Black Screen/Booting Issue After FPOS C.073 Android 13 Update

Not=“not unlocked” so no you cant switch slots

And this is true for you as well

As you didnt answer

So if this isnt the case yes contactsupport

2 Likes

Alright, then be it.
Thank you all for your help anyway! It is very nice to have people around, that share their time to help,

4 Likes

Reading that page it sounds like they will provide the link to the delta OTAs directly, so no more extracting it from logcat, which is great :partying_face:

Still, it doesn’t look like they’ll offer full OTAs, so it won’t be really useful for affected people with a locked bootloader unless they publish a bugfix release very soon …

2 Likes

I was in contact with the support and they will check, whether an OTA-file that can heal the problem will be made available in a duration, that it might make it okay to wait for it and use another phone(if available) instead of wiping all data.

8 Likes

Is this supposed to update from A12 to A13 without the risk of getting the black screen or is it for fixing the black screen after the update? I already tried it (with the black screen issue), but it didn’t change anything.

1 Like

I moved your post here the ota.zip was not published for the black screen issue and there is proof it will not help because

2 Likes

So, after reading this thread and the one on the black screen issue, I am a bit worried about updating, due to the possiblity of an unusable phone. Is there a fix for the black screen issue or some insight as to which devices are affected? Do you think performing the update is safe or is it recommended to wait for the next one?

2 Likes

Yes, there is a small chance you could get a problem after the update. However, I guess the vast majority is very happy with the A13 update (like myself :wink: ).

2 Likes

See Black Screen Issue After Android 13 Update - #24 by yvmuell . With OEM unlocking enabled and adb debugging on, you should be able to restore the phone if anything goes wrong. You might still lose your data, though.

5 Likes

I would find it intersting to know which sort of FP4’s are or can be affected. Is it a software or maybe a hardware issue? So, the question is, what do the FP4’s with a failed update have in common?
Is maybe a certain batch affected? What system version was the update perfomed from? If we knew, maybe we can tell something about likelyhood of an update to fail.

So, people with a failed update could post whether they have one of the first phones after FP4 hit the market, or rather a later one.

I bought mine in Feb. 2023 and the update worked just fine from Version B.089.

4 Likes

Good Idea!
Mine is from Dec '21
Installed every Version of FP OS
No modifications (e.g. rooting or unlocking)
Apps only from Google Play Store
Original Launcher

Update went smooth, no reboots

1 Like

My FP4 was purchased in February 2022 and the update to A13 went flawlessly. No modifications, some F-Droid-Apps installed.

1 Like

I got mine July this year.
Tried many different custom ROMs and rooted it a few times, but came back to stock FP4OS with bootloader locked (normal and critical).
OEM unlocking wasn’t enabled, but USB Debugging was.
I think i was on the latest version before updating.
I got the black screen sadly.

2 Likes

I have the same problem. After the update the boot screen appears. Then you can briefly see a blue dot. Then black screen.
I got the Fairphone in April this year.

Interesting!

The blue dot points to the FP to actually try to boot the system and THEN fails. At least I believe, that the blue dot screen comes from the system, not the boot image.
If so, I think, it would really be intersting to see if the USB → HDMI cable would work and if you can see anything on a connected screen.

Is the screen dark like “on”, but displaying only black (with t a little bit of reaming light), or more like entirely “off”, like after switching the phone completely off?

2 Likes

After the blue dot, the screen stays on (but black) for about 2,5 minutes. Then goes off (no backlight).

Interesting could also be, to see the logcat through adb. That could already be available if the bootscreen appears and if not could at least give a hint regarding the point of time during the boot process, where the problem occurs first.

1 Like

Just to see if it is awake, somehow: what happens if you give your phone a cell phone call? You get refused, right?
Or does you phone appear in the router’s wifi network as active (if it was connected before the update)?

I would guess, both is a negative(?)

I did a wipe on the system. WiFi won’t work. I tried calling, no response.

Hm, wiping makes it a little more difficult to figure out if it is awayke. I have never tried to give a freshly wiped phone a call, before going through the settings.
Maybe someone with a freshly blacked phone who has not tried anything like wiping, yet, can check this out.
My believe is, that the phone does not boot at all. On the other hand, why should it turn the screen from black to off after 2 minutes?
Seems, there is at least something working in the background. So maybe it is connected to the Screen-brightness fix that goes wrong if some setting is just as it is during the update or whatever.
So, if a black screened phone shows up in wifi after booting, it seems that it’s a screen driver problem, not a boot problem.
Okay, Fairphone tech guys, I wish you all the best on Monday morning when trying to figure it all out. :wink:

BTW: that’s the cable I have bought. Works fine with my phone:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08LKXQHXJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

1 Like