Battery drop from 50% to 15% every time

My next step would be to try a battery reset. I ll provide my feedback asap.

1 Like

Good work!
I tend it is only a battery software problem.
FP battery is known to have problems acquiring the correct charging level after reboots (esp. unwanted).
Therefore I decided only to send my FP to FlightMode during night instead of shutting it down and struggeling with wrong charging levelsā€¦

• did you make the battery-reset already before this test? If not - go ahead to make it and again watcht to the battery consumption over the next hours (days) and provide a screenshot.
  • your battery voltage is 3,694V for 18% level. I will check at home, if I noted also a voltage for 18% level, than we can compare [I will edit here]
  • what is about your other problem, concerning the WiFi?
  • I guess, if you would continue using the FP starting from 18% - it will be stuck at 14/15% for several hours and afterwards running down till 0% within minutes, as this is the behaviour a lot of FP users reported (incl. me).
  • But with the battery reset und avoiding FP reboots with a low battery level I do not run in this problem within the last months [I will add later some comments on this in the [battery wiki\]
    ]1

I would say one should better write: ā€œso it dropped from 60 to 18% triggered by an unwanted rebootā€ since it most likely has nothing to do with the ā€œfew minutesā€.

Cheers, Robert

Edit1: From the battery test you can check some voltages for your FP battery, e.g. after a ā€œfullā€ charge it should have about 4.1V, 50% should have about 3.8V. Yours 18% with ~3,7V could be quite realisticā€¦
I would recommend to make the battery reset test and afterwards note down every 10% your batter voltage and check if you are approx. at the voltage curve posted below (considering ā€œTime/minā€ in first approximation as ā€œcapacity/%ā€, although it is most likely not linear.) Just for a first guess, if it seems OK or if we already here see a bloating battery (are there any voltage curve for this available?)

Actually I still see this behaviour as the first symptoms of a bloating batteryā€¦ It started like this with my own (first) battery and subsequently it started swelling.

Yep, I still donā€™t say to ignore the possibilty to a swollen battery!!

Some more remarks for charging problems (by cleaning the USB-Connector), which could maybe also connected with wrong battery level:

My battery is now bloated and almost useless :frowning:

Just in case you havenā€™t done so already, instructions on what to do are here.
Also, please stop using the battery, the swelling is a sign of physical failure and a swollen battery can be dangerous, even more so when in use/being charged. See the linked help desk article for proper disposal procedures.

Bad to here.
Can you give us a short timeline of the develoment?

e.g.: Notice of battery level jumps on .[ā€¦dateā€¦] --> Spin-test=negative on [ā€¦]ā€“> more problems (likeā€¦) on [ā€¦]ā€“> spin-test=positiv on [ā€¦]?

Would help for others to figure out the development of symptoms to a bloated batteryā€¦thanks a lot!
Cheers, Robert

When I first wrote about the problem, it had been so for about 2-3 weeks, so it was a month ago.
The bloated battery emerged continous, no special date.
Now I donā€™t dare use the phone anymore,

But you already wrote to the support?!

Yes, https://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/70294 (donĀ“t know if you can see the link though)

Nope, we canā€™t. (Post must be 20 chars long at minimumā€¦)

Sorry, I had important personnal problems and couldnā€™t take the time to deal with my Fairphone issues.
The thing is, even if i disable the wifi (settings> SIM management > Wi-Fi OFF) the phone connects to wi-fi when it finds some.
The battery spin test is negative.

Iā€™m trying to drain the battery and charge it as indicated in post 2 tonight.

Do that. But before putting the drained battery back into the phone leave the ā€œemptyā€ phone plugged in for some time (a (few) minute(s)).

How long does it take from seeing the first symptoms/problems of your battery to swell?

I have the same ugly battery problems ā€“ but the battery is Ā»unfortunatelyĀ« not swelled (yet) ā€¦

Thanks!
webaschtl

ah, found this: Battery drop from 50% to 15% every time

My battery started bloating a few weeks after the symptoms of fast battery drop. I reported the problem mid-November (see my comments on 15 November and around that date) and the bloating appeared at around Christmas. I have now replaced the battery, and the phone is fine againā€¦ almost three days without need for charging.

1 Like

Hi there! since I took part to this discussion earlier on, I thought Iā€™d report back. I tried some of the suggestions multiple times (as the battery drop was so quick after 50%, full discharge happened regularly), had a look at battery stats, etc., and in the end I just bought a new battery and all is working just fine, as expected.
If I have to look for a reason why the battery got to this, I fear it is because for a few times the phone has remained exposed to the sun for lengthy periods, and lamented overheating. Anyway, a couple of years have passed since I first bought this, so itā€™s not tooooo bad.