Bought a new battery for FP1 but it fails regularly

I have written directly to the Fairphone Support Service on monday 6th Februrary but I’ve received no reply yet.
I’ve bought a new FP1 battery in October 2016, started using it in November and started having problems with it by the end of the year 2016, so 2 months ago.
The problems are:

• the charge level goes down in no time (even with the flight mode activated) from below 50% to 0%
  • while using it normally (reading an e-mail or checking facebook), it restarts for no reason. And it happens at least once a day since a few weeks, often several times a day.

I think my new battery has a manufactury problem. Do you know how to make the warranty work?

1 Like

Have you had a look at the #batteryguide?

Thanks for you reply, but what am I supposed to look for in the betteryguide?
I think it has a manufacturing problem, this is a new battery!
and from what I’ve read in the forum, they’re supposed to be “more reliable”…

I’ve checked: the battery is not bloated

Not necessarily a result of battery issues. For instance, there have also been reports of the facebook app causing massive instabilities. Frequent crashes could also mess up the battery calibration data.

Then again, it could still be a manufacturing defect. My guess is that support is going to get back to you with instructions on how to re-calibrate the battery to see whether that helps. As it’s hardly been 48 hours since you posted a request, give it a bit more time.

2 Likes

Your issues with the battery might be related to using the facebook app. See also here. You should try uninstalling the app and see if your battery problems persist.

I have the exact same problem. Three weeks ago I bought a new battery because I thought the by you described problems could be related to my old one (which was nearly 2,5 years old). However, I am still experiencing these problems. I guess @Johannes could be right and that it does not have to be a problem related to the battery. (BTW, I don’t have a solution to these problems and I am still experiencing them myself :frowning: ).

1 Like

For me is not the same: I’ve put the old battery and it works better than the new one!
no problem with Facebook or other apps neither.
no signs of auto-reboot for the moment.

I guess I have to wait for the reply of the Support Service…

Well, I do have problems with Facebook. Most restarts happen when I open the app. Besides Facebook, also Spotify gives me a lot of restarts. Sometimes it happens also when I am not busy with my phone at all. It just restarts out of deep sleep (I have checked for wakelocks but none could be detected).

Have you tried the battery reset described in the #batteryguide ?

Just tried afew hours ago.
I’ll see if it does something.
Thanks for the advice

i had the same issue with my FP2, i solved it by placing a thin piece of paper at the bottom of the battery so it is more snug (it shouldn’t move at all). The phone stopped rebooting all the time right after i did that, and it started having a normal battery life again as well.
I had found that solution on the FP Forum, so i know it’s worked for other people.
good luck!

Hi to all,
@Stefan, I’ve done the whole battery reset process described in the #batteryguide twice
for the newly bought battery, but the problems are still there:

• it continues to turn off by itself (even with the battery at 98%)
  • it continues to reboot by itself (not only while using facebook app)
  • it continues to loose its battery level very fast (from 40% to 0% in a few hours, even with the flight mode on)

And when I put the old original FP1 battery, everything becomes normal again, no ne of these problems appear.

Still no reply from the #support service, and it’s been 6 days since I’ve wrote to them.

Did you receive a battery of the old or the new batch?

It’s the new batch battery 'cause it has the bigger capacity, 2100 mAh / 7.98 Wh

This is not a problem for all new batteries. I just put in a new one and can use the phone for two days before recharging again.

For me, uninstalling Facebook helped when it came to the unexpected reboots. It still happens from time til time, but just on a weekly basis instead of multiple times a day.

However, it didn’t help for the problems related to the new battery. Last weekend the batterylevel dropped from 100 to 0 % in less than 90 minutes and it had to recharge for half a day before it reached 100% again…

I have been experiencing the same problems with my phone (F1), as branchi. I bought a replacement battery around the same time. Why would the phones be behaving in such manners?

You should contact Fairphone support ( https://fairphone.com/asksupport ) and request a warranty replacement. Be sure to link to this topic.

Hi to all, thanks for your replies.
I’ve been replied by the support team: since I’ve tried everything you guys said, they’re gonna send a new battery.
Although, they ask for the disfunctioning battery to be recycled. Do you know how to do this?
Since the battery is not bloated (not dangerous), maybe I can send it back to Fairphone?
They linked me to their Recycle policy but I didn’t get the point on how actually do so.

Looking forward to your directions.