Can't Create 5 GHz Hotspot after Android 12 Update

Also see this thread on XDA:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/bypass-5ghz-hotspot-restriction.3921689/

Using 5 GHz hotspots is often not possible due to regulations. However it would still be less confusing, if the 5 GHz option would work as advertised: “5.0 GHz band preferred” means “try 5 GHz if possible, but do a fallback to 2.4 GHz if needed”. But in reality with that option enabled, the hotspot usually does not work at all and the users just don’t know why.

1 Like

This is very irritating. I find no indication that mobile 5g hotspots are banned in Europe.
Is it possible to get an official statement on this please @mods?

2 Likes

Hi and welcome. Please note @mods does not notify anyone beside the fact that this is a user forum (incl the moderators) so we cant give you any official statements to anything. So you either #contactsupport or do some “legal” search in the internet.

2 Likes

Intel has a section in their documentation which also confirms this:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000029083/wireless.html

Quote:

Regulatory limitations exist in certain countries, where hotspot is not allowed to operate on the 5GHz band by itself.

So this looks quite “official” to me when even Intel documents this behaviour for their devices.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Yes, that is expected, since 5 GHz mobile hotspots are not allowed in Europe (in forum there are other posts about this as well including references to the legal regulations). Also you may have to manually turn off Wifi before you can enable the hotspot.

1 Like

Good to know, thank you. Now I have more reasons to hate the EU and more reasons to root the phone.

??

It’s just that currently there is a conflict with some important public frequency bands.

1 Like

If 5GHz routers are allowed (which they are, I own one), whatever “conflict” that there is supposed to be that prevents 5GHz hotspots is absolute BS.

1 Like

Some 5Ghz is allowed in the home but not in public, so there is a conflict that means only certain bands are allowed i.e. the low power and low frequency.

I don’t know what the specifics are for a country in the EU but the UK is as follows.

This may give you some idea of the issues at hand

According to the article you linked any restrictions apply only to over 200mW signals.

2 Likes

Yes that the UK version, I couldn’t find any EU ones but there has been mention on the forum . . . somewhere ??

The latest beta supposedly allows you to create 5 GHz hotspots once again.

Haven’t tried it myself yet as I’m at work but will try it later.

1 Like

I tried it. The hotspot no longer turns off instantly on 5 GHz. But it starts on 2.4 GHz band even with the 5 GHz setting (but that may be just due to regulatory reasons; the option is called “5 GHz preferred”, so I think it’s okay).

Guys you are revealing beta updates in the public forum while its not avaialble for everyone. Pleae keep this discussion out of the public forum

3 Likes

This has been supposedly fixed in Software update: FP4.SP2J.B.086.20230807, I still face a few issues though:

• The 5GHz hotspot is really unstable and disconnects connected devices after a few seconds (Turn off hotspost automatically is disabled).
  • It is still impossible to create a 2.4GHz hotspot while being connected to a 5GHz network. You must first disable Wi-Fi (or activate Airplane mode), start a hotspot and then connect to the Wi-Fi again. Otherwise a 5GHz hotspot with the same stability issues is created.

Can anyone confirm this behavior?

Hmmm… while connected to a 5Ghz wifi neither 2.4 nor 5 Ghz Hotspot is stable, its cut after a few seconds, however at the end a Hotspot is meant to be used with mobile data, or?

Without wifi available (tested at home so hat to switch it off), both variants seem to be stable.

Edit: can confirm this behaviour as well…

Why? Sharing a connection to a private Wi-Fi network without revealing your credentials is a perfectly valid use case. Prior to the Android 12 update, this worked just fine.

2 Likes