Any chance of a less allergenic version of the rubber casing?

I suffer from rubber sensitivity. Strictly speaking I am allergic not to natural latex itself, but to the rubber vulcaniser mercaptobenzothiazole (MBT for short). It’s not so bad that I react instantly to contact with rubber, so as far as I can tell the Fairphone casing has not irritated my skin in and of itself. However at the time of writing I have been affected with contact dermatitis after repeatedly handling some reusable coffee cups with rubber sleeves two weeks ago. I have removed said sleeves, washed the cups and am trying to cure the dermatitis with antihistamine tablets and steroid cream. I do wonder, however, whether the Fairphone casing is making this existing irritation worse.

Not being familiar with the ins and outs of rubber production, I have no idea whether it would be feasible to make the rubber casing without MBT. So how about a rubber-free alternative? I am aware that vinyl is not without environmental problems, but maybe there could be a plant-based option. See, for instance, this new alternative to leather made from cork:

2 Likes

I’m no expert on synthetic materials and have never heard of MBT, but when I read “rubber casing” I think of the old cases. As far as I can tell the new slim cases don’t contain rubber that you get in contact with (there are tiny pieces of rubber inside that hold the buttons to the rim).

4 Likes

As plastic has to have a code for recycling (inside of an upright arrow-triangle), you find inside of the backcover of the FP2 code no 7 for “other” or multilayer plastic.
Next to it:
PC + TPU standing for “polycarbonat” + “thermoplastic polyurethan elastomere
Made with recyled plastics

I am not sure, but I would guess, that the “rubbery” part of the casing is made of TPU. That’s used on the inside of the cover only:

• as a frame to keep the battery in place,
  • as a sealing around openings and along the rim of the backcover (on the top)
  • as bearing for the buttons.

There should not be any rubber used for the slim-cover. At least it is not mentioned.
I am not sure about the old one, though.

OK, I take that back - the Fairphone is rubber-free, thank goodness.

Now if only someone could work out how to make washing-up gloves from cork or recycled plastic instead of rubber or vinyl…

1 Like

Like literally, its so easy to buy latex free (and non vinyl gloves)…

… but I have in deed found none made of recyled materials (cork is out of the question, of course :wink: ).

I haven’t found any latex-free washing-up gloves which aren’t made of vinyl.

You sure will find none in any drugstore ore wholesale shop.
But there’s quite a lot of different gloves for workplaces/laboratories that need special protection against acid or chemicals.
There you will find gloves made of polychloropren (CR) (=Neopren) or “nitril”, that might do the trick for you.
Here’s some explanation: https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/content/dam/sigma-aldrich/docs/Aldrich/General_Information/1/labware-notes-v3n3.pdf
Just beware: Quite a few neopren-gloves are mxed with latex (or have a latex lining).

1 Like

So what I have is “Type IV allergy - Delayed allergic contact dermatitis” (what happened to Types II and III?).

1 Like

I guess you would not want to trade in for types II or especially III:
http://www.medhost.de/health/asthma/4-allergy-types.html
or more detailed:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.