Can't Create 5 GHz Hotspot after Android 12 Update

Good to know, thank you. Now I have more reasons to hate the EU and more reasons to root the phone.

??

It’s just that currently there is a conflict with some important public frequency bands.

1 Like

If 5GHz routers are allowed (which they are, I own one), whatever “conflict” that there is supposed to be that prevents 5GHz hotspots is absolute BS.

1 Like

Some 5Ghz is allowed in the home but not in public, so there is a conflict that means only certain bands are allowed i.e. the low power and low frequency.

I don’t know what the specifics are for a country in the EU but the UK is as follows.

This may give you some idea of the issues at hand

According to the article you linked any restrictions apply only to over 200mW signals.

2 Likes

Yes that the UK version, I couldn’t find any EU ones but there has been mention on the forum . . . somewhere ??

The latest beta supposedly allows you to create 5 GHz hotspots once again.

Haven’t tried it myself yet as I’m at work but will try it later.

1 Like

I tried it. The hotspot no longer turns off instantly on 5 GHz. But it starts on 2.4 GHz band even with the 5 GHz setting (but that may be just due to regulatory reasons; the option is called “5 GHz preferred”, so I think it’s okay).

Guys you are revealing beta updates in the public forum while its not avaialble for everyone. Pleae keep this discussion out of the public forum

3 Likes

This has been supposedly fixed in Software update: FP4.SP2J.B.086.20230807, I still face a few issues though:

• The 5GHz hotspot is really unstable and disconnects connected devices after a few seconds (Turn off hotspost automatically is disabled).
  • It is still impossible to create a 2.4GHz hotspot while being connected to a 5GHz network. You must first disable Wi-Fi (or activate Airplane mode), start a hotspot and then connect to the Wi-Fi again. Otherwise a 5GHz hotspot with the same stability issues is created.

Can anyone confirm this behavior?

Hmmm… while connected to a 5Ghz wifi neither 2.4 nor 5 Ghz Hotspot is stable, its cut after a few seconds, however at the end a Hotspot is meant to be used with mobile data, or?

Without wifi available (tested at home so hat to switch it off), both variants seem to be stable.

Edit: can confirm this behaviour as well…

Why? Sharing a connection to a private Wi-Fi network without revealing your credentials is a perfectly valid use case. Prior to the Android 12 update, this worked just fine.

2 Likes

Ok never thought about this use case, so yes then it should work and I can confirm it doesnt

1 Like

With Android 13 this is still not working, while it works nicely on my company phone from Samsung with A13.

1 Like

Was this reported to Fairphone and did they indicate to be working on it? Maybe opening a new topic would be good, as this is rather a seperate topic? In their public “issue tracker” its (not possible to use 5Ghz hotspot) solved

1 Like

Yes, you are right! That would be a good idea.
I will create a support request… …Done (ID 1087757)

I reported it on August 24th. No answer yet.

1 Like

Also with Android 13?

1 Like