Battery bloated

Are you sure it’s your batteries?

Did you already try another charger/cable? I thought my battery was dying and it was actually only the USB cable that needed to be replaced.

You could also clean your USB socket. Maybe there’s dust in it…

Hey Veronica, our apologies for the late reply to your support request. I’ll make sure we are responding to your request today!

Hello,
So it seems it is a common problem this thing with the bloated battery. It started almost two months ago, but I thought it was a problem of the case, that was not closing anymore. It has gone worst and now is imposible to close the case and the phone just switches off continously. I would like to know to whom or how can I get a battery replacement as part of my guarantee. Please contact me ASAP. Thanks!
M.

Here is an official support article:

Could you tell us, why you did not find it? Your information could improve the support process.

So I’m hit by the bloated battery as well. As mentioned in the above support article: “Contact our Support Team with the subject line “Bloated battery” and we will make your issue a priority.” - So I did and after 3 weeks now, still no response. In the meantime the battery died totally.

I get that there can be problems. Even if there are no batteries available at the moment, I’d understand that and have the patience to wait. But what I do not get is why the support can’t even drop one line and keeps ignoring people (following this thread), when even writing they made this a priority issue…

Support is dealing with a huge, huge backlog - so it’s likely snowed under. Calling them works, or giving them a little nudge if you’ve been waiting for weeks by posting your ticket number in the topic over here.

For others finding this topic - What we know on the forum at the moment:
If your phone is still in warranty, they may still have some replacement batteries available (though we’re not sure, nobody has reported back recently). If it’s out of warranty you’ll have to buy a new one, but annoyingly the next shipment of batteries isn’t expected to hit the shop until August (you can sign up to be notified when they go on sale).

I’m also awaiting response on this issue from the helpdesk. I know I shouldn’t be using the phone with bloated battery, but I need my phone for work so I don’t have a choice - though I’m basically only able to use it when plugged into the charger now.

The frustrating thing is this: I am going to end up buying a new, different phone (and one that is cheaper and hence not fairtrade, because I can’t afford a new FP2 - nor would I want one, because I don’t trust FP as a manufacturer now) - so actually had I bought a traditional and more reliable phone in the first place (e.g. iPhone) both I and the planet would have been better off!

All because of poor-quality build.

I have 4 months left to run on my contract (with Phone Co-op), but they can’t do anything for me in terms of early upgrade (which is a bit short-sighted I think, as this effectively means I’ll be leaving them when the contract is up for a sim-only deal elsewhere). So I’m not terrifically impressed with them either.

FairPhone was a project I really bought into and evangelised for. Now I feel a bit naïve, a bit stupid, but overwhelmingly disappointed. I’m out.

I have the same battery problem. I sent a message to the support team 15 days ago. Not reply yet :frowning:
In the spare parts shop the battery seems to be out of stock, hope there is no problem with this, I love my phone and two years life is not what we were promised.

@Ghedebrav & @Miguel_Dominguez_Dur

The support is currently overworked and has a huge backlog, they just hired more staff for being able to deal with it. So yes, unfortunately currently the support is not as it should be.

However, if you need to speed up your request, you can call them, or if you feel you waited too long, you can post your ticket number here, so someone can have look into it.

Though I don’t know if they have batteries on stock for warranty cases.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice, I will try to do as you point :wink:

1 Like

Heads up, batteries are available again:

3 Likes

Hi, I have a fairphone 1 and my battery inflated. I read that this is very dangerous and also the battery does not fit anymore into the phone. My question now is if I can get the battery replaced since it happend to just get inflated without me doing anything wrong. I would be very thankful for an answer. :slight_smile: Charlotte

Please read the official support article by Fairphone:

###https://fairphone.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203321199-Trouble-with-battery-it-seems-to-be-swelling

1 Like

thank you very much!!

Hi,

my FP1 battery has become bloated now too. Although mine is about 3 years old now. is this an ongoing issue with the FP1 batteries? Do we know why this happens?

I have ordered a new battery and am continuing to use my old one until that arrives. I have not dropped my phone often nor do i keep it in humid environment. But I am wondering if the new battery will do the same thing and if it is under warranty, any ideas?

thanks Jo

It can happen to all lithium batteries (I’ve recently even had a 10-year-old Nokia BL5 bloat). It seems they become more susceptible with age / charging cycles (which my FP1 battery has had more of than the Nokia battery above). I’m not sure whether FP1 batteries are more or less susceptible. Also, if I recall correctly, Fairphone changed the manufacturer of the battery and the new battery has a slightly larger capacity - so if there was a problem with the first batch of batteries, it may not be there for current batteries.

This really isn’t recommended, but if you insist of doing so then please don’t charge it unattended/overnight: It’d be a shame it fails and burns down the house with or without yourself in it.

3 Likes

thanks Johannes. Do you know what the warranty on a new battery is?

I would assume the Fairphone1(U) spare parts warranty (2 years), unless the webshop tells you differently during the process. The Fairphone 2 warranty mentions a different warranty period for the battery, but I haven’t read anywhere that the warranty duration was also changed for the Fairphone 1 battery.

I will just copy my Facebook Conversation in here cause i wont type all that again :frowning:

After 5 weeks of waiting , i cant believe the fairphone support / service is still so bad , or doesn’t get it.

spoiler July 1 , 2016

My fairphone 1 second battery in bloating again :disappointed:

Dear Pascal,

Thank you for your message. We wil answer it as soon as possible.

