mA from a Port.
  • Use a good charger (e.g. from Anker) and no cheap no-name china ones
1 Like

Hi retsfip,
thanks for your comments.
Itā€™s clear that all what you mentioned has an influence on chrging.
The point is: I never hab any problems charging a quite decent variety of phones - the FP2 ist the only one showing this problem.
And - regarding this topic - Iā€™m not the only one ā€¦

HB

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Unfairphone does not charge:

Yes your correct I am mad having bought one tough phone I bought a 2nd duff phone. And when I point out the problems a moderator closes the topic down my phone will not charge from a computer and I cannot find any way of making it do so despite using the same cable I use with a phone charger.

I might agree with the closing of the previous topic, as the issue is already discussed in another thread and the moderator gave you a link to that thread. Yes a charging cable is not sufficient to charge from a PC, you need a data cable. Just read the relevant thread, and as a side note, slightly softening your language level could encourage people in helping you.

7 Likes

Sice you say that your cable actually works with a charger, could it be that your computer is powered off or in an energy saving standby mode? Then it wonā€™t give power to your phone via USB. It needs to be running.

The phgone starts to charge then stops. It could be that the computer stops the power but the fact that the settings are so illusive is not helpful. How can a settings page on USB connection not be aviable until i connect the phone ? why can I search settings but not access them ? Ah but with the cable plugged in I can access the page - just tried it. This is mad.

I did skim through the forum and found no mention of the problem

oh and the same port on the same computer used to charge the FP1 no problem soā€¦

As far as I know FP2 is a bit stricter concerning the charging cable and charger. I own a FP1U and a FP2 and have 2 charging devices. FP1U can be charged with both, FP2 only with one of them (Hama).

I think there was a poll or query which charging device is working with FP2 and which is not.

1 Like