Charger cable starts sitting loosely in the phone socket/connector after a while

:gb: I advise everyone to contact support directly and ask if this issue is covered by warranty.

In my personal opinion this should not happen after such short time.

:de: Ich rate jedem, den Support zu kontaktieren und zu fragen, ob die Garantie dieses Problem abdeckt.

Meiner persƶnlichen Meinung nach sollte das mit der USB-Buchse nicht nach so kurzer Zeit auftreten.

While that is true, this is a typical situation where any other manufacturer/seller would be trying to invoke wear-and-tear clauses. But then, Fairphone is delivering a very fair customer support.

So Iā€™d say you should definitely try to contact support!

1 Like

Iā€™m having the same problem. The USB plug sits loosely in the socket and only connects when held at a specific angle.

Iā€™ve had a look at the motherboard and there are no obviously broken connections, however, the little connector ā€˜tongueā€™ inside the socket flaps about, so maybe the loose connection is there.

I contacted support directly around five days ago and so far have had no reply.

1 Like

It takes 5 days these days to get a respond from FP supportā€¦

Any news on how the support service solved this? I have the same problem since a few days. I donā€™t understand how that happened but Iā€™m worried itā€™ll get worse so I was wondering if thereā€™s a solution or whether it means my phone is dying.
Thanks!

I see two options for you:

1. Contact support and plead for a warranty ticket. If Fairphone grants you a replacement, the whole mother board would be replaced, resulting in an unfortunately high waste of resources. :frowning:
  2. Consider repairing the USB socket yourself (or let it repair by a phone shop / repair shop), as described here.

Thanks @Stefan !
Iā€™m not as technical as many other people on this forum so Iā€™ll just take it to a repair store then. Do you know whether Iā€™ll lose my data (i.e. do I need to make a back up of everything before I bring it)?

Thanks a lot!

Itā€™s probably best to ask that the repair store directly, but itā€™s never a bad idea to do a good backup.

1 Like

Did anyone get a response from custumer support? I have this issue plus it doesnā€™t charge all the time. It is very random, as if there is a glitch.

1 Like

donā€™t put that much hope in an answer from customer support.
Better reading that thread:

If you did not find my previous post in other threads, here you have my suggestion to check:
Try to clean your USB connector of the FP1 - it solved my charging problems completely:

Cheers, Robert

I might add that shortly after I had opened this thread I ā€œsolvedā€ the problem simply by buying a new charger cable - apparently plugs or connectors differ enough across manufacturers, and by coincidence the cable I bought sits very tightly in the socket, where the former one sat loosely. This is why I never contacted support.

1 Like

I already tried four different cables. To no avail. Support told me I could send the device in, estimated time for a repair is 15 days. I am still thinking about if I an going to send it away before Christmas, or afterwards. I will need a phone around Christmas, of course. Travelling. As one does. Meeting family and friends. I managed w/o a smartphone before, but I am now so used to having internet on the goā€¦

did they tell what it roughly gonna cost?

Yeah, I guess I was just lucky. In case someoneā€™s interested, I bought one of those - one reason was that they were (and still are) indicated to be used (no additional trash!), but really you get brand new (no name) ones. Theyā€™re not of the greatest quality, either - I had to replace them once. But, as I said, they sit tightly in my phone.

Iā€™m feelinā€™ you. :wink:

1 Like

I donā€™t think that they would even give me an estimate before their contractor doing the repairs would have had a look at the phone.

@Alfonso_Muskedunder and @humorkritik:
may I asked if you both already checked my suggestion of simply cleaning the USB port of the FP1 before buying loads of cables?

Edit: Thanks, maybe I would have, but I encountered the problem about 11 months before you wrote your post - itā€™s difficult to react to something that happens in the future, ha ha. Anyways, sometimes cleaning the socket might not suffice, and in some cases using a different cable may do the trick. Others might have to repair the socket. Whatever helps.

PS: Apologies if my previous answer sounded a bit sarcastic, I believe I misread the tone of your post.

2 Likes

Easy, @Alfonso_Muskedunder. Iā€™m sure he means no harm and did not want to offend any of us.

Yes indeed, you misread it.
I just wanted to share ā€œmy wisdomā€, bacause it did helped me! Before I tried it I could not beleive that only some dust is the reason of all my charging problems!
Furthermore I wanted to share this post also in this thread for people using the search function later.

As you did not anwser my question, I do ask again:
@Alfonso_Muskedunder: did you try it? As I see it right you just uses now different cables, right? Until you did not try to clean your port and try again the original ā€œfaultyā€ cable, you should not judge about this approach. Which is not meant to offend, just a way to find the real reason of your problems and not only to fight against symptons instead of the reasons causing them.
And it do not change anything that your original post is from Decā€™14.

@humorkritik: Whatā€™s about you? Gave it a try?