In the meantime, have a look at om. Maybe you find something that interests you there!

Best,
Douwe
Community Manager.
can u take my data from the first bloating situation and i send u the pictures ?
JUL 6TH, 5:14PM

Dear Pascal,

In the meantime, have a look at . Maybe you find something that interests you there!

Best,
Douwe
Community Manager.
ups sorry wrong link i have sent you an email
JUL 11TH, 8:47AM
Soo ?? what about bloatet battery?

Dear Pascal,

In the meantime, have a look at Maybe you find something that interests you there!

Best,
Douwe
Community Manager.
AUG 2ND, 9:13PM
Dear FP Team ,
I am waiting over 1 MONTH now (1.7.2016) for a response on my second “bloating battery” problem i need my phone for work.
I was one of the first supporters and that service is really disappointing.

My ticket number: #113725

Was is happening at your support Team ?

all the newsletter and emails about fp2 and stuff but you dont support the costumers that only made the Fairphone Company happend ? Thats sad

Dear Pascal,

In the meantime, have a look at https://forum.fairphone.com. Maybe you find something that interests you there!

Best,
The Fairphone Team
Dear FP Team ,
I am waiting over 1 MONTH now (1.7.2016) for a response on my second “bloating battery” problem i need my phone for work.
I was one of the first supporters and that service is really disappointing.

Was is happening at your support Team ?

all the newsletter and emails about fp2 and stuff but you dont support the costumers that only made the Fairphone Company happend ? Thats sad
AUG 3RD, 11:35PM
??

Hi Pascal, thanks for your message. We are not here right now, but we’ll get back to you soon!
TUE 6:57PM

Dear Pascal,

We are really sorry that your Fairphone battery is failing like this. This swelling is probably the cause of the issues.
Please do not use or recharge this faulty battery again and discard the battery at a local recycling point! You can not send it over the mail anymore.

Since the manufacturing warranty of the FP1 has expired (2 years after delivery), you can purchase a new battery in our webshop.
It might be that you need to register again as we changed webshops in the meantime and could not migrate all data from the old to the new system. Apologies for the inconvenience this may cause.

Finally, I’d like to apologise for our late reply. We are experiencing a huge backlog at the moment but we are taking drastic measures to solve this and provide you with the service you deserve. We explain more on our blog: sorry-to-keep-you-waiting-an-update-from-customer-support/ Thanks again for your patience and support!

Greetings from Amsterdam,
Daria
As i postet b4 , you send out bloating batteries again and again and tell me , that the wareanty of my phone has expired ?
even after the first bloated battery , the 2nd bloated again
now you want me to buy one ( which will probably bloat again ?
Is this for real ? Thats the answer for an allready known and ongoing problem to let the supporter pay for faulty batterie instead of changing the manufactorer or let him pay for the faulty batteries ??
iam waiting 5 weeks for that answer??
WED 9:53AM

Hi Pascal,

could you please provide us the order number of the battery sent to you?

Plerase notice:

• If you have a FP1 (Fairphone 1 first batch):

Since the manufacturing warranty of the FP1 has expired (2 years after delivery), you can purchase a new battery in our webshop.
It might be that you need to register again as we changed webshops in the meantime and could not migrate all data from the old to the new system. Apologies for the inconvenience this may cause.

• If you have a FP1U (second batch):

Our support team will inquire if you have a FP1 or a FP1U.
Provide the serial number of the battery (14 digits, located below the barcode on the back of your battery) and the serial number of your Fairphone (located inside your Fairphone behind the battery).
We will require you to fill in a inquiry where you can add a photo of the bloated battery. We will send you the link after you contact us, but please inform us immediately after the inquiry is completed.
We will begin the battery replacement procedure for you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Sergio
IT EN

☆ Fairphone || Buy a phone, join a movement!
✆ Mon & Tue 10:30-18:30 and Wed, Thu & Fri 09:30-17:30 CET under +31 20 788 4400
WED 12:01PM
You can see the picture and all details vial my ticket number:

Hi,

we can not send you a new battery.

If you have a FP1 (Fairphone 1 first batch):

Regards,

Sergio
IT EN

✆ Mon & Tue 10:30-18:30 and Wed, Thu & Fri 09:30-17:30 CET under +31 20 788 4400
As i postet b4 , you send out bloating batteries again and again and tell me , that the wareanty of my phone has expired ?
even after the first bloated battery , the 2nd bloated again
now you want me to buy one ( which will probably bloat again ?
you paid for all the bloatedt batterie the chinese company that produced faulty batteries ? and now you want me to buy one ?
WED 5:37PM

Hi,

we can not send you a new battery.

If you have a FP1 (Fairphone 1 first batch):

Regards,

Sergio
IT EN

Stop the copy paste please

Usually there is a obligingness that good companys provide
especially when its a crowdfunded project !!! And you send out bloating batteries
how comes that in 20 Years of cellphones in my life i never had a bloating battery before but the FAirphone company send me not 1 but 2 bloating batteries yet ?

MON 10:26AM
???

Dear Pascal,

In the meantime, have a look at . Maybe you find something that interests you there!

Best,
The Fairphone Team
Usually there is a obligingness that good companys provide ! Especially a company that i crowdfunded in the first place , which bought faulty batteries and shipped them several times to the costumers … !!!

@Douwe how can you just send out faulty batteries , and let us “the supporters” then pay for them instead the company that sold you these faulty / bloating batteries again and again ?