Camera says SD card full

Hi and welcome to the forum

• The slowness may be due to you using HDR
  • If you ever elect to use an SD card do not format it as internal.
  • Depending upon how many extra apps you have installed, you may like to try starting in safe mode

https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048843571

1 Like

You can try to clear cache and storage of the camera app. If this does not help, as a workaround another camera app might work, like e.g. Open Camera

1 Like

Seems the Open Camera app is the only way to ‘fix’ the camera issue - however it is a bit limited, so I am sad the issue can’t really be fixed.

Regarding the memory issue. It may be the info is regarding the RAM available not the static memory.

I would check with support for a solution #contactsupport

If you are familiar with the android usb debugging option, especially adb, I’d be interested in the output of

$ adb shell df -h /storage/emulated/
$ adb shell
FP3:/ $ df -h /storage/emulated/

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/fuse 48G 39G 8.6G 82% /storage/emulated

On my end the UI refers to 9.3GB of free storage while the console tool reports 8.6GB. It would be interesting if there is some app side cache for a messenger or so which is not accounted in the UI storage statistics which would be filling up your 10GB of free space into the region of ~5GB reported in your own reference which is a “confirmed” quota for this error message. (Iam too lazy to calculate if this discrepancy on my FP3 is due to distinguishing effect GB ↔ GiB or that data placed on FS is aranged in blocks, thus taking more space)

1 Like

I have the same problem with my FP3+ & 256 GB SD Card as internal storage from Day 1 when I started to use it.
GCam, Taking Pictures in Messenger Apps, Screenshots - everything works fine, but when I want to use FP3+ normal Camera App to take a quick shot, it states that “There is no space on the SD Card”.

Seems like Internal Storage SD Cards make decent amount of problems for FP’s - a few weeks ago, I had an app not working proberly on “external” Storage SD Card, so with a lot of space (around 8 GB) left on internal, I simply tried to transfer it. At around 90% it states that the app couldnt be transferred through a lack of space on internal storage. The App’s size is around 200mb.
Only possible workaround was to pull out SD Card - download App - insert SD Card again.

Surely by now you have read the SD card Guide, :slight_smile: and other posts that indicate in no uncertain terms that using internal storage for the SD card if fraught with problems and if i go by anecdote on other \Android phones too.

I’ve read this Guide but didnt expect that of such a big issue to overcome and also thought that this will be addressed in future updates.

Other Android Devices I use in Business with SD Card as internal Storage dont have any of these problems, so I dont see why FP’s have to be special again at this point

Yes the Guide may not indicate that it is such a big issue but clearly advises against such :frowning:

This seems to be an ongoing issue for years, so I am also surprised there has been no resolution, especially as Fairphone has to successfully complete over 500,000 test to get Google certification to use Android.

It get’s really strange as it has worked until 1-2 months ago.

I’m using my FP3+ in that setup for 1,5 years now, always using Fairphone Camera App when I need quick or storage efficient shots and GCam when I need “fancy” shots that I want to adjust in the Google Photos app afterwards.

From timestamps and Image Prefixes, I can say the last picture I shot with FP Camera App is from mid of December '21

So I guess the root cause is a change in an update (yet again)

Many thinks can have changed in that time period of three months apart from the, as yet, unknown issue with internal formatting.

Worth noting is that info and media stored on an internally formatted SD card is inaccessible if anything goes wrong as it is encrypted to the phone and unreadable elsewhere. So unless the data is uploaded to a ‘Google’ or other cloud you may lose everything on the SD card ~ the best reason for formatting as Portable/External

Not sure when you last updated the FP3 but mine was 22nd Dec 2021

Hello all,
Sadly I’m experiencing the same issues - and have been for months:
“Your SC card is running out of space. Change the quality setting or delete some images or other files.”

Going to Camera > Settings shows that Storage is set to ‘Phone’ currently, with no option to change this.
Settings > Storage shows I have 5.04 GB free.

I have:

• Cleared Camera storage and cache
  • Emptied Google Photos > Library > Bin
  • Tried numerous restarts

Going to Settings > System > Advanced > System update shows that my system is up to date (Android version: 11, Android security update: 5 April 2022).

Does anyone know of a solution, beyond using other camera apps?

Thank you in advance!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Which camera app do you use. The default has the option to store on an SD card.

Also do you have the SD card formatted as internal or portable. If you’ve formatted as internal then you may have problems. 5G is not much memory for the phone keep as spare.

Have you read the above posts ?
etc.

not since Android 11, or did I miss anything?

1 Like

Stock Camera does not CURRENTLY allow directly saving to SD. Known bug.

No you are correct I am using a Beta version where it has been sorted : Apologies again :slight_smile:

No worries - Thank you all for trying to help. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
EDIT: I use the built in ‘Camera’ app

Well you could try Open Camera. This app has no issues saving to SD card and it’s quite good. Available from Play Store and F-Droid among others.

Thank you. I have installed Open Camera after reading some of the above posts. It is a shame that this issue plagues the built-in app!

1 Like