Bluetooth audio streaming to two devices

Does anyone know if it is possible to stream one audio source to two bluetooth devices simultaneously? I’m using Android 10 8901.3.A.0134. From the bluetooth menu I can see both paired devices in the available media list, but only one can be active at a time. Some searching showed that some phones have a dual audio toggle switch, but no sign of it on the FP3 sadly

I don’t think it is natively possible, but thought I’d see if I’ve missed something.

Thanks.

Multiple Headphones and Speakers

The most common use of Bluetooth is pairing headsets or speakers to a smart device. Users are looking to listen to music, but they may want to share the audio by sending it simultaneously to multiple speakers or headphones.

The “headphones” profile (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile; A2DP) connects a client device to the high-fidelity audio output on a host device. This profile only supports a single stream.

Can you connect two Bluetooth headphones at the same time?

It is possible to connect multiple Bluetooth headphones at the same time, but only one device can receive the audio output. A Bluetooth hub is often required to send music or other audio to headsets simultaneously. Some smartphone and headphone manufacturers have clever workarounds to the core specification.

The same holds true when it comes to multiple Bluetooth speakers being used concurrently.

Multiple Bluetooth speakers can be connected at once, but only one device can be selected to receive the audio output. Some speaker manufacturers build in the capability to pair or chain several Bluetooth speakers together. Users can send music or other audio streams to all the speakers simultaneously.

5 Likes

Hi FairphoneHulk,

Thank you for your detailed reply. It good to know I hadn’t missed a setting somewhere and the reason why it can’t be added.

I will look at getting a repeater hub if there are any that can do the job that don’t cost a bomb. The hubs I’ve seen can take a external input and transmit to two bluetooth devices but if they receive via Bluetooth, they can only relay out one bluetooth signal. This would work if I plugged the headphone output into the hub, but with no skip>> control in aux mode I’ll give them a miss and keep looking.

Thanks again for your advice.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.