Camera experience on FP4

Ok, I do some reseach and there seems to be some alternatives for the (in my eyes) useless camera app.

So i need some simple advise for a camera app, that:

• has a simple user interface for setting shutter speed and ISO easily
  • don’t need google photo as gallery app (I’m using DV gallery)
  • can use the OIS
  • can use both cameras (the main and wide angle one)

I read a lot about this gCam thing, but I’m not into this thing and it don’t seems to be something like opening the playstore and installing an app. so is there a short explaination for that? How save is it? I don’t using clouds and de-activated the most google apps.

When you do some search in the forum you will see that points 2+4 are not possible or you need to test (open Camera can open via another gallery e.g.)

For 2 just follow the link above for further information.

Reg 4:

Also for GCam Plesse search the forum and read, the information is available and already to be found in the links above

I moved your post to this other topic where you already started the Discussion.

Edit: not sure if you can achieve what you want reg OIS, overall just download some apps and do some Tests,

Here is a link to a version of Gcam
Download and click on downloaded file etc

More options

1 Like

Maybe I should tell about my last phone

BQ Aquaris X Pro - from 2017. The camera app was simple but effective. The sensor and lens were ok, but no high tech. Together it was easy to make good pictures. I don’t understand what is the problem five years later to get a fair solution with a much better hardware. The Fairphone cost 650 bucks (twice my old phone), so quality in hard and software should not be an issue. I don’t expect wonders, but a good midclass quality. I’m a photographer - i know what I’m doing in case of photography.

And a second time: I don’t understand this whole app thing above selecting an app from the playstore and installing it. This gCam thing seems to be some more complicated. For this I opened a new topic here. Thanks for puting it into another topic with not that specific reason.

It’s not that arduous.

Download the file, double click to install ???

Try the Nikta one as mentioned

1 Like

I assume you already tested the Pro Mode of the installed App where you can set ISO, White Balance, AF etc manually? There is no other way then testing a bit what suits you best, one likes an app for some reason, another one another app for another reason. Apologies, without a bit of reading and testing it will be difficult to find what you are searching for.

In my eyes the quality is good enough in good lightning conditions and I think what one finds good enough is quite subjective…

Here an example from somone who also understands what he is doing in terms of photography

Here some shots (incl Tutorial) shared on Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgrNdKGAReh/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

3 Likes

Those are ideal conditions for the Fairphone. Grainy skies, not too much or too low light. No bright colors. The environment is basically tuned to what the FP camera will most it the time produce :slight_smile:

And now?

You need to go to App info of Firefox and enable Install unknown apps.

2 Likes

So I tried the gcam, but there seem to be no chance to choose shutter speed or ISO or HDR or not HDR.

Not my style. I need control about the parameters.

The lite version of Pro Camera X often freezes.
C-FV5 is ok, but somehow not intuitive. Both lack about the wide angle lens.

This can definitely be chosen. I use the one by BSG. Try that one instead of the one by Nikita

1 Like

Not sure which gcam you are using. But with Nikita 8.*

But there is still no chance for changing shutter speed or ISO.

Ha! You don’t seem to be very adventurous with the checking the ‘options’ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m just used to more intuitive GUIs :crazy_face:

1 Like

So what GUIs (plural) are you used to?

The Camera app of the BQ X Pro with direct access to exposure compensation, shutter speed, ISO, white ballance, HDR-modes, flash.

The app is simple and its jpg engine produces with a sensor that should be much worse than the one of the FP4 better pictures than the app of the FP4.

Pro Camera X often freezes, but the user interface is quite good.

C-FV5 seems to be more stable, but the interface is somehow more arkward (keeping last used modes, setting spot exposure and spot AF)

Other GUIs?
I can work with real cameras :grimacing:

2 Likes

The BQ camera app:

simple, effective, jpg engine works fine, ettr raws are possible, a panaroma mode that works better than my DSLM. If I could, i would install it to the FP4.

3 Likes

Hello dear Community,
I’ve switched to the FP4 as my main phone after 4 years of using a Xiaomi Pocophone F1.
I’ve been through this forum prior the purchase of the FP4. Which got me curious if the phone’s camera(s) are really that bad.
Well, here I am. My FP4 runs on stock Android 11 with stock firmware.
build no. FP4.FP4l.A.175.20221207
After so many people suggested Open Camera (which I have experience with from older phones) I gave it a shot (because I like to have a lot of settings and to shoot in raw too).
Development of raw dng files was done in Lightroom.
Despite the popularity of the image sensor Sony IMX 582 which can be found in a lot of other phones, I think the photos the FP4 puts out, are underwhelming.
So far for now. If anyone wants to see the pictures I took, just reply.
Thanks and have a great day,

Kind regards,
FP4

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Yes it’s a bit of a conundrum as to what is ‘wrong’