Black Screen/Booting Issue After FPOS C.073 Android 13 Update

Yes, because I did’t lock the bootloader and flashed the latest StockRom for A13.
Yes. Status is still the same: boot, fairphone logo, vibrate, black screen >Device is on. I can see the Screen on the monitor. I can manage the device over the usb-c dock with mouse and keyboard.

1 Like

Ok, that is indeed interesting! This would mean that the update did not (fully) brick the phone and might open some possibilities for recovery with a new update without having to send it in.
Even stranger, though: Why would the previous use of custom ROMs prevent the screen from working properly? :thinking:
It would also explain why the automatic A/B fail-over won’t do anything - bugged or not.

I confirm what HereWeAre is saying. I’ve plugged in my FP to my USB-C dock and I’m able to see my screen and obviously use keyboard and mouse

3 Likes

Does the phone’s touch layer work in that case?

Also, can you try rebooting into safe mode?

Nope touch layer is not working

Just a short summary for those not reading the whole thread and who got “bricked” phone after the update.

The phone is most probably not bricked!!! From forum user reports, it seems it is only the display driver that fails. And it seems it only fails on phones that have ever tried installing another OS (even if they reverted back to FPOS and locked bootloader).

If you don’t mind factory-resetting your phone, you can try to unlock the bootloader using a USB-C dock and reinstalling the system. That would be destructive for your data. It is still unclear whether there is a non-destructive way (probably, waiting it out for the next update could help).

In any case, to prepare for the destructive way, you can utilize a USB-C dock to backup your data that aren’t stored in clouds.

7 Likes

I can use touchscreen for input.

What do you mean with safemode?

Still all a bit vague to me what happened to your device, could we sort finally which OTA caused the issue, FPOS or Iode OS?

See here: FP4 booting issues running/updating IodeOs - #5 by HereWeAre

Since the appearance of this to the finaly blackscreen where more than one Update on A13 Iode.

So in my case it was Iode OS. But others have the same issue when have/had installed an other OS, even if they’re back on StockRom.

At this point I would support the opinion of @USB-2:

Thanks to clarify. As IodeOS is on Android 13 since a long time already, the below seem to bevtrue for this FPOS upgrade 12 to 13 and I would rather call your issue a coincidence, as normally IodeOS is not that fast to include such updates in their system

Only to sort things out, not to say anyone is wrong.

That should cause a factory reset, just to make some of the obstacles clearer

I moved your statement and marked it as solution knowing its just an update, however so everyone can find it easier. Its still in the other topic as well

1 Like

Oh, I wanted to have the report in the update thread so that people who don’t follow this topic would also get the information. But you’ve put there a reference, so it might be enough.

I don’t have this problem, so I can’t test whether this advice actually works. Is there someone who has susccessfully switched partitions to get back to A12?

I even updated the initial post from yasen and added a warning linking your post

Not everyone having the issue will read over there and rather here.

You seemed quite confident about the root cause having information from somewhere else, arent you?

Unfortunately, not. I just tried to distill information available in this thread.

I’m one of the (un?)lucky betatesters who still haven’t got A13 update, so I followed this thread closely to be ready for whatever comes.

4 Likes

So maybe you want to rephase your post, to make clear that those are possible guesses based on 1 report plus a phone running Iode and nothing confirmed by anyone officially.

Ok, I rephrased it a bit. Maybe you can remove the “Solution” mark until someone confirms switching partitions is actually possible?

1 Like

on an external monitor i also see that FP loads and then displays the lock screen. Touch layer does not work for me.
I hope to connect my FP4 to a normal dock station tomorrow and experiment further.

As I’ve already erased my phone, I tried to use FP tutorial to install firmware manually after having unlock my bootloader with a USB dock.
And it worked, my FP4 is booting correctly now
(I’ve followed this Installing Fairphone OS Manually – Support

4 Likes

I don’t think switching partitions will help. But still the dock and unlocking is probably helpful to be able to install FPOS manually as mentioned by @satanasdiabolo here.

I’m gonna try to get a dock tomorrow, should I try switching slots or reflash FPOS directly? (I’m fine with losing my data)

1 Like