Cannot shut down or restart after latest Fairphone update

Hi,
I updated my Fairphone 4 yesterday (Android 13) and all seemed to be ok, but I just found out I can’t shut down or restart the phone anymore.
When pressing the power button nothing happens on the display.
I can turn the phone off by removing the battery, can also restart by pushing the power button.
Is this a known bug? Are there other ways to shut down a FP4 than removing the battery?

Thank you

4 Likes

Settings → System → Gestures → Press & hold power button → Power menu

Alternatively, you can turn off the phone from quick settings (swipe twice from the top and then tap on the button in the bottom right corner).

15 Likes

A third way for shutdown menu would be to simultaneously press power and vol-down (or vol-up, don’t remember exactly).

1 Like

Volume-up (and Power) is the correct one to shut down the phone.
Volume down (and Power) takes a screen shot.

7 Likes

thank you! that works!

thank you! that works, too :-)!

Hi, after upgrading to android 13, I can no longer shutdown/reboot using the power button, every time I try Google assistant pops up either to offer ‘help’ if activated or to ask me to activate if currently deactivated. There is no getting around this. Had anyone else else encountered this and any idea of a fix?

Hi and welcome, please read above

1 Like

Hi, thanks. I can indeed shutdown by other means, but this remains a bug as the power button no longer works due to Google assistant interfering whether turned on or off.

Again, please read above, all posts! I dont see a bug here, as this can be changed doing this

3 Likes

Apologies, correct I didn’t read all posts, just trying to shutdown by any means - gestures it is.

1 Like

Thanks so much for this @Razem.
I thought I must’ve done something silly to get it coming up with the Google Assistant instead of powering off the phone and I’d never have thought of looking under Gestures to be able to reset the power button!

Very grateful to you and to you, @yvmuell for pointing us to Razem’s solution,
Warmest thanks, Andrea

4 Likes

It’s not you that were silly, it’s the default choice implemented in this new “feature”. They obviously wanted to make sure that All The World was aware that Google Assistant could be made even more accessible.
Changing the default behaviour of something as basic as the Power button without asking the user was, to my mind, ridiculous.

3 Likes

Ah, one of these now ubiquitous ‘Come all ye faithful, let Google hold your hand through life’ invitations… .
I made a big (for me) leap in moving from FP2 to FP4; next time I hope to be able to leap to a Google free phone :blush::crossed_fingers::four_leaf_clover:
Thank you again @OldRoutard !

2 Likes

Now holding the power button for a bit doesn’t make the prompt appear anymore. It will only force shutdown my phone if I hold it long enough.

Is there any way to enable this prompt again?

Press volume up + power button.
This behaviour is something of Android 13, but it can be changed in the settings.

1 Like

Its in the Settings - mine was the same but I can’t remember what the option was under sorry

Please read above for all options

1 Like

I’ve got my Fairphone 4 for about a week now. Android update from 12 till 13, I tried to remove the unwanted assistent, for now I think/hope sucesfully.
This morning I wanted to restart the system by holding the powernob a few secondes, later I tried the powernob and volume high simultanuosly. I don’t even get the choice Window.
What am I doing wrong?

Hi and welcome to the community forum.

You should be able to access the power menu by swiping down which will open the quick access pane. From there, swipe down again and you’ll see the on / off symbol bottom right.