Browser app constantly active and online?

I am new to fp and the whole smartphone world, since I have only recently decided that the fp might allow me to replace my outdated palm and act as a decent phone at the same time. So, please forgive my ignorance in these matters of Android operating systems etc.
I basically need a mobile phone and a mobile mini computer for contacts and for my calendar. I might access the internet via my home wireless network, but I don’t even have an internet plan with my sim card. Add to this my mistrust of google, I intend to run a very basic fp.
However I wonder what all these pre-installed apps do “when I’m not looking”. For instance, it seems like the pre-installed browser goes online without my opening it - drawing data through my phone provider - even though I don’t need it and don’t want it. (I have installed Firefox instead.)
Is this normal, and how can I avoid it? Can I deinstall the Browser and other pre-installed apps?

Hi lud,

Your default (pre-installed) browser behaves oddly. It should not launch on its own, and it should definitely not go online on its own. Mine doesn’t. I suggest that you
a) launch it and go through the settings and see if anything there can explain the behaviour.
b) go to ‘Manage apps’, find the Browser app and empty cache and data.

At worst, it might be that some other app acts as a trigger. If so, it might be difficult to find it.

Since FP is rooted, everything can be deleted f you use a file manager that makes use of root privilegies. But it might have unforeseen consequences, so it can’t be recommended. As it is, the pre-installed browser looks as if it’s an integrated part of the system, so it cannot be uninstalled, nor can it be disabled (which surprised me).

@lud, what makes you think the browser goes online and downloads data? Can you tell us the symptoms that make you draw this conclusion?

Hi @lud

It’s quite unlikely that your browser uploads or downloads any date without your permission? Disabling “Data Connection” (Settings > Press “More…” (below “Data usage”) > Mobile Networks > Set Data Connection to "off) will make sure that your phone does not connect to the internet, other than via Wi-Fi (if you have Wi-Fi enabled).

Kind regards

Robin

Thanks to you all!
Jerry, I found some statistics that showed my browser had been downloading data and I couldn’t figure out how or why (my fp works with a German operating system, so I had to do a bit of searching, since not all these categories/translations are very obvious). However, Robin nailed it, I had to switch the Data Connection to off, and now the stats show that nothing has been downloaded since.
I’m still surprised I can’t simply delete the unneeded browser as an unwanted app - at least not easily, but I suppose I’ll be able to live with that.
Thanks again - and beware, I may be back…
Lud

Hi @lud

Glad this worked out for your. Browser can not be removed, as it is part of the Android operating system. (Like Safari on iOS). You can, however, install a different browser e.g. Chrome or Firefox (just search in the Play Store).

And last but not leas, data connection should only be enabled when you have a data plan that supports mobile internet, or if you are willing to pay the normal rate for mobile data.

Kind regards

Robin

Thanks Robin.
I have already installed Firefox, so no worries there. And with the data connection switched off, I figure I should be okay. (Let’s wait to see what the first phone bill says, when the connection wasn’t switched off yet.)
Cheers
Lud