Can't receive incoming calls : (

ok thanks. i see. i’ll do that and let you know what happens …

In case you use 4G/LTE, try to switch to 3G/2G and see what happens. If it works then there might be a problem in your providers’ 4G network. Quite common to happen occasionally.

2 Likes

That seems to indeed be the problem. Or at least - it works for now on 2G, but as soon as I set it to 3G or 4G my call goes straight to voicemail. Wow. Who would have thought.

Will look at it some more tomorrow. Until then - THANKS! - but what do I do with the info? :wink: I mean, is this something the provider can fix or do I just have to wait for it to go away …?

1 Like

Thanks again - looks like you might be right - see below. Is the provider going to be able to do anything about it do you think?

1 Like

Error in 3G network? Wow, this is rare. Are you sure the SIM you’re using is voice enabled? I mean, not that you use one voice SIM and one data SIM and just chose the wrong one?

For me, even though my operator promised that my data SIM could theoretically be used for voice (though expensive to use) it doesn’t work out well. Maybe you found a bug in your providers’ methods to cut out events which shouldn’t occur according to your contract: It happens occasionally that thing work out with 2G that should actually be forbidden.

You could open your phone to check whether the antenna is connected firmly.

Maybe this thread is of interest for you:

Hey, thanks again. No, it’s definitely voice and data :wink: In fact I’ve been using both my SIMs for years, even before I had the FP …

Hmm, weird though that it works fine in my old S4 Mini, without “downgrading” to 3G/2G … I’m still thinking it’s more likely it has to do with the handset rather than the network…

1 Like

Thanks Gerry, I’ll look at that but since it works fine with my other SIM I’m doubtful as to whether it’s a likely cause …

Update: After more testing I have no problems with my SIM in a different handset, on the other hand switching the 4G access in the Fairphone to the second SIM starts causing the same problem, whereas the problem doesn’t seem to occur for the SIM that is set to 2G (but 3G already causes issues).

As the two SIMs are on different networks but cause the same problem it doesn’t look like a network issue to me but increasingly like it might be a problem with the handset.

Any other ideas? Thanks

… I’ll try disassembling the phone next to clean it and put it back together, one thing I did notice is that without the back cover there’s a small noise when I shake it, as if something is loose inside - is that normal?

If both SIMs have troubles with 4G in your FP2, and 4G works in other devices at the same location, then indeed it sounds like a hardware issue.

Dis- and reassembling the phone could be a try to solve it; if it doesn’t work, I guess the next step would be to contact support and let them know what you already tried and how you determined the issue.

The rattling sound is most likely just the vibrator, I wouldn’t worry about that.

2 Likes

Thanks Gerald. In fact I already contacted support yesterday to get a head start :wink: and they have just gotten back to me suggesting it might be a defect on the motherboard. I will however try disassembling it just in case. Anyway thanks again for your time!!

2 Likes

Any news in this case? I got the same problem with new FP2/6. Under 4G phonecalls in/out are blocked. SMS is working. SIM in other phones work nicely - so no provider issue!

1 Like

Since people in this thread seem to have issues with calling while LTE is enabled: Do your providers support VoLTE? If that is the case but FP2 has issues with this we could narrow the problem down a bit. By disabling LTE the phone falls back to 2G telephony and the problem disappears. Could that be possible?

1 Like

Hey, spologies for the delayed response. I ended up sending my handset in as there was no other solution. Got it back wiped and reset but without any actual repairs having taken place. Apparently it worked fine with different SIM cards. After this it behaved well for a few weeks then the problem started again. Now I’m returning the phone and getting a new one … but from what you’re saying this might have the same problem! Btw what is a Fairphone 2/6 I mean what does the 6 stand for? :wink:

2 Likes

Hey Martin, interesting point. Vodafone Germany does indeed support VoLTE but apparently not with the Fairphone, or at least it seems that way judging by their list of compatible handsets. Not sure this is the problem though …

2 Likes

Perhaps the Android version, because of “new”? Apparently there’s also an FP6.

1 Like

Exactly what it means: I freshly own a Fairphone 2 with Android 6. I will look for the providers data with VoLTE. I am in Germany using “Aldi-Talk=E-Plus=telefonicá”

3 Likes

At least for Telefónica it looks like the issue could be in their network:

But one question remains: Does FP2 support VoLTE, at least in theory? I know that the chipset is capable of doing this but how about software or other components? @Douwe, could you maybe get us a definite answer to that question? Thanks!
BTW: Just checked: My FP2 in the Telefónica network has 4G reception here, so I called it from another phone and I can watch the phone switching from 4G to 3G shortly before it starts ringing. So at least here and for my phone they don’t apply VoLTE (yet).

3 Likes

I see. I’m in Germany on Vodafone. However I tried a UK SIM as well, logged into the O2 network I think, same problem.

I was able to make calls though, just incoming calls did not connect… I’m also on Android 6.

I don’t have my FP2 on me at the moment but I will get it back on Monday and look into whether it’s using VoLTE…