Can't generate bootloader unlocking code

Yep would have been nice and no surprise it didnt happen :upside_down_face:

Usually I’m the one who’ll get a new phone the last, so I guess I’ll have to adapt to being one of the first :rofl:

1 Like

Unlocking worked for me on that page. Maybe a typo?
Or maybe they just added unlocking FP5 during the last 5 hours?

1 Like

Why even is a code required in the first place? Seems awful antagonistic to the goals.
What happens if/when their unlock server goes down? (See LGE…)

That’s what I thought first, so I’ve checked it several times.
However, I just found out that the serial on the box is different than the serial in the About Phone → Model. On the phone there is an extra 0 in front of the serial.

When I try the serial on the box I do get an unlocking code. Unfortunately the phone doesn’t accept it and says “no such phone”. That’s the same message you get when you enter a random unlocking code.

I don’t know, I agree it’s rather annoying.

I somehow can’t imagine them doing this for fun.
The Fairphone 2 didn’t have a lockable bootloader to begin with, and if I remember correctly the Fairphone 3 didn’t require such a code to unlock the bootloader initially, this was introduced with an update somewhen later.

Google certification for Fairphone OS perhaps?

@Marta_Artigas: Why is it required to generate a bootloader unlocking code?

If temporarily … certainly very annoying.
Else (depending on why the code thing is done we probably shouldn’t look forward to an “else” case) they perhaps could supply a script for self use or self hosting (thinking of something like this from the past - Edit: doesn’t work anymore, I might add).

That’s because we cannot send devices that are default unlocked

1 Like

Yes, that’s understandable, but why the extra hassle for the user having to generate a code to unlock, when the OEM unlock switch in the settings could in theory be just switchable without a code?

2 Likes

@AnotherElk
It’s a safeguard against “trying all settings” people :wink:
To enable it only who know what doing…

A prominent warning requiring user confirmation (and perhaps more than one confirmation) would be enough for that. No need to set up a form and a script on a server delivering obscure codes.

3 Likes

… Obviously, but why just not hide it in the developer tools or something?

That’s how OnePlus does it for example:
https://service.oneplus.com/no/search/search-detail?id=2085382

2 Likes

Just confirming, that official instruction “works for me” on Fairphone 5 even when page is mentioning only 3/4. In your case I would contact support for help.

3 Likes

They do.
From Manage the Bootloader" you will also have to enable developer options on your device."

(Confirmation this is the same on the Fairphone 5 is in the previous post. Thanks, @kepi, welcome to the community forum.)

And did you read the part over at OnePlus (your link) from “Download and install Deep-testing apk” on? How is that any better than the code business over here?

1 Like

The package can be stored locally on your computer and can be archived at archival websites

The code can only be generated at the Fairphone website.

Even so I looked around a bit. Samsung requires neither so that is obviously an option.

So the question is, why does Fairphone require a code?

If their corresponding server is down that doesn’t help you, because the App connects to it to submit your IMEI and get the approval status for your application to join the “test program” (your link).

They still require an extra step connecting to the internet, it seems.
According to your link, you’ll first have to take a step to make the OEM unlock switch even appear, then you’ll have to reboot and take the next step to enable OEM unlock, apparently involving some “VaultKeeper” service to do something to finally allow the unlock.

And two more things to consider according to https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-unlock-bootloader-root-magisk-samsung-galaxy-s23/

“Keep in mind that there is no known way to unlock the bootloader of the North American (Canada and the USA) editions of the Galaxy S23.”

“For Galaxy devices, the bootloader unlock is a one-way trip. Even if you restore the stock OS and re-lock the bootloader, you will lose a plethora of Samsung Knox-related features. There is no way to restore the Knox warranty bit other than by replacing the motherboard. Moreover, the regular OTA mechanism will cease working, so you have to flash subsequent software updates on your own. In a nutshell, only attempt to perform the unlocking procedure if you know what you’re doing.”

Yes, the question stands.

1 Like

Hey Anotherelk,

That’s because we deliver our devices to several parties, not only directly to consumers. For security reasons some years back we allowed this way to unlock your bootloader as a working compromise between a completely unlockable bootloader and a fully locked bootloader. This balances the needs of our community with the requirements of some sales partners.

hope that explains it :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Great news, the unlocking code generator page is updated by Fairphone and it generates working codes for my phone!

4 Likes

@Marta_Artigas i’m fine with this method, sure better that above mentioned needing downloading/sideload app for connect to online unlock code generator service…

BTW: my previous phone’s:

• Nokia 7 Plus: WITHOUT official method to unlocking bootloader [must pay for 3rd unlocking service]
  • Motorola Moto G Pro/Stylus (2020): on Motorola web generate code based on IMEI+SN (login requiered)

I tried several times these steps - yes, I get everytime an unlock code - can also type in by OEM Unlocking - but entering the fastboot mode the Device State tells locked.

Welcome to the community forum.

Yes, and then you have to do the steps to unlock the bootloader in fastboot mode, the OEM Unlocking switch in Android just allows you to do this process in fastboot mode, else the necessary commands would be rejected.
Just stick to the plan … https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/10492476238865

4 Likes