Android One-Handed Mode, and turning off Notification-LED entirely

Hello
so my Fairphone 3 arrived just two hours ago and I have several questions already, most of which I could solve with the help of friends and the forum.

However there are two issues I want to clearify.

No.1 being the missing One-Handed Mode in Android. The Fairphone 3 is HUGE (for me at least, coming from 3.5" and 4" phones, which had quite the perfect size, or if any, where a little bit on the “too large”-side (I know I’m weird)) and I am totally struggling handling it with one hand/thumb, which is normaly a prerequirement for me.
Is this really not supported natively? Or am I just missing something? Serching for this topic brought up only apps, which some of them require ADB and still won’t work with every app correctly.
With screeens getting bigger and bigger these days it seems to be a missed necessity.

I own a 40€-Windows-Phone (the 4" one mentioned above) which I have been using until now. And even this thing had an One-Handed Mode natively, where you could just hold the Home-Button for a second and the screen would be pulled down, so you could reach elements in the upper half of the screen.

No.2 is the notification LED, which I dislike in general and didn’t find any option to turn it off completely. In fact I didn’t find any options For example if i turn on battery saving mode (via atomatic mode, which I had previously set to 100% on my windows phone), a bright red light appears and flashes constantly. This is an absolut no-go for me. Can this be turned off?

Furthermore I would like to know, if any of the CustomROMs has these features build in.

4 Likes

You could “turn off” the LED entirely by sticking dark tape on the inside of the screen glass where the hole is for the LED.
With software it will probably only be possible with root + XPosed, but that’s not available for the FP3 yet. I don’t know if any custom ROMs can turn off the LED without XPosed, but custom ROMs don’t exist for the FP3 yet either anyway.

Haha, thanks, didn’t even think about that.
But anyway, isn’t a constantly flashing light - even if it’s an LED - somehow defeating the purpose of energy saving mode? So why is it blinking in the first place?

To alert the user that energy saving mode is active, which by default is the case with the battery on its last few percent, in which case most users would want to know because they are not constantly monitoring the battery status :wink: .

Short update to the One-Handed Mode, which solved the issue at least partially.

One major issue I had with the large screen was to pull down the notification center, for which you had to start swiping from the very edge of the screen. At least this occurred for the standard launcher.

Since I changed to evie launcher, I could set a gesture for pulling down notifications. Now I can swipe down on my whole screen to show the menu.
Still a bit uncomfortable to reach elements in the upper part of the screen though, but helps alot for now.

Would an app like this be of help for one-handedness control?

“Pie control” https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jun.ace.piecontrol
or
“Swiftly Switch”
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.de_studio.recentappswitcher.trial

There are similar apps available too.
They’re like launchers that appear over apps from the edge. Unsure if they’ll cover your use case entirely.

Thanks for suggestions but sadly not really a solution for me.
The Problem is more like, that there are a lot of buttons and interfaces in almost every app at the very top of the screen, e.g. adressbar in browser, menu-buttons, or simply vertical lists such as chat overview in whatsapp/telegram, which show most recents elements at the top.
All of which are not at all adressed in those apps, as far as I can tell. They seem more or less to be just shortcuts for apps or toggles.

1 Like

As additional option you can activate the accessiility menu in settings / accessibility options (German: Einstellungen > Bedienungshilfen > Menü für Bedienungshilfen).

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.