CalyxOS (is coming to) is here for FP4!

latform-tools/lib64/:“$PATH” ./flash-all.sh
fastboot too old; please download the latest version at SDK Platform Tools release notes  |  Android Developers

Does /home/carrabelloy/platform-tools/lib64/ on your system contain an up to date version of the fastboot binary?

1 Like

I don’t know and where to find them

Let’s continue this in the :de: thread please, this is turning OT.

Most people involved at the moment will be able to help there as well.

Because you mentioned that path, I presupposed that you have downloaded a current version there. I think that to-old-error-message mentions a source for the download?

Let’s continue this in the :de: thread please, this is turning OT.

Most people involved at the moment will be able to help there as well.

I got CalyxOS 3.8.0 automatically installed and wasn’t even able to prepare Magisk, so Root is now gone and I need to re-patch current boot.img and flash it, damn.

It’s nice to see an update, but auto-install while charging is not my favorite… Have you a current zip-DL link yet @hirnsushi?

1 Like

I’ve uploaded a patched CalyxOS-3.8.0-magisk-boot.img, if that’s what you need.

The factory image is available here. (Huh, that still contains the previous release FP4-sq3a.220705.003.a1, but they changed the name :thinking:)

I did get autoupdated BTW, because I forgot to disable it, but the installer asked me to reboot, it didn’t happen automatically.

2 Likes

CalyxOS 3.8.0 release news:

1 Like

That seems wrong, could you feedback in their GitLab repo? They want to make this stable tomorrow, but FP4 wouldn’t be up-to-date then, right?

But you could not uninstall Magisk either then?

Well, I’m still getting the link by modifying the URL with the current build number, that’s likely just the result of some CI pipeline.
But even if it isn’t, that’s not a problem, since FP haven’t released a new update since then, so there isn’t a risk of tripping Anti Rollback Protection anyway :man_shrugging:
I’ll check what’s happening on GitLab later :slightly_smiling_face:

I could install Magisk just fine, the installer for some reason didn’t even care about my modified boot.img (maybe this has been a full OTA :thinking:), so all I had to do was install Magisk to the other slot and reboot myself.

Edit: Just reread the release anouncement:

Factory images will be available at that time as well

So yeah, probably just not fed into the pipeline yet.

1 Like

I rebooted and now have lost root… will reflash the patched boot.img tomorrow, have no access to adb,/fastboot right now ;-). So there was no FP4-update for August yet?

Nope, but at least the rest is at the August level now:

Platform: 5 August 2022
Kernel: 5 August 2022
Vendor: 5 July 2022
Firmware: 5 July 2022

I’m hopeful for the September update to arrive earlier this time :crossed_fingers: :slightly_smiling_face:

We will also be releasing the September Security update next week with Android 12L for these devices

1 Like

@hirnsushi I tried to patch the boot.img from FP4-factory-22308020.zip, which works (magisk showed no errors). But I can’t boot from that image anymore. I do get an error message" Cannot load Android system. Your data may be corrupt… etc.". If I chose “Try again” it’s booting, but not from the patched boot.img. Any ideas :-(?

Edit: Booting from an unpatched boot.img still works… weird.

Edit 2: Don’t ask me why, but at first I was patching a boot.img, which I had on my SDCard in the FP4 (which is exFAT). I then tried it from the internal storage (as magisk also writes the patched boot.img into the Download folder) and used that patched boot.img… and it works. WHAT is that?

As I’ve mentioned above…

FP4-factory-22308020.zip are the new factory images by name only, there’s still the previous release inside. So you are patching a 3.7.2 image and try to run it on a 3.8.0 system, which will throw some errors, but still should be fastboot bootable to install Magisk afterwards.
I’ve uploaded a boot.img that’s been pulled straight from a running 3.8.0 system, patched with Magisk, for exactly that reason :point_down:

Maybe pull both boot.imgs to your PC and compare their hashes :thinking:
If it works, it works though :smirk:

1 Like

Hi all,
I have received a FP4 and would like to install Calyx directly. I have two questions before I begin:

1. Reading in @hirnsushi’s comment that the September update may come soon, I was thinking that it may be better to wait for it, as I’m in no hurry. What do you think?

2. What’s the situation with the lock the bootloader issue? I have read the threads about Calyx on the forum, as well as the Trapped in fastboot one and it seems that some people managed to relock the bootloader while others bricked the phone, both in August. Should I leave it unlocked just to be sure, or should I try to lock it if fastboot flashing get_unlock_ability is set to 1. As you would guess, I don’t want to brick the phone and I was getting cold feet reading all the stories about bricked phone after a Calyx, iodé or /e/ install, but it would feel weird to use Fairphone OS after 6 years on Lineage or FPopenOS on my FP2…

1. I would wait for 3.8.0 to be released as stable / factory images, which should happen any minute now. OTA updates have been completely flawless so far, so once the September update becomes available you can just upgrade.
  2. The two most important things to look out for is, as you said, checking get_unlock_ability and making sure you don’t install a ROM that has a patch level older then the one you were running before.
    I still wouldn’t recommend it, there’s still some risk involved, but if you do lock your bootloader, make sure you meet both requirements.
3 Likes

Thanks for the fast answer! I will not lock it then.

Good recommendation not to lock. Question: If I would lock any time later- what would happen? Are data deleted again? Hope not!