Black Screen/Booting Issue After FPOS C.073 Android 13 Update

Hi Martin,
can you tell, WHICH “new software” you uploaded? I cannot find a file to do that. A hint would be great as i suffer the same problem as you all, no correct booting after i pressed the shiny “restart to perform the upgrade” - button, not expecting to kill my phone…

Best regards

Here this one:

The new Android 13.

Greetings Martin

:thinking:

1 Like

Hi Martin,

I do not see something under Ota Sideload . In my browser, it states “coming soon…” and if I would use the fast load thing, my data would be lost. But you said, that you used adb sideload. I am confused.

Can you help?
Best regards
Gunnar

Is your bootloader unlocked or at least OEM unlocking enabled as well as USB debugging (for the latter I’m not completely sure its required)?

If not, fastboot is no option and for sideload see above (click on the arrow to show hidden text behind the warning)

And be prepared it might fail

Could it be this one?

Software update: FP4.TP1V.C.073.20230905 | Upgrade to Android 13 - #18 by AndreasChris .

Thanks to you two. I read the whole thread, but i did not know, that there can be hidden text behind a small arrow :slight_smile:

So i will give it a shot and i am just downloading the ota. Fingers crossed…

2 Likes

Hm. :face_holding_back_tears: I downloaded the ota.zip and worked as described in the “Install Fairphone OS Manually” using the OTA from Linux (Mint).
It aborts stating that “E:Package is for source build SP2K but expected TP1V”.
So i guess, it wont work for me, as the update took place, but is somehow screwed and there is currently no other idea but to contact fairphone for a repair somewhere in France?

I have no experience doing this, but did you try switching the A/B slots during the OTA sideload?

Hi Peci1, no i havent. i could give it a try. Just have to find out the commands. Give me a minute and i will come up with the results. But i am not sure, whether it is possible without any debugging options enabled.

Hum, unfortunately, it seems, that i cannot switch A/B slots, when i did not unlock the bootloader. If that is wrong, please give me a hint, how to do it. Everything i found, needed it to be unlocked.

Not=“not unlocked” so no you cant switch slots

And this is true for you as well

As you didnt answer

So if this isnt the case yes contactsupport

2 Likes

Alright, then be it.
Thank you all for your help anyway! It is very nice to have people around, that share their time to help,

4 Likes

Reading that page it sounds like they will provide the link to the delta OTAs directly, so no more extracting it from logcat, which is great :partying_face:

Still, it doesn’t look like they’ll offer full OTAs, so it won’t be really useful for affected people with a locked bootloader unless they publish a bugfix release very soon …

2 Likes

I was in contact with the support and they will check, whether an OTA-file that can heal the problem will be made available in a duration, that it might make it okay to wait for it and use another phone(if available) instead of wiping all data.

8 Likes

Is this supposed to update from A12 to A13 without the risk of getting the black screen or is it for fixing the black screen after the update? I already tried it (with the black screen issue), but it didn’t change anything.

1 Like

I moved your post here the ota.zip was not published for the black screen issue and there is proof it will not help because

2 Likes

So, after reading this thread and the one on the black screen issue, I am a bit worried about updating, due to the possiblity of an unusable phone. Is there a fix for the black screen issue or some insight as to which devices are affected? Do you think performing the update is safe or is it recommended to wait for the next one?

2 Likes

Yes, there is a small chance you could get a problem after the update. However, I guess the vast majority is very happy with the A13 update (like myself :wink: ).

2 Likes

See Black Screen Issue After Android 13 Update - #24 by yvmuell . With OEM unlocking enabled and adb debugging on, you should be able to restore the phone if anything goes wrong. You might still lose your data, though.

5 Likes