Camera as QR reader

Am I missing something or are there plans to enable the camera to act as a QR code reader. There maybe a very sound reason that it does not, just asking? Thanks

2 Likes

You can either edit your quick settings and add a “Scan QR code” button to your selection or install a QR code reader app of your choice. Have you already tried any of these two options?

2 Likes

And as third Option: I use my browser…

1 Like

No, as a 70+ I was not born into this world and have until now assumed if the facility was there it was accessible. Will explore now. Thanks

Used to have connex barcode reader but to much data mining and chunky so without any at the moment.

You mean for example picture search in Chrome?

Perhaps this helps:

Swipe from the top of the display twice (or swipe with two fingertips once) to find a pencil :pencil2: icon on the right. Tap on the pencil and go into the button options in the lower half. By holding and moving an icon you can drag it into your selection in the upper half. Once you have done that, you might need to go back with the left arrow in the top left (I’m not sure if this is needed to confirm the re-arranging).

4 Likes

No some/many Browser have this icon to scan Barcodes, some at the top others more at the bottom

maybe Urs explenation using the quick menu is the easiest option. Apps in the Play store are full of tracker and stuff.

1 Like

Found it. Thank you never even thought of looking there. Every day is a learning day :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Btw: if 3rd app, then from F-Droid : Binary Eye

4 Likes

Brilliant excellent recommendation thank you

I used to use SecScanQR from F-Droid with my FP2 already and so I installed it on my FP5, too. Unfortunately it failed to focus initially. I just tried it again and it seems like this was fixed with one of the latest Fairphone software updates. So now it’s fully usable which is cool because it cannot only scan QR codes but also barcodes which I sometimes use while shopping if I want to find more information about a product that I have in front of me and I’m too lazy to type its name or description into a search engine.

2 Likes

You can also just tap on the colored camera symbol at the right side of the Google bar on the home screen. Then tap on “Search with your camera” and you can not only search for information on things you see with the camera but also scan QR codes.

2 Likes

The standard Camera app does have a “Google Lens” button at the bottom that gives access to translations etc and also recognises QR codes.

2 Likes