Are you powered by muscles, public transportation, electricity or fossils?

Yes I got that. :slight_smile:
My solution is decades old, develop a lifestyle that doesn’t require a car etc.

So I use the excuse of having to wear a mask not to go on public transport giving me more time to focus on all the other demands I put on the environment.

No not really. Fossil fuels, wind and bio are all sourced from the sun.

Nuclear isn’t :rofl: and that is more limited than solar, just another temp resource to indulge our planet transformation.

1 Like

Aren’t there electricity providers which guarantee that they provide wind/solar/biogas-generated electricity only? I mean, you will not get the solar-driven electrons yourself, but somebody else will, and the net effect should be that there’s less demand for nuclear.

Here in Germany, we’re on what they call “Ökostrom” since years.

And to complete the answer - I’m cycling since I was a kid, but with 4 kids in a village you can’t get away without a car :frowning: There’s no bus at all during weekends, although this is just a village near a city - I wouldn’t call it rural at all, and the situation is really a shame. Waiting for the next company car cycle to get an electric, or better, H2-powered car. We make our own electricity, so that should be possible, if legal :expressionless:

2 Likes

Yeap! Didn’t send my kids to school do didn’t require any transport. In the UK school is not compulsory.
:infinity:

Yes of course there are. There’s also a law in France that provides for certification. I just wonder whether anyone has checked whether the total supplied is within the limit of the total produced … euh, I’ll try and find out.

And how do kerbside charging points procure supplies? I’d be heavily dependent on them.

To my mind the only way to be sure is to buy direct from the producer. That’s not an option for a lot of people. So we have to push government policy.

My apologies this is verging off-topic so I’ll leave it there.

1 Like

Unless you are on a closed grid, then no.

Maybe a bit off topic as OldRoutard said but not irrelevant to the issue of ‘electricity’ and it’s perceived benefits.

Electricity comes via a grid which takes it ‘power’ from any and every source so

• You cannot be selective about what you use. Similar to the use of Fairtrade gold in ‘these’ phones ~ the Fairtrade gold goes into a big pot and everyone gets a bit.

• However in a similar fashion to Fairphone a company can invest in alternatives.

There’s a company in the UK that spends every penny of it’s income building wind generators etc.

They had to borrow to start the company in order to buy the ‘mixed’ source electricity.

What they contribute is a little more ‘alternatively’ generated electricity.

Will drive my old Diesel until it breaks down, then I’ll get an electric car. I live remote, no public transport around. The old Diesel is pretty clean and doesn’t consume a lot, and, while I think electric powered mobility is great, I am not convinced; the production of batteries is (environmentally) problematic, as it is for the Fairphone, so I am quite pleased that the battery of my 2+ year old FP3 works as if it is new :+1:

10 Likes

Hi dode and welcome to the forum.

Yes the production of Li-ion batteries is appalling and recycling isn’t up to much, but not much choice with a phone or an electric car.

Old milk floats used to use lead acid :slight_smile:

1 Like

Interesting to see the large amount of people without cars. In North America that’s almost unheard of, even in cities. I don’t have a license or car, which is fine because I live in the city. During the summer I try to bike as much as possible, but during the winter I have to use public transit for the majority of my transportation needs.

I’m sort of entertaining the idea of moving to somewhere with better public transport (and milder winters), but that mainly depends on if my job will allow it.

11 Likes

We are looking at a niche group of people here, not what I would call a large amount, a very relative word :slight_smile:

I have more than a handful of children, all brought up vegan and no school, all but one have standard jobs and cars, though two have or have had a Fairphone. Only two are still vegan

As you note, it’s the job than is often a deciding factor, and getting kids to school on time :slight_smile:

1 Like

I live in a big city. So I mostly use my bike (fahrrad Manufaktur, amazing brand) found on a flea market, my feet and public transportation (free during weekends, I guess to make people go buy stuff in the city).

I use my bike everyday to go see some friends, buy local food and go to places where I am a volunteer. I love my bike <3 so pretty so convenient!

Because I lack the money but I have a lot of time to spare, I recently joined a bike repair collective to learn things and repair it by myself. I can meet people and make new friends. This would never have happened if I had given my bike in a repair shop.

