Android system update - Updates temporarily unavailable

Hello, community! Since I changed from Fairphone2 to 4 in May 2023, I have been having problem with the Android system updates. For an initial couple of months, I could still install updates by clearing cache of Google Play Store and Google Play Service (per general guidance found online) but I can no longer do so. My system was up to date (Android 12) as of 5 August, and the last successful check for update is shown as 16 September. When I am prompted to update the system and proceeds by “Check for update”, the system indicates that the updates are temporarily unavailable and that I should try again later, Also, with or without related to this, my wifi connection has become a bit patchy.
If helpful - My phone was charged 80+% when I attempted the system updates multiple times, and my other devices can connect to wifi while my phone is having problem.
Any leads to solution highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Did you disable any Google apps on the phone?
Are you using any kind of firewall or VPN?

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

Could you indicate your network operator (carrier) and country? Updates are sometimes delayed deliberately for specific carriers while they sort out technical problems.
Could you also indicate your current OS version - please go to Settings > About phone > Build number.

For the Wi-Fi it might be useful to indicate the model of the router.

Could you give more detail of the symptoms?

2 Likes

Hi Volker, thank you very much for your kind response. I have not disabled any Google apps on my phone. I have been using Mcafee antivirus software. The problem seems to continue even when I disabled the software. Any further advice much appreciated. Thanks again!

1 Like

Hello @OldRoutard, thank you for the welcome and your kind comments. I am based in the US, using AT&T (this combination, while sounds tricky, has been working perfectly till recently). My current OS version (thanks for the tips!) is FP4.SP2K.B.089.20230807.
My Router model is https://drupal-cms.spectrum.net/sites/default/files/2023-10/20230621%20WiFi%206%20User%20Guide.pdf
Thank you so much for your kind help.

Have you read this topic?

T-mobile seems to be the recommended network in many areas, but implementations may vary from region to region.

To update your OS I think the solution would be to remove the SIM temporarily and connect to a stable Wi-Fi network. This isn’t recommended as a rule, because normally carriers and manufacturers work together to iron out any carrier-specific bugs and may even have to distribute variants for some carriers. So, turn off the phone, remove the SIM, and turn on the phone again. Then check for OS updates.

As for Wi-Fi 6 I don’t think that the FP4 is compatible (specs indicate: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac). Make sure that your router is offering Wi-Fi 5.

4 Likes

Hello @OldRoutard. Thank you very much for the guidance. Temporarily removing the SIM did work and I was able to do the system update, thank you! I also appreciate your pointer on the router compatibility issue (never thought of it!). I will cross-check this in some other environments (e.g., office) to confirm if this indeed is the issue, and take actions accordingly. Thank you once again for your time, expertise and willingness to help. Wishing you a great week ahead.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.