Call quality and noise cancellation (regular calls, handsfree, Signal voice messages, Microsoft Teams video calls)

:thinking: Indeed, I too have the nagging suspicion there might be several, different problems here.

In my case, there is one problem probably with overenthusiastic noise canceling (or some such, since it reliably happens when there is lots of background noise around me), and another, unrelated problem with sub-optimal telephone connection sound (missing bits) getting badly post-processed, making it even worse.

Yes, I could buy some prepaid plan, but as I said it’s too much hassle, because simply entering the SIM won’t be enough. Given the (my) problem is intermittent. I would need to actually use that new account for a while to gather any statistically significant data points…
And I definitely don’t have the time or the mood for that. Not while being stuck here working while my whole family is at the beach having fun… Also why bother when Fairphone doesn’t care. :imp:

1 Like

I agree, this kind of tests should be done by FP support team.
In my case, I have noise issues when I activate speakerphone on classic phone calls, not tested with apps as WhatsApp or Teams. Compared with a Samsung S10, with S10 no noise at all in the same situations.
I’ve opened a ticket to FP support.

3 Likes

I have this same problem now. people can barely hear me on the other side.

The solution (or hack really) is to use a usb-c headset / earbuds with microphone until Fairphone support can solve this in the firmware / software.

1 Like

Just a question to those having mic issues. Have you tried installing lineage? Haven’t Been in the forum much so correct me if it isn’t possible but is downgrading to a11 an option?

Android 11 or 12 didn’t make a difference for me in terms of mic quality (noise cancellation in particular). So I don’t think you’ll benefit from downgrading.

Fairphone 4 - call or WhatsApp audio messages loadspeaker or microphone not working

When trying to call someone using the loudspeaker / microphone and having the phone NOT close to my ear and mouth it´s not working, the other person can´t hear me (properly) or not at all.

Im not covering and holes with my hand afaik. As suggested in those topics about the FP3
Microphone not working during call while using speaker option - Help / Fairphone 4 - Fairphone Community Forum
No sound 50+% of the time in calls, until reboot - Help / Fairphone 3 - Fairphone Community Forum

Similar problem but the other way round with WhatsApp audio messages:
It´s super hard for me to understand those, they´re super quiet and very hard to understand and whenever I move the phone they tend to stop playing.

I´ve already performed that hardware test procedure without any insights, all good according to that test.

I slowly start to think, that FairphoneOS is buggy while LineageOS isn’t… IMO :confused:

I moved your post here and as you can see above there are various issues for some and its difficult to really to find anything common. i would contactsupport

1 Like

I experience almost all the issues on Lineage also

hello everyone

could someone easily solve the problem that the sound quality is very bad when the speakers are on ? I really need this function on a cell phone because I don’t want to have radiation on my ear for 8 hours a day and I can’t wear headphones for health reasons. I would love to stay with Fairphone for sustainability reasons, but if this is not solvable, I will have to give up with a very heavy heart :slight_smile:

Thank you very much for any advice

3 Likes

Welcome to the Fairphone community.

What exactly are you trying to do? Making phone calls? Listening to videos or music? What do you call ‘very bad sound quality’? Its a phone at the end.

exactly - I need the phone only for phone calls.
I only want to put the speakers on when I have longer calls (because I don’t want get a headache :slight_smile:

And whats the problem with the sound?

just very big difference between speakers on and off
people cannot anderstand me well when they’re on …

1 Like

So it’s a microphone problem, not a speaker problem?
Did you check all microphones with the hardware test?

1 Like

Thats unfortunately an issue (see above) happening sometimes since a long time. I suggest to contact support

You might consider using a speakerphone like Jabra 510.

Call reception is good for me but the recipient often complains about bad audio especially if the call is made with speakerphone

1 Like

hi there,
i just want to share that i have the same issues in call quality, especially in handsfree mode.
i read all of the statements above.
since the problem is probably about noise cancellation in combination with the three microphones, i’ll try to test by taping one of them…
i don’t have time now but i’ll let you know later.
regards & greetings from austria
martin

first test handsfree calling with taped top microphone was promising. but not shure about statistcs :wink: will check further. any of you persons want to try?