Can't Create 5 GHz Hotspot after Android 12 Update

Apparently a 2.4Ghz connection doesn’t work either. It is up for a minute before my computer disconnects from it and it is no longer visible. Had to dig out my old OnePlus phone to use as a hotspot. I wonder if there are the same issues if I install e/OS/…?

1 Like

Same problem for me. Can’t activate the screenshots either…

There is an option to automatically turn off the hotspot if no clients are connected. Maybe FP wrongly evaluates the condition? Can you try with this set to off?

1 Like

Hi! I have tried this but same issue. Now what I have done is a complete factory reset/wipe of the phone. It seems that this made 2.4Ghz work but I still can’t create a 5Ghz hotspot.

I just tried to open the AP on my FP4 and my Fritz.Repeater sees the AP on 5GHz even if 2.4GHz is configured on the phone. So I am not sure if there is an option to tun it on 2.4GHz explicitly. Switching the band to 5GHz preferred the AP gets turned off as you all described it already.

1 Like

Oh my ******* ***. Are there even tests? Is there any QC at all? I couldn’t even create a 5GHz hotspot on Android 11, that’s an expected behavior actually (at least in EU). But now selecting 2.4Ghz results in a 5GHz hotspot. That’s just stupid. I use a Wi-Fi hotspot almost exclusively for a baby monitor. You know what’s actually good about 2.4GHz? Unlike 5GHz, it will pass through a damn wall (or even multiple walls). :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Thats my FP3 connected with my FP4 set to 2.4Ghz

This is really strange, after switching to WPA2 and back to WPA3 it is not on 5 GHz anymore but as configured on 2.4GHz. I checked it before with Wifi Analyzer app and the fritz repeater and both showed it on 5GHz while now it seems to be correct. Makes me feel kind of stupid :wink:

I have the same problem.

I confirm my FP4 refuses to provide a hotspot (the toggle returns to “off”) if the 5 GHz preference option is selected.

The hotspot functions correctly if 2.4 GHz is selected. And the network is really 2.4 GHz, I’ve seen download values of 72 or 52 Mbps.

Yes, both have their advantages and disadvantages. Longer range in the 2.4 band is handy for a baby monitor, but it makes for more congestion in crowded urban scenarios. The shorter range of 5 GHz leads to less interference with neighbouring networks.

I just tried again and for me it seems that the band setting in the Hotspot config is not used at all:

After a short while the AP disappears again (even if the option to automatically switch it off, is disabled). Even if devices are connected the AP gets disconnected and does not appear in the list of available networks anymore. On the FP4 it is still marked as running, though.

Here is my settings on the FP4:

1 Like

I think I managed to find out what’s going on. If you are connected to a 5GHz network and at that moment you try to start a 2.4GHz hotspot, it ignores your settings and starts a 5GHz hotspot instead. And after a while it completely stops responding (the hotspot is running according to the phone, but it’s not visible to any device at all). As @tomarc pointed out, putting the phone in airplane mode or simply disconnecting from a 5GHz Wi-Fi (or connecting to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi) enables you to start an actual 2.4GHz hotspot. (This as a result will also prevent you to connect to a 5GHz network while the hotspot is running.)

6 Likes

When is this supposed to be getting fixed? I mean, the current behavior is somewhat irritating (if you want to put it very very positive) or - very directly speaking - unacceptable that configs are not being considered and the phone does whatever the system “thinks” it should do (the “Apple Way”).

Hard to tell. :man_shrugging: I haven’t yet received any response from support regarding the Android 12 issues.

1 Like

OMG, you’ve got it! Now everything starts to make sense. Are you reporting these findings to FP support?

2 Likes

Yeah, definitely. I hope they’ll fix this soon.

1 Like

Yeah definitely ends upp only being 2.4Ghz whatever you do. As I stated earlier I did a hard reset just to get this to work and now I can only choose a 2.4GZ setting, Confirmed on my connected laptop

Another question: If I choose WPA2/WPA3 my old tablet cannot connect. This only works with WPA2.

I thought the transition ode should make it possible to use WPA3 for devices supporting it and use a fallback to WPA2 if needed. Any idea why that is not working this way?

I have it set to WPA2/WPA3 as well and as you can see in the Screenshot above they FP3 showed “WPA/WPA2” . The FP3 is not WPA3 certified and could not connect to it,so it seems rollback works at least sometimes or the issue is your tablet in this case?

2 Likes

It seems that my tablet does not role back when connectiong to the FP4 hotspot. It should be able to do so, as I can use my Fritz.Repeater and/or -Box. I will try after a reboot of the tablet and cleaning stuff. Maybe that helps…

EDIT: Cleaning Cache and rebooting the tablet help. It takes quite some time, but finally it will use WPA2 with the transition mode being active on the FP4 hotspot.

1 Like