Charger (ÅSKSTORM) & cable (LILLHULT) from IKEA are ok for FP3+?

No need for apologies!
Sure you’re right, I was forgetting that although equipped with a USB-C port (physical connector) the FP3 only supports USB 2 (standard including protocol). As @Incanus wrote, this will provide, I suppose, as little as 500mA 5V?
Sorry I didn’t read Incanus’ post carefully enough, says it all.
My apologies for making this dance even more in front of @ArnoS ’ eyes. It’s a good illustration of how complicated things can be, and made worse when manufacturers don’t follow the standards.

To sum up:
Using the USB-A port as I had concluded for other reasons, should at least deliver 900mA at 5V. Slow but sure.

1 Like

5v at 900mA isn’t so slow ~ that’s 4.5 watts/hr.

if there was no efficiency loss a 3AH battery on 4.2 volts requires 12.6w so some three hours and if charging only from 30% to 90% only 7.6W ~ so two hours maybe possible.

Mind you the old common USB-A v2 only gave out 500mA

Here some pics of my wall charger:

Cable: I use the one provided with a Powerbank with QC3.0 supported I bought some time ago. I think a robust type C cable should be enought.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

?? Your second image shows it is a Qualcomm QC3 ??

I assume the comment “without QC3” was the answer to your comment that you/as per specs it needs 3.5 hours. The rest is a new sentence (at least there is a point), saying with Quick charge it takes only 1 hour.

1 Like

Interesting and astute that you noticed the ‘the point’ :slight_smile:
Also strange the Fairphone tout the charge rate as such. They must be guiding users around the USB 3 @900mA

The 500mA/900mA limits are not really relevant here, as phones and phone chargers usually support the USB Battery Charging standard (originally from Apple) which uses voltage on the data lines to indicate power up to 1.5A. You only get 500mA (“slow charging”) when connecting to a computer.

QC3.0 can be used to go above 1.5A (“fast charging”) and doesn’t seem to be supported on the Ikea charger in question. Although it can be disguised under names like Samsung Adaptive Fast Charging, which is the same thing.

1 Like

Thanks for that. I may slowly begging to make some sense of some of it. I have a 5v charger that can output 2.4A but if there is a limit of 1.5A as a standard then it’s beginning to make sense that I should be able to charge in 2hours plus or less, caveat efficiency and state of charge at start and end.

Hi Arnos,
I use a ‘oneo 3A 45W Quick Charge 3.0 Wall Charger’, which I can take with me when I’m not at home and which has both a USB-A and a USB-C socket.
I connect the phone to the charger using a ‘oneo Endurance USB-C to USB-C Data Charging Cable - 2M’.
I use AccuBattery to monitor my FP3 and normally charge back up to to 80% when the charge drops below 50%.
A recent charging session took 25 minutes to charge from 50% to 80%, and another session took 42 minutes to charge from 44% to 89%.
I’m in the UK and got the charger and cable from http://www.mymemory.co.uk . There was a discount offer when I bought them so I paid £21.58 in total.
I imagine you can get oneo or equivalent hardware outside the UK.
Regards,
John

1 Like

With all these charging standards there is a chance some chargers may be marketed unclearly or support multiple standards. USB PD is clearly marked because it is the next big thing nowadays for users of new phones & tablets, but it doesn’t rule out QC support.

Measuring charge level is not a very accurate indicator because you don’t know how much your battery has degraded, and charge indicators are not fully reliable. Whether the phone displays ‘fast charging’ is a more reliable indicator of the charge standards used.

Where did you find this number? Fairphone indicates 1-3A in their page about compatible chargers: https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360047608951-Charge-your-FP3-FP3-

Hi Thanks for that. I was referring to the text above where I quoted Fairphones text to say charge would take 3.5hours. I doubled the relative 1A in such a situation to ensure that even at that heavier duty wiring was more or less essential…
I have edited my text to say 2 to 3 amperes depending upon charger but of course it is still a bit vague as for a cable to take 3A it really need s to capable of more as that implies a voltage of maybe 5V and there would be heat and voltage drop if the cable could only do 3A even.

I’m not aware of clear specs on cables regarding their wiring size that I could assess how well they would carry current without voltage low and incurring heat.

The Fairphone cable I use says USB2 spec and looking for that I get

which doesn’t put 2A in the dark.

Thanks

… because some European Samsung phones are built with Exynos CPU and not with Qualcoom Snapdragon (like USA ones). :slight_smile:

Wow! I’m slowly becoming a battery expert - who would have thought…

Thank you all for your responses. I will purchase my FP3+ and use the charger I have. I understand it will charge for sure, the only question is if it will fast-charge. This is not an essential feature for me - my phone is on the charger during the night (and if needed in the car when I’m on the road) and that has always been fine for me.

Thanks again and have a good one all!

2 Likes

Ok more on batteries then
a) It is not ideal to keep a battery on all night as it may well charge but keeping it under 90% prolongs the battery life, as does keeping it above 20%, some will say 30% to 80% etc. Battery alarm apps are available.
b) It is also detrimental to have the battery being charged whilst in use. So ideally, take care to minimise using it whilst charging in the car.

An example of advice;

Android phone manufacturers, including Samsung, say the same. “Do not leave your phone connected to the charger for long periods of time or overnight." Huawei says, “Keeping your battery level as close to the middle (30% to 70%) as possible can effectively prolong the battery life.”

Samsung

Most Smartphones have a lithium-ion battery that lives longer when charged regularly. Unlike the nickel batteries used in older phones, lithium-ion batteries do best when kept above a 50 percent charge. Repeatedly allowing the battery to drain fully may shorten its life and decrease its overall capacity.

Leaving the phone connected to the charger (when the phone is completely charged) while you are using it may lower battery life if you do it repeatedly.

Thanks for this advice as well! It looks I’ll have to change my habits - as simple as that.
Not charging the battery overnight is doable, but in the car… hm, my phone is my navigation and on a long ride the battery won’t bring me to my destination. Then again - that’s the current battery, maybe it will be much better when having my new phone. :slight_smile:

There are a couple of options as the warning refers to:

Leaving the phone connected to the charger (when the phone is completely charged) while you are using it

a) don’t have the phone above 50% when starting the journey and unplug at 90% for example b) buy a second battery and keep fully (90%) charged so you can swap if need be

It might help to give the battery a (slightly) longer lifespan, if you follow all the hints. But for the price of not being able to do with your phone what it is made for. If I can’t use it for navigation in the car, because maybe 10 minutes before reaching the destination, the battery might drop under 30% and I have to switch it off to safely charge it again to 80%, I would rather throw it out of the window :slight_smile: .

Battery life is always too short anyway. So if I can only use half of the energy of the battery, it’s just ridiculous. I have five year old phones, that still have nearly 90% of their original battery capacity, without everyday anxiously watching the percentage value, not to miss the right moment to charge them.

Just my two cents.

4 Likes

Seconded.
Of course you can go out of your way to do everything potentially prolonging battery life.
But to sacrifice usability for that doesn’t make much sense to me.

I always charge over night, because I’m using the phone during the day.
And I always charge to 100%, because until now I didn’t experience any negative consequences of doing this at least with my Fairphone 2 batteries and my Fairphone 3 battery.
I really try to avoid letting any battery go below 20%, but it happens occasionally, and my batteries don’t care at least visibly, yet.

I’m certain my batteries could live a bit longer if I followed every advice out there, but I would never know how long that bit longer really is and thus I would never know whether it’s worth it.

My batteries are doing fine, and they are out of their warranty periods, respectively. For the Fairphone 2 ones make that way out of their warranty periods.
They did their job already just fine.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.