Call quality and noise cancellation (regular calls, handsfree, Signal voice messages, Microsoft Teams video calls)

Still no word about a fix. Last reply I got from FP was that they find it strange I have these issues, it should work according to them.

I think we can scrap that one off the list of quick fixes. It never worked for me and more and more people say it doesn’t change anything.

Best to get that proof of purchase. It’s also needed for your extended warranty.

1 Like

I know I am trying to get it but feel like shit to bother someone for this !

1 Like

It’s in that person’s email box. That person can just forward it. If it makes you feel better, you can give the person a free drink for that small favor.

Hi, bought my FP4 in sept 2022. From the beginning the wellknown problems with the handsfree calls but also the bad voice quality (metal). I did a request to the helpdesk and their solutions didn’t work. It became a little bit better after removing some google things, but when i remove all google apps/things i get messages it is not possible to call……so i did another request…….next week i m gonna phone them. I m great fan of the goals and how the phone is build up but very very dissatisfied about the basis: a phone is made to call people and that people can hear you…and that s not the case……i would not buy again.

2 Likes

I don’t really think disabling/removing Google apps will solve or improve the call quality. It’s not a reproducible workaround. So I suppose something else is happening. I suppose the issue is a mix of poor noise cancellation (which also means your call quality may be different depending on ambient noise), type of codecs being used, microphone calibration and carrier support.

You’re not alone in this friend. The critique against Fairphone is growing by the day, and unfortunately little seems to be done to win people over. Zero communication, zero ETA’s, zero fixes for year-long issues.

I’m hoping Android 12 will make the Fairphone 4 usable as a phone again, but I’m not counting on it.

1 Like

Growing by the day?

Do you have statistics?

1 Like

Yes I agree, that’s highly questionable.

Given there are an increasing amount of sales then I would expect there to be an increase in complaints.

Howvere the only way to measure if that is a proportional increase would be to count the number of individual issues complained about, month by month and proportion that against monthly sales.

I’m sure Fairphone do that but not any of the forum users. :slight_smile:

No, but if you check the thread about Android 12 or the thread about more frequent security updates, you’ll notice plenty of people upset over the lack of updates for both the phone and from Fairphone about what’s going on. I expect that discussion to start again any time, seeing as we’re once again 2 months behind on security updates which will result in work apps refusing to work, etc.

This thread is about the bare minimum of a phone not working properly: The flipping audio quality during calls. That right there is something that will make new users laugh and return their phones.

Lack of updates maybe, but call quality problems? What’s the link between the 2?

1 Like

not everyone has this issue, so no not all will be send back… and zero improvement/fixes is neither correct

FP support is still unreachable. So I guess there are complaints. In the beginning they said the backlog was due to covid, by now that can’t be the problem anymore. And since they merge all kinds of reported issues into one single ticket, which are not related, and then close that single ticket without any feedback, I guess they don’t shy away from just closing unsolved tickets. But the queue comes back just as fast.

3 Likes

Today I have updated my ticket concerning my call quality problems (my regular test call today again lead to a barely understandable voice recording) and I am still hoping for a solution. When I read your comment, @UPPERCASE , I fear that creating tickets won’t help…

What I fear most is an urgent call and nobody understands what I am saying (police, firefighters, hospital,…)

6 Likes

Or wife, that’s no fun either…

4 Likes

FP support IS reachable.

I had an answer to a case (no click while inserting an SD card) in several days, posted by mail by the end of '22…

1 Like

Hopefully you also got a real answer and not a canned reply or something like that, and that you will not receive any follow up after that. I hope 2023 will be the turning point. I know I sometimes sound negative about Fairphone. I still fully support their mission. But if something broken is introduced since launch or noticed being broken after just using a FP OS update for 5 minutes and things don’t get fixed, I think it’s okay to be upset about that. Their Android 12 launch will hopefully fix most of the issues.

5 Likes

Whatever the quality of support (never used them), there is a problem which creates a lot of bad will and anxiety, and that is the utter lack of (non-marketing) communication.
All communication coming from Fairphone seems to come straight from cloud cuckoo land, a perfect, idealized world without the slightest connection to the actual reality.
I agree that might lure potential buyers, but on the other hand it will also make them flee in horror when they discover the actual truth, which is bound to happen sooner or later…

And sorry, no, the fact FP is small is not an excuse. I’ve worked for tiny (initially at least) startups, where everyone had to do the job of 2-3 people, and still, satisfying (or at least placating) our clients was nevertheless a priority. Because strangely enough, it was our clients who were paying our bills… :crazy_face:

TL;DR: Fairphone should communicate, often, and not just some emotional gushing every half a year. They should give status reports, reassure people that they’re still on the ball as a company, and not falling apart or already gone.
What would it take? 1-2 (wo)man-hours a month? I’m sure they can afford this, and it would position them as an open, serious, responsible company who has nothing to hide and takes customer satisfaction seriously.
Just my 2 cents worth…

4 Likes

I’m having troubles with my fairphone 4 on Orange network Belgium when I want to call. People i’m calling are not hearing me or hear me very bad. When i’m calling over Wifi via Whatsapp people hear me clearly. Trying to solve the problem since months with Fairphone and Orange but no one seems to find a proper solution. Orange say it’s a problem with Fairphone. Fairphone asked to change all mics devices and some other updates but still the same problem. For me it’s quite simple if you want to offer a good customer service. You just replace the phone. Anyone with a similar problem ?

1 Like

Hi and welcome, I moved your post here, as you are clearly not alone with this, still I think so far it was not possible to really resolve this as not everyone has this issue.

Thanks for putting my post here. So what are the solutions for this ? Do I ask for a new phone ?