Browser app set to Chrome on Android 12 update

I recently updated my FP4 to Android 12 using build FP4.SP1Y.B.041.20230109. This update set my standard browser to Google Chrome, without asking.

Is this due to a setting by Fairphone, or is this anti-competitive behavior by Google that should be reported to the autorities?

Did others have this issue too?

1 Like

Just deaktivate Chrome, so its not used at all…or just re-set the default Browser…

Such things can happen, by purpose or by mistake is hard to tell, nothing I would see a need to report to authorities, you have a phone with a Google System.

3 Likes

@yvmuell thanks for the quick reply. Yes it was an easy fix. But this was a huge trigger for me, as I actively support Free and Open Source software and know that Google has been fined for anti-competitive behavior in the past.

So that is why I hope you can confirm that this is not due to a setting by Fairphone.

1 Like

I cant confirm anything we are all user like you. I can just confirm, after the upgrade Chrome was still deactivated on my FP4.

You use a Google System, so if you dont want Google you might have to install another OS? else Google is on your phone if Chrome is used or not.

2 Likes

Hi

Fairphone have to comply with Google criteria to get a license to use the AOSP their version of Android, FOS

However I agree it does seem a bit questionable.

Wasn’t there an issue about Microsoft having to make Internet Explorer an [option]

That the browser can be so easily changed probably sneaks past the anti-competitive ethics.

2 Likes

It is to include Google Play and the Android branding, there is no license required to use/distribute AOSP.

3 Likes

Guess I’m not the only one

I never got a prompt to select a browser.

Perhaps the reason is that I had it set to ask me to select a browser each time. That ability got dropped. Then I still don’t understand why I not received a prompt to select a default as I got for the search provider.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.