Cannot unlock the bootloader

Hello everyone,

I’ve just received my Fairphone 4 and I’m trying to install CalyxOS. I am familiar with the process as I’ve done it before with an old Pixel 3, but I can’t seem to be able to unlock the bootloader, and I cannot get why…
As several other people have asked on this forum, I’m blocked at the “Waiting for Device” step, when I entered “fastboot flashing unlock”. I did enable EOM unlock and USB debugging. And I’ve tried the operation on both Linux and Windows with the exact same error (on Windows, I updated the drivers, just in case). I’ve connected my FP4 to Wi-Fi so it should work too. My cable should be good enough, I went through the installation of Android ROMS before with it (and I’ve also tried a few others. Maybe they’re not suited for such data transfer anymore but I doubt it). I’ve also tried the CalyxOS installer to see if it would work, but still nothing. I can only choose between “Restart bootloader”, “Recovery Mode” or “Power off".
So I’m kinda running out of idea. Thus this topic. Does anyone know what could be happening right now ?

Thanks a lot in advance :smiley:

Did you try different cables and USB ports?
Root/sudo when Linux?
Is the cable working for data transfer? And for ADB debugging?

If it still doesn’t work you might try to contact a fairphoneangel near you and ask for help.

1 Like

Hello Volker,

Thank you for your reply !
I have indeed tried several USB ports and cables (even multiples computeurs), and the cables worked for data transfer (20Go of music have been transferredfrom my computer to the fp4 so I guess it should be okay) and ADB debug so… I’ll try my luck with sudo this evening when I’m back from work ! But on Windows, it should have worked right away, right ?

So just to be sure how did you do and what drivers did you update, because actually missing bootloader driver are most times the issue with windows

And what types of cable USB-C to USB-C or also USB-A to C?

1 Like

Hello yvmuell !

So just to be sure how did you do and what drivers did you update, because actually missing bootloader driver are most times the issue with windows

I followed the first part of this guide : https://calyxos.org/install/devices/FP4/windows/
So got into fastboot, connected to my computer and installed the .inf file
Is it okay ? Maybe it wasn’t the right driver ?

And what types of cable USB-C to USB-C or also USB-A to C?

I’ve tried both, but mostly USB-C to USB-C

I dont know what Calyx suggests reg driver on Windows and I guess following the steps I copied above is easily done to ensure there isnt anything missing.

And I would rather go with USB-A to C , if I remember correctly from reading here the chance is higher they work

Okay so for whatever reason, sudo worked on Linux, but only with my USB-C to A cable plugged in a USB 2 port at the back of my desktop.
I have no idea why, but it worked eventually ahah
So just in case someone stumbles on the same problem as I did, maybe try on a USB 2 port ! (I don’t know if sudo is also necessary or only the USB 2 port)

Anyway, problem solved, thanks a lot everyone !

1 Like