Battery problems (wrong charging status / battery might be dying)

I just got some strange thing happening today: on the way to my job I was listening to music with my Fairphone, the battery was at 47% then a couple minutes later it just stoppedworking. Once at my desk I started recharging it and after a bit I could boot it up again. Is that a defective battery or a wrong percentage (because the phone worked for quite some time without having to recharge it).

I am starting to think that these issues are defective batteries, but having read a bit about warranty claims here, it seems hard to prove it.

I’m having the same problem, probably since i update to Cherry 1.6

My battery is going from 100% to 0% before my cigarette is all burned up.
When i place it back to my charger, its completely full within 2 minutes.

Last night when my phone went dead again, i placed my phone on my charger without turning it on.
But when i woke up, it only charged to 64%.
Turned it on with the charger still connected, and now its back to 100%

1 Like

Kann mir jemand sagen, ob es die fairphone batterie in Wien zu kaufen gibt.
Cas.

:uk: No, you can’t buy the FP battery in Vienna. You can only order it in the shop.

:de: Man kann die FP-Batterie nur im Shop bestellen.

I noticed that the battery only drains from 15% to 0%, when the screen is on. When it’s off the battery doesn’t seem to drain (the phone is still on when checking after some minutes).

Can someone confirm this behavior?

Edit: It could be that it’s the display, which causes the battery drain.

No. My battery is one step further: drains regularly to 60% drops to 30% in some minutes and then dies.

I ordered a new one (1 year for a battery. None of my previous phones did it that fast. At that rate I expect that I’ll have to order 2 more batteries during the life-time of the phone. This messes up the ecological footprint of the FP)

2 Likes

My FP also starts at higher percentages with draining, but the question was if it makes a difference if you keep the screen off?

Hello,
My battery seems to bloat.
I stopped using my phone, i only turn it on once a day to check messeges.
I think its the reason why my battery was draining so fast.
I submitted a ticket last friday, but no response so far.
I tried to call the support desk, but no one is picking up the phone.

I strongly suggest the people who’s battery is draining fast to check if their battery isn’t bloating or not.

1 Like

Hope, they reply soon! Also check Battery bloated for further reference. According to a quote from FP’s warranty policy you need to prove that the bloated battery is a manufacturing defect (e.g. through a photo).

So if you have not attached a photo to your support request, you should do so, to ensure that your request is processed as fast as possible.

Thanks Stefan, i already spoke with a FP employee and there sending a new battery right now.

1 Like

Just adding my voice and screenshots to the crowd. It feels like this started happening to me once I’d updated to 1.8. Once the better gets below about 50% a restart can cause the batter to show ~10% which then drains extremely quickly. Once it powers off, plugging a charger in till immediately bring it back with a chunk of charge!

You can see where I retarted the phone and had the % drop from about 50% to 10%. That then drained down to 1% and stayed there for a while. Once it finally failed, a 1 min charge restarted the phone with +10% again!

This one was me turning off the phone, putting it to charge for a bit then turning it back on. The battery level spiked from around 15% to 80% very very quickly.

My phone’s charge indication not only sometimes drops very fast into single digits until switching off itself at 3%, I also often experience it stuck when charging. For example last night I put it on the charger, it went from 3 to 18% and remained there for the rest of the night. Then, other times, it charges like others have described, with the indication jumping suddenly from ~14 to 50-70%. This behavior has started only recently, long after the 1.6 update…

Hi everybody…

I can’t stand it anymore.

I charge my phone 3 times a day and still can’t use it for a whole day. This morning battery droped from fully charged to 0% in two hours (!!!) and I didn’t even use it… just unlocked it once or twice.

This is intorelable… I don’t trust the indication, I don’t know when my phone’s charged and of course I can’t rely on it during the day as I have a lot of (bad) surprises.

I really need some help with it. Is it the battery or the phone problem? is there anyway to make it better?

PS my phone is first edition.

@evidemment - This really isn’t usual behaviour. How infuriating! My opinion is that it could well be a battery problem and you should contact support directly to organise a replacement as soon as possible.

In fact the battery is bloated!!! It’s only after reading the equivalent
article on fairphone site that I realised that the case didn’t fit any more
and that the back cover was popped…

So I took the battery off and waiting. I’m back to my Samsung mobile
(snif).

1 Like

No bloating on my battery but check out this battery life:

5hrs 50mins of useful life, of which about 2 and a half hours the phone was in my pocket with the screen off. (I was in the cinema!)

:frowning:

I just received my new battery…! My life has changed!

Fully charged this morning at 8:00 it’s 15:00 and I’m 72%!!! I even played Frozen for a while!!!

2 Likes

Even if your battery is not bloated I think you should change it… changed everything for me.

Do you think they give you a warranty ticket, if you can’t actually see that there is a manufacturing defect?

Has anyone gotten a warranty ticket with a non-bloated battery?