Anything that is not working in the fairphone project

, ,

It was explained in an email and dicussed here: End of sales FP2 bottom module - #5 by aylicarper

6 Likes

thank you :slight_smile:

I don’t find it a completely satisfactory answer unfortunately :confused:

Truly, and I would never want to be disrespectful, it seems to me that a lot of the answers I get come from diehard fans, rather than critical consumers.
it is as if there was a romantic falling in love with the company that does not allow to objectively evaluate even the critical issues.

Unlikely not and also I may not have reported the keywords in the most correct way; the general sense was that;

However in the blog the possibility of new models was omitted, such as the discontinued production of components, as well as that the upgrades would have been only a few and one per generation. Everything suggested quite the opposite. You can check it easily (I am referring to the launch period of the FP2).

I am not a fan of Fairphone nor would I promote or encourage anyone to buy a ‘Fairphone’

Criticisms are essential but who is the target of the criticism. Inanimate objects cannot be the target for a response whether a volcano, a fork or a phone.

When there is an artefact the manufacturer can be criticised, but there is the question as to what purpose is the criticism.

Often it seems people are not satisfied with the product, but here the product is a not so much a phone as a way of getting consumers to consider the impact on the labourers not the consumers.

So for someone like me the fairtrade is the focus. For example I buy Fairtrade and organic rum from Paraguay. There are better tasting rums but I do not criticise ‘Papagayo’ for their rum nor for that matter other less caring manufacturers.

So if there is a sensible criticism then approaches to Fairphone may be a more productive use of interaction rather just blowing hot air on the forum members, or do both or either.

Maybe Fairphone will take some notice but I bet they have heard it all before.

I couldn’t do any better or anywhere near as good a job as they have done.

There are aspects of the phone and the support that leave me tired and wanting out of this mire, but that where the lotus grows.

thant’s is absolutely not the point; both go togheter necessarily; i didn’t say that they are not working in that direction, but that can do it better.
Is not a case futhermore that Fairphone is an S.r.l. and not non-profit cooperative (non-profit cooperative does not mean that workers should not have more than decent wages, rather that profits do not go to the owners, but are reinvested in development)

I think mine is a “sensible criticism”; i think that the forum is one of the correct’s place to share opinion and open a debate also to move some respectful critic to some other opinion than mine :wink:

like i say it wasn’t my intention to offend anyone. Maybe “diehard” is a disrispectful term? in this case sorry, i’m not a native speaker.

I am among the active members of a repair café and the theme of repairability and programmed obsolescence is very dear to me. This makes me a very demanding person on these issues.

2 Likes

By the way I am not offended :slight_smile: just a bit bemused by what people see as a priority, which leads to a range of criticisms.

Whereas I like the notion that people can take responsibility in repairing their phones and other utilities, this then reaches out to the planet.

And here’s where I diverge from business as a producer of artefacts, and there is always criticism due to the artist and manufacturer but where fairtrade is at the forefront I find it difficult to address as the strong always exploit the weak. It’s the business of the soul, dare I say :slight_smile:

I do what I can on every day issues, not a public cafe. Did that decades ago, now it’s down to the sun, soil, rain and wind.

Glad to know you are at the public end of being aware of the human consumer indulgence.

Good luck with the cafe and your colleagues.

:+1:

Sure, nevertheless, having arrived in the FP2 era just before the FP3, I can assure you I don’t consider the FP2 as a stable phone, whatever FP might have said about it, whereas from what I have heard of it, the FP3 seems to be, although not always highly satisfactory, much better designed (i.e not having microphone/USB/reboots issues due to hardware). Software is an issue I agree, but I hope they do better with FP4.

FP2 sales went down already in 2017 and 2018, at the point that people thought Fairphone as a company was dead. The FP3 was needed then.

Would you rather pay a cheap 150€ phone every two years? Comes down about to the same price, but not the same environmental impact.

Honestly, I doubt it, as I said before very few people would buy the FP2 in 2019, because unfortunately not many buyers like you or me find the FP2 satisfactory enough still today, and if you don’t have any buyers, then your company remains a concept. And even by improving it, if there are hardware issues, then you’ll spend even more money buying spare parts and improvements.
Maybe the FP4 is good enough for this.

5 Likes

a lot of cheap phone last more than that! especially if you take care of them and, as i said, paradoxally often are more easy to repair than precious model of FP ( simply cause of lack of component) :frowning:

My “two cent’s moral” FP company is forcing me to buy FP3 or FP4;
this is something i would have expected from apple, but not for this company :frowning:

it reasonable would not happen, it is always cheaper to repair if there is a chance!

Unfortunately it is not always cheaper to repair than to buy. It is typically the case of a 150€ smartphone when you have to fix the screen if you don’t know how to do it yourself.

2 Likes

yes off course, i referred to FP project in that case.
Apple’s device, for example, are absolutely super expensive in matter of fixing ( and not only)…
They should call instead of iphone, unfairphone for many point of view :slight_smile:

i suggest to see this documentary :slight_smile: Il vero prezzo del tuo smarthphone-Documentario/The real price of your mobile phone-Documentary - YouTube

While I truly understand this reasoning, it is not exactly to the point.
When it comes to the FP2, I regularly link to this online-article from techcrunch based on an interview with Bas van Abel:
Can Fairphone 3 scale ethical consumer electronics?

