📚 Backup your phone

Backup

What is a backup?

To backup means to save files (usually on a different storage medium than the original files) so they can be restored when they get deleted somehow. (E.g. if something goes wrong during an update)

When should I perform a backup?

• regularly
  • whenever you have new important data on your phone that you don’t want to loose
  • whenever you’re about to do something risky (like modify your OS) or something that is sure to remove your date (like a #dic:reset or switching OS).

How can I backup my data?

1. TWRP This the recovery that comes with Open OS. If you don’t have Open OS you can #installtwrp it or use #twrpwoflashing. With TWRP you can backup your whole system excluding user media (photos, music, videos, …). This is especially helpful when you switch OS, so you can go back to the previous OS and don’t have to spend a lot of time getting everything back to how it was. For an extensive guide see #twrpbackup.
  2. CWM This is a #dic:customrecovery that you can use on an FP1 and works similar to TWRP.
  3. Titanium Backup This often recommended app needs #dic:root, which you have on an FP1 or an FP2 running Open OS (enabled in developer settings). It can be downloaded directly here or via apkmirror.com or any other way to download apks. Titanium can perform scheduled backups, so you don’t have to remember to make regular backups yourself. Make sure to change the backup directory to your mircoSD card or move the backed up files to your computer, so you have them if something goes wrong with your phone.
  4. Built in backup app Here is the Guide on how to use FP1’s preinstalled Backup app (see here for FP2), :warning: but note that it does not save all data.
  5. Google If you have Google on your phone and choose to entrust them with all your data you can simply sync everything to the cloud and restore it from there when you need it. To some degree that works.
  6. Other If you don’t want to modify your FP2 with a custom recovery or root, don’t trust Google and are not content with the built in backup app, then check out this list of #backuptools.
6 Likes