Auto-Updates: A Fairphone first!

I use LineageOS with automatic f-droid updates, but this only worked after I flashed the privileged extension manually. As far as I know it is not integrated in LineageOS itself.

2 Likes

The great thing about Lineage OS: You don’t have to integrate such things in the OS. The user can choose whether to make modifications to the OS like adding su, f-droid privilleged, microg, xposed or - god forbid - gapps and OTA updates will still work and the modifications will remain.

2 Likes

Great news! We’re working on making it easy to install F-Droid itself on Fairphone Open, now that Privileged Extension is built in.

About using F-Droid with Privileged Extension on LineageOS, that has been supported for a while in two ways:

5 Likes

Ah, I’m on normal Lineage so I’d need to flash the extension. Automatic update just asked to enable “unknown sources”.

I have to admit I find the information on F-Droid Privileged Extension | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository hard to understand. I had to read it a handful of times and am still not sure I understood it correctly.

For example the following advantages: “Reduced disk usage in the system partition” and “The process of installing into system via root is safer”. Compared to what and how so?

And that part I think should be rewritten

Instead of this build, most users will want to install the
“Over-The-Air” (OTA) update ZIP file is called
[[org.fdroid.fdroid.privileged.ota]]. This is here to update
Privileged Extension when it has been installed using the OTA ZIP.

Assuming I understand what it is supposed to mean I would phrase it something like

Instead of this package, users should install the “Over-The-Air” (OTA) update ZIP package called [[org.fdroid.fdroid.privileged.ota]]. After the installation of the OTA package it will take care of updating this package.

Is that correct?

Yes, I think, that is the difference to FP oOS with F-Droid, privieged Extension. For me that doesn’t matter, because I am also using the Yalp store. For this last one I also need to allow “unknown sources”. But If you only use F-Droid, the FP solution is the safer one.

Sorry, but it seems you confuse open source and free software. Open source only means that you can study the source code, not the other freedoms you mention. I recommend reading e.g. this article from RMS:

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html

And while I really appreciate FP’s cooperation with F-Droid, personally, I don’t like the way you give the false impression that using FPOS with F-Droid instead of the Play Store gives you kind of "a more secure phone. ". As the minimum, I would have expected some mentioning of the fact the the FP2 requires ~200 MB of blobs for operation. Blobs which make FP direclty dependant for security updates on a vendor that regards the FP2 platform mostly EOL.

2 Likes

Does “Fairphone Open” will have a relationship with eelo project ?

See here.

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:

To make choosing F-Droid even easier, we’ve made an Fairphone Updater installer for F-Droid itself. The idea is that it can be installed from the Updater just like someone installs Fairphone Open, or how FP1 installed Google Play. I just made the release now, once it is built, it will show up here:

https://f-droid.org/packages/org.fdroid.fdroid.ota

How does this sound as a way to install F-Droid itself? It could also be used with regular FairphoneOS to allow people to install F-Droid next to Google Play.

8 Likes

Did you receive any answer for the Fairphone team about this feature request, Hans? :thinking:

Has anyone used it with the new LineageOS 15.1 yet? The description of the package at F-Droid Privileged Extension OTA | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository says as last changes:

Fixed OTA ZIP for Android 8.0 Oreo

I would assume that it’ll also work for 8.1, right? Can you confirm @eighthave?

F-Droid Privileged Extension works on 8.1 and 9 if its built into the
ROM. There were changes (“system as root”) that broke the previous OTA
flash method. @cdesai/@cde made a fixed version that just needs to be
tested before it can be released:

Test binaries are available for download, click “Download test
artifacts” from the button on the right of the topmost build here:

3 Likes

Ah, thanks for the information.

I downloaded the test artifacts ZIP and extracted the file called F-DroidPrivilegedExtension-0.2.8-5-g8d24dbc-debug.zip which I then flashed with TWRP.

Looks like it’s working, fdroid was able to automatically install updates without complaining about unknown sources. :slight_smile:

Thanks for your work!

Hmmm, it really didn’t work with latest release? My Nexus 4 running LOS 15.1 (no A/B device, no /system as / AFAIK) does work well, auto-updates an all. FP2 shouldn’t be different, :thinking:

Actually, I didn’t try the OTA package from the fdroid store.

After the update from 14.1 to 15.1 the priviledge extensions stopped working.
When I went to the fdroid store to install them again I found that note about 8.0 (and not 8.1), so I didn’t install it and asked here instead.

Oreo needs a whitelist permission file (← beware Google link) in /etc/permissions/ for system privileged apps that F-Droid didn’t include until that Oreo update, so you just needed to flash the new update, :slight_smile:

1 Like

The latest official version worked for me. No need to flash an experimental one.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.