The important part in that regard is this:

With the Fairphone 3 he says the company sought to dial down the “radical” modularity of its earlier crack at the concept — so the result is less of a ‘party trick’ smartphone design, as the Fairphone 2 was (he dubs it a “show off” phone) — and more, well, dull but worthy; modularity as a utility that’s there to enable (occasional) repairs.

“You don’t need the phone to be so super smooth in taking apart to be able to repair it,” he says. “Fairphone 2 goes beyond the idea of repairability. It’s more a show off phone in that sense. And that also comes with risks.”

While I am sure, that they did not intend the FP2 to be a show off phone, it turned out that way. I myself disassembled my FP2 quite often (i.e. taking off the display) to show others the concept of the Fairphone and advertise it.
The lesson that unfortunately had to be learned, is, that this kind of modularity does result in lots of troubles. Finally, the bottom module showed itself to be the weakest point. And, as @Alex.A already pointet out, trying to keep this concept alive at all costs would have meant burning money, which a small company like Fairphone most likely could not afford.

Therefore:
The judgement of Fairphone as a company should not based on experiences with the FP1 and FP2, as they - in my opinion - were just finding their way. I felt like a kind of beta-tester with my FP1 and FP2. :wink:
While those two phones were introduced by crowdfunding - thus making it obvious, that one buys a product in progress/development -, the FP3 was the first mode introduced via a press-conference / mass media. And that’s, where my reasoning stems from. :grinning:

3 Likes

me too :slight_smile:

your reasoning is well argued and clear! Thank you.
however it seems to me to be a certainty that if I buy an FP3 or FP4, fairphone as a company will push me in a few years to buy the FP4 or the eventual FP5 respectively.
This is the trend that I see and that nothing seems to deny :confused:

No one’s pushing you to buy a phone, any phone.

There’s only so long the core module can be maintained be that 5 years or whatever and hence a new phone is developed around a ‘new’ SoC. Along with that are new modules 5G, WiFi-7 etc and they are not easily changeable within the same basic structure.

So we have a new phone.

If you are happy with the specs of the old phone you keep it as long a you can. I have one ten years old (not a Fairphone).

My old phone didn’t have WiFi calling and I have no network coverage where I reside so a new phone was useful. Being made with Fair traded materials etc made it must have.

So are you saying it’s not so much the FP4/5 that is the problem but that you don’t think your FP2 is going to last as long as you would like?

Do you really think it’s a working business option for Fairphone to keep the FP2 on the market. I’m sure if they thought it was they would have done so.

So it’s on the next iteration of this project of finding uses for Fairly traded minerals. After all that was the starting point not pampering to the usability and repairability of the consumer.

So the production line keeps it head above water and us consumers go under a little.

We can’t all float on the labour of others, some of us have to be the raft or holding up the sinking ship.

If you can hold out wait for the FP5 6 or 7 if they float you way maybe.

Anyway us holders of Fairphones clearly have our heads above some of the mire, or at least a nose.

thanks for reasonable answer.
Yes i desired a phone with fair trated materials and without planned obsolescence. and it is not a whim of a single consumer , but a different vision of production ( many you are confusing my post as a request for the complaints department, minimizing the problem; and yes as a consumer i can only ask for this and and choose to give my money to one company instead of another.)

i already answer to that question before: we don’t know, they surely believed so.
but the question regarding sustainability is social and ecological in the same way the two things go together, it is now clearly understood.
from the official balance sheets, it is clear that some were compulsory choices? and if this is not shown, doubt is reasonable.
(if it had been a mandatory choice they would have over-advertised it - which they did in the step between 1 and 2-).
it is simple logic.

I’m pretty sure I’ll buy a new fairphone, but I believe even more new, even more sustainable projects are possible and necessary if we really want to change our impact on the planet.

Maybe i’m a dreamer, but i’m not the only one tra là là.

However I am satisfied with this debate.

thanks to all who participated.

1 Like

You surely are not
:om:

1 Like

To be true, I am completely disappointed in my FP 2. The trouble began with a camera problem only some weeks after the phone being delivered (jan. 2019) but luckily the problem could be solved with an update. Then I had problems with spontaneous reboots and poor battery power from the very beginning. The camera focus works unreliable till today. Since several weeks phonecalls are only possible with a hands-free-device due to the fact that the microphone is broken (and no sparepart available). Unfortunately and unnecessarily the bluetooth mode has quit any service some days ago and so my phone has lost any worth for me :o(((
I loved my FP 1 but I am completely unhappy with the successor and have to make a quick decision for my next mobile. I’m afraid it won’t be another Fairphone…

Sad to hear about your upsetting exoerience. My first encounter is with tge FP3 little to complain about.

Still i doubt you are afraid of not buying your next phone from Fairphone, maybe a little embarrased at the first outcome and nervous about the support.

I am not in any way surprised by your decision but the new FP4 has a swapable usb port, but no headphone jack and no LED indicator.

But overall I wouldn’t recommend a Fairphone to anyone unless they are prepared to be a little upset and can deal with it. I don’t know people like that.

Have fun with your next phone, you can always update us here with how it goes.

Good luck going back to the fold :slight_smile:

All the best
:blush:

Thanx for your answer. Concerning the buy of a new FP4 I still have to deal with the problem of the long lasting delivery process. And besides I’d rather look for a phone with a headphone jack and LED indicator. So my choice will be a refurbished one, I think. The second best way to buy a “sustainable” phone…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.