Can't figure out some things about FP2 software

Hey guys

So I just received my FP2. So far it is nice except for a few things that I simply cannot figure out. I hope you can help me:

1) Message preview
I don’t like any kind of preview anywhere on my phone. No one holding my phone should have any chance of seeing my private messages or see what I have just done or which apps I have used recently. I easily found out how to hide messages from lockscreen, which is great. But I need it as well when the screen is not locked. It is not possible for me to find the place where I stop my FP2 from previewing my messages when it is unlocked. Can anyone here guide me to where that is? I installed WhatsApp and in the Settings / Notifications there suddenly is nowhere to turn off message preview here as well. Confusing. Can anyone help?

2) Recently used apps
Right next to the main screen picture there is “Recent” and “most used”. I don’t want this to show. Rather I would like a clear screen (like the main screen) where I myself can put any app I want. This is a wish that lies in extend of (1). I have found out how to remove this, but now I cannot figure out how to make a new screen/desktop window, so I can put chosen apps there. Where is this configuration? And also this: When I press the square button, recently used apps appears with the ability to enter them. This should be stopped! :’(

3) Stop vibrating when touching
I am afraid that I might go insane in case this don’t get solved. When I write messages the phone vibrate for each touch I do on the keyboard. I have been to Settings / Sound & notifications / Other sounds and turned off Vibrate on touch, but it still seems to vibrate when touching it. Anyone please help me with this? I don’t wanna go insane :’(

4) Get rid off Google products!
I actually thought that one had to install all Google-software products on FP2 instead of getting them preinstalled. I avoid Google-products as much as I can - not even do I find Google to be a very unethical company, I also find their software to be extremely intimidating and of poor quality. Anyways; can I unsinstall things like Gmail and Drive and Hangouts? I have disabled them now, but would prefer to get completely rid of them as I would never use them and support the existence of them as little as possible.

Thank you very much in advance! I hope also the software is more modular than it seems by my first impression!

J.

1 Like

I just figured out how to deal with Stop vibrating when touching, so now 25% of my problems are solved :slightly_smiling:

I went to Settings / Language and Input / Android Keyboard (AOSP) / Preferences / Vibrate on keypress

yay!!

5 Likes

I don’t think you can uninstall Gmail and other. You can just deactivate them, like you did.

But FP is currently coding a google-free version of Android: http://code.fairphone.com/

You will find many topics and help on this forum to bluid and install it.

1 Like

To get rid off Google products, you first need to root your FP2 which is pretty easy if you follow these instructions. :slight_smile: But when uninstalling Google-related system apps please be careful - I heard of users having (soft-)bricked their phones this way.

1 Like

I can not think of a reasonable reason why Google has hid this in such a deep place…
The place where you looked first seems so much more obvious…

You can create a guest user at settings > users. This way you can give your phone to others without them being able to see your private messages.

Either:

• long tap on a free space on your screen and then go to widgets or
  • perform an edge swipe and go to all apps.

then long tap an app or widget and move it to the right edge of your screen. A new screen will appear. You can then rearange the screens by long tapping a free space on the screen again and then long taping one of the screens and moving it around.

1 Like

Oh God… Is this the only possible way to do this? I just don’t want my private messages to be visible to anyone (myself included), before they are activley opened. This is a standard feature on all phones I have previously owned and heard of. There must be a way…

You can disable notifications, but then you’ll never know if you got a message until you open the app. (Settings > Apps > All)

What about the settings for apps in Sound & notifictions, notifications

Exactly… and that is pretty unhandy :-/

I had no luck there as well :frowning:

You could try different launchers. Maybe there is one that has the option to not show the content of notifications.

Under Sound and Notification / Notification you can choose between:

• Show all notification content
  • Hide sensitive notification content
  • Don’t show notification content

is this what you mean?

1 Like

Hallo

When I go to Sound and Notifications / Notifications I only see a list of all my apps:

Isn’t this “recently used” just a widget? On Fairphone 1 it is a widget which I can remove by long-pressing on it and moving it over the trash can that appears. Is that different on Fairphone 2?

1 Like

You have to go one screen back to this screen and then look at ‘When device is Locked’

There is a setting in sound & notificatons, in section notificatoin, where you can define how much content is shown on the lock screen, if you mean that.

There seems to be a bit of confusement about my problem with message preview. I know my English is sometimes poor when I explain technical stuff, so I try again:

For all in the world I do not want any message preview on my phone. So when I get a text or a message in WhatsApp there should under no circumstances be a preview in the top bar (the one containing Bluetooth icon, battery icon etc.) saying the beginning of the message or the senders name. Nor should there be a preview of any personal message when I put my finger on top of the screen and pull down the menu from the top bar. I don’t want either myself or someone holding/borrowing my phone to be able to tell part of a text or a senders name, before the message itself has been opened.

I can’t figure out how to change this, but it is standard on all other phones I’ve had. I can turn off the possibility of getting a notification at all, but that seems pretty dumb as I will have no idea of when I receive any kind of text.

1 Like

Which phones did you use before? I don’t know any phone with this behaviour. (I think all Android-Phones have the same behaviour.)
I think the reason why there is no option for this is, that no one has needed this before :wink:

One workaround I could think of is that you disable notifications but then use an other app like Dashclock Widget to display them. Dashclock only shows a symbol + counter for unread texts, mails, … but no content.

1 Like