I am unemployed, so I have a lot of time to spare. I really love to take my time and find better opportunity to move, live and eat.

I love to take the train to travel to far locations (I wish there would be more train station though). Since I am looking for a job, my country provided me a card that makes it cheaper to travel with.

I used to have a car that I did not use at all, or sometimes to go on the seaside or visit my family (which are both not that far by the way, 100kms). It costed me way too much each month (insurance, oil, repair…). So a year ago I decided to give it to a garage for free and I now never intend to buy one anymore!

I sometimes need a car to go play music and move my instrument for instance. I ask my friends if I can borrow one or I rent one on the internet.
I think it would be better if friends, family, neighbors… shared a same car.

Cheers

12 Likes

My work requires physical presence every now and then, so I have to transport to location. I’m also not a fan of video calls, so much context gets lost, and it tends to generate too much BS. Its a decent alternative in general though.

Fossil fuels are not renewable.

Nuclear fusion is the sun, it creates no waste, but its difficult to develop and test (its not efficient as of now). There’s also safety concerns (but not regarding nuclear waste)

What is available now is nuclear fission which does create nuclear waste but we can safely dispose it. By doing so, its much better for Co2 reduction than all fossil fuels we currently use (gas, coal, bio, etc). Together with the downtime renewables are going to have, and the lack of a world-wide grid in a World Of Peace (™), nuclear fission is a solid solution to reduce Co2. If only China was using it more than their coal stuff, they’d have much less smog issues.

That’s a big debate and ‘we’ don’t agree :slight_smile:

Who is your ‘we’ if it excludes me ??

Maybe the current disposal method doesn’t end up in your back yard ?? but it is in your neighbourhood if you consider this planet as your neighbourhood.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not against nuclear fission as long as the waste is dumped a long long way away from me on an island it can’t me removed from. Oh! that doesn’t exist so best be careful where it is deposited, Mr New Physsion

1 Like

We as in society, specifically the workers of the company who are responsible for it. I’d rather have a nuclear fission reactor in my backyard than live near IJmuiden’s Tata Steel (or any coal plant). The waste, if you leave it alone, is safe. There’s much less choice in what air you breathe, apart from expensive safety masks.

1 Like

OK got your society, not mine, but that’s fine. I see no such thing in terms of responsibility just an escape for individuals that tout ‘society’ ‘the greater good’ ‘god help us’

But yes being near a nuclear dump may seem , in the short term, better than a coal plant, but a coal plant is only 'short term/ nuclear is ‘forever’.

Anyway they will both run out soon, so the future is looking a bit cleaner regarding such waste.

12 posts were split to a new topic: A discussion about nuclear power

Great question. I am a 63 year old male living in rural UK, I have an office 7km from home. I ride a bike for all local trips and where possible (2-3 times a week) for work, I have an electric car for all other trips, and I changed my diet to Vegan a little over a year ago.

12 Likes

I am powered by muscles - in a wheelchair - for roundabout the next 6 months. After that i will ride my bicycle again, I hope. Alternatives are busses or trains. Public traffic connections are good and barriere-free. The (Cologne/Bonn/GER) area here is a crowded region and I don’t need an own car.

14 Likes

To contribute something away from nuclear energy: I live in a major city and don’t own a car. Almost all trips can be made on foot, by public transport or by bicycle. The child sits in the trailer, which can be attached to both the trekking bike and the folding bike.
To work, I cycle 5 km to the station, 35 minutes S-Bahn or 20 minutes InterCity. The last 5 km belong to the folding bike again. Once a week I ride the folding bike the 65 km home.
For transport tasks, the child trailer must hold out. If the German government would subsidize cargo bikes instead of hybrid SUVs, one would be used for larger transports.
For vacation travel before Corona, the train was the transport of choice (also to Lisbon or Finland from Germany), combined with other public transport and/or the bicycle. During the pandemic, we took a vacation trip by car for the first time because we didn’t want to put the child through a mask of several hours on the train.
Three to four times a year we rent an electric car via car sharing for trips that can’t be done any other way.

I live for rent in an apartment building, so unfortunately no photovoltaic or heat pump…

Apparently average here in the forum and (decreasingly!) exotic in the rest of life.

12 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.