Are fairphones (I own a FP 2) 64 bit or 32 bit devices?

Hello,
I am trying to install a 64 bit app on my Fairphone 2 and it’s not working (I have a second phone, Samsung A6, that one is 32 bit too). I wanted to ask which fairphones are 64 and 32 bit, and if we can change that somehow. Thank you!

Hi,

I guess the Fairphone 2 is a 32 bit device, since it is using a Snapdragon 801 processor.

8 Likes

As Paule says, this is determined by the processor. The processor used in each model is indicated in the technical specifications, for example of the FP3+. Those of the FP4 are here. As you will see, these are both 64 bit devices.

It’s not possible to change the processor in models produced up to now.

6 Likes

You can only change it by changing the phone :wink:

Otherwise, if you will not use an app store, with both architecture repos, you have to be sure to get 32bit apks

1 Like

Thanks to all of you. I am a little confused because my other phone (Samsung A6) in theory has a 64 bit processor but a 32 bit system. I couldn’t find much info about it though, I just got told I should ‘install a custom ROM’ but not sure if that’s easy or hard (I know it’s easier with fairphone since a lot of the userbase use an open source or private OS).

I ended up using a different app available for my phone instead of the original one that requires 64 bits

1 Like

Generally, 32-bit processors (and operating systems) can only run 32-bit software while 64-bit processors can run 64-bit and 32-bit software (or: stuff can run stuff of equal or lesser bitness). The Samsung A6 actually has a 64-bit processor, so a custom 64-bit ROM would definitely work.

Other people in this thread were mentioning how the FP2 has a 32-bit processor so it can only run 32-bit software. The FP3 and FP4 both have 64-bit processors and have 64-bit OSs so they can run 32- and 64-bit apps.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.