Are random reboots processor related?

AA and many reboots (on average 1 per day or more).

I suggest to indicate in a more relevant form how to check the kind of processor (it took me a while to find out how to do it).

2 Likes

AA with many reboots BUT non only on high CPU usage.
At first with OpenOS last year the main reboot causes where due to 4G settings for SIM1 (didn’t try on SIM2 as it isn’t 4G); other causes where basically environmental ones especially on high summer temperatures.
With latest OpenOS versions reboots went more rare and mainly with high CPU usage.
No I’m on MM beta and I suffered some reboots last week during high CPU load (gaming) only and 4G problem seems to be solved because I’m on 4G for 2 months (even with OpenOS or with MM beta).
On MM I also can notice the phone becomes hot more frequent than on LP, even with normal usage (not only gaming), but the scenarios are very different because on LP I didn’t have GApps and I had also a lower battery consumption (about 2.5 days, while now it barely reaches 1.5 days).
Since yesterday I’m trying to limit the CPU frequency because while gaming the phone becomes very hot, so I’ll report back in the next days :slight_smile:

UPDATE: no reboots until now (up and running for 90 hours) even during gaming + battery charging (which was a frequent cause of reboots) with CPU freq limited to 1497MHz, all 4 cores active

I notice one core going offline and back by itself when I start Kernel Auditor. When I activate it manually, an other starts switching. Only after activating all of them, they seem to stay activated (but for how long?)

1 Like

This is interesting. Even though there is not a mutually exclusive relation, the issue seems to be processor related (with AA processors having more reboots).
However there are still too few answers to the poll. It would be interesting to do some stats with a bigger sample!

2 Likes

Hi. My FP2 randomly reboots around once/week - AA processor

This is a replacement for a handset which rebooted many time each day, but I don’t know the processor.

Happy to give you more info if it might help. Just tell me what’s required.

Barry

Well, the current standings don’t look too good for AA processors, I guess I’m just lucky for the time being …

People with random reboots should perhaps try changing the processor settings as proposed by @Antimailer:

As for doing this:

It would be pretty interesting whether that helps for their processor or not.

1 Like

That’s the same with me - had a replacement handset which stopped the frequent rebooting but new handset still has regular freezes. (and it’s an AA CPU).

I experience most of my random reboots while browsing the web (Firefox, Opera). Aside from the web-browsing random reboots, my FP2 (AA processor) is quite stable.

Could you try the webbrowser Lightning (F-Droid) to see if that helps?

Hi i have a AB processor and it reboots/freezes at least one time a day using random app Facebook, Maps, etc…
It is becoming really frustrating : I emailed Fairphone because it’s been more than 1 year i am using it and i am tired of these brutal reboots or freezes (black screen)

That’s not random at all. Facebook is known to cause reboots:

:information_source: A reminder to everybody. Please carefully read the first post in the random reboots thread and try all the tips there to rule out different issues and then change your vote above if anything changes.

1 Like

All this topic seems to me somehow over-technical. I had several reboots too. But it was a real simple problem:
The accu has to much space and doesn’t fit hard enough to avoid contact loss to the phone.
Solved:
After sticking a small peace of thick paper into the gap between the phone and the accu on the opposite side of the contacts, and an additional scotch tape piece over the back to hold the accu, I never had an unplanned reboot again.
I suggest everyone should try first this kind of “hardware upgrade” before thinking about deeper problems, as possible they may be, too.

1 Like

@Hitstone the reboots du to loose battery are also mentioned in the post I linked above. If you don’t have any reboots anymore with the DIY fix (after a month or so) please vote above accordingly.

2 Likes

I’ve an aa processor and get one random lock up a day on average, sometimes more. Got a replacement phone and it still happens. Not sure what processor type the original phone was.

Is there anyway to tweak the processor settings without rooting the phone? I’ve apps that don’t work if the phone is rooted :frowning:

Just rereading this thread, people are talking about reboots. I’m getting compete lockups that require a 10 second power button press to recover from. Are they the same thing for this thread? Or different problem?

I have both. To me they seem interchangeable (if I suffer more from one, the other does occur less)…

I hardly ever see a random reboot, and when I do I feel like it was Facebook doing it.

I just had a lock up, and in this case (and it’s happened like this a few times now,) you can really imagine it’s a CPU problem. The phone becomes oddly slow. Not in that everything is taking ages to load or swap to, but scrolling mostly. I was trying to browse this thread, and I stopped being able to flick down to make it scroll quickly. Instead I had to drag down and it would slowly scroll the page at the same rate as the finger. After posting my last message on here, I locked the phone via the power button, and then wanted to check the time. Pressing the power button did nothing (as normal in the lock ups) After leaving the phone for 10 minutes, it was still locked up ad i had to 10sec long press and restart the phone. It’s really frustrating!

AA processor here. I had freezes for months (I think between around 1 year to six months ago). The phone froze and I had to reboot it holding the start button for many seconds.
In the last months I have not had this issue anymore but I have reboots instead. The phone freezes (similarly to what it did before) and after a few seconds of freeze automatically reboots.
It is already better because at least if anyone calls me or the alarm clock is set the phone is never accidentally shut down.

Did you do anything to fix it?

I tried changing the cable and I exclude it to be facebook related as I do not have facebook. I had no time to test other possible explanations.
However I have a personal theory that involves the battery because I feel like most of my reboots happen when the phone is on charge or almost fully charged.

I guess there might be many issues related to reboots and freezes so I doubt a general solution exists for everyone.