Auto-Updates: A Fairphone first!

Has anyone used it with the new LineageOS 15.1 yet? The description of the package at F-Droid Privileged Extension OTA | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository says as last changes:

Fixed OTA ZIP for Android 8.0 Oreo

I would assume that it’ll also work for 8.1, right? Can you confirm @eighthave?

F-Droid Privileged Extension works on 8.1 and 9 if its built into the
ROM. There were changes (“system as root”) that broke the previous OTA
flash method. @cdesai/@cde made a fixed version that just needs to be
tested before it can be released:

Test binaries are available for download, click “Download test
artifacts” from the button on the right of the topmost build here:

3 Likes

Ah, thanks for the information.

I downloaded the test artifacts ZIP and extracted the file called F-DroidPrivilegedExtension-0.2.8-5-g8d24dbc-debug.zip which I then flashed with TWRP.

Looks like it’s working, fdroid was able to automatically install updates without complaining about unknown sources. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your work!

Hmmm, it really didn’t work with latest release? My Nexus 4 running LOS 15.1 (no A/B device, no /system as / AFAIK) does work well, auto-updates an all. FP2 shouldn’t be different, :thinking:

Actually, I didn’t try the OTA package from the fdroid store.

After the update from 14.1 to 15.1 the priviledge extensions stopped working.
When I went to the fdroid store to install them again I found that note about 8.0 (and not 8.1), so I didn’t install it and asked here instead.

Oreo needs a whitelist permission file (← beware Google link) in /etc/permissions/ for system privileged apps that F-Droid didn’t include until that Oreo update, so you just needed to flash the new update, :slight_smile:

1 Like

The latest official version worked for me. No need to flash an experimental one.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.