Android 6.0 Marshmallow / 7 Nougat for FP2?

I really hope so, but we definitely don’t have the community (in term of number of persons) of HTC or Samsung (like on XDA), so customs ROMs will be more difficult to create imho

But the community seems more “geeky”, so hopefully we will have update :slightly_smiling:

4 Likes

That’s logical. There are far more Samsungs and HTCs in the world than Fairphones. So, the community support will increase with every sold FP2.

2 Likes

I don’t quite understand why, given that the community is (still) small, the effort of creating a specific Fairphone OS was undertaken. It seems a more obvious path of action to use what already has been done by others for larger communities…

Be that as it may, I was sorely disappointed to find that atm I cannot upgrade to Marshmallow, as for me, the individual permissions are a very important feature on my nexus.I was hoping that to the Fairphone community, privacy protection would be more important…

It’s possible, just have a look at the Sony devices with the 801 (Sony Xperia Z2). But keep in mind the there is no real infrastructure here to do this correctly. Currently there are more important tasks for the FP developers. Like fixing the FP2 and the releasing the last FP1 4.4.4 code, I assume. There will always be newer Android software versions (google drives that bus) but other people (that don’t even have all the code) will need to fix all the small bugs and glitches on every device that differs from the nexus line :frowning: Sony just happens to have a lot of developers.

So the best workaround would be: Use a used nexus, sony or apple device in the meantime, no update issues. Or try porting it yourself using the Z2 code (it should be pretty much the same). The update for the FP2 will come … it just will take longer. :slightly_smiling:

The best solution would be not to use Android at all, but that would mean no app store, something most people wouldn’t understand.

haven’t you forget sailfisch OS ? It is said to run android apps without beeing android , right ?
Sailfish OS is still a strong candidate for android substitute, I strongly still hope so! (when ? tell me !)
Android apps can be retrieved even by download e.g. from apkpure without a so called “store”

As far as I know the community build of Sailfish OS will not have the needed components to run Android apps (alien dalvik).
I think some kind of license from Jolla is needed to use this feature.

2 Likes

It sounds like an interesting option, but without disk encryption Sailfish OS is a dealbreaker for me at the moment.

Hello Fairphone (@Douwe, @keesj, …),

Do you have some news about Android Marshmallow (released in october 2015) for the Fairphone 2?

Next android version, Android N is already underway and final version will be relased around Q3 2016 (this summer).

What can we expect, concretely ?
Do you have some new from Qualcomm?
Do you have a release schedule?

4 Likes

Sorry to say we do not have any news about Android 6.0 or 7.0 for that matter.
But as soon as we do, you’ll be the first to know :slight_smile:

What mean Fairphone don’t have any schedule plan about next major Android release ?

It is a bit surprising for a company producing an Android phone.

2 Likes

No it’s not. I guess they are focus on the minor updates and the production of the phone itself.

2 Likes

you have forgot their focus on the “marketing”. In my view marketing is the only point which is already working really good at fairphone.

Phone OS: Old-“stable” Version, still with bugs, Still no official Google-Free Version. Sailfish :pensive: Firefox :sob:
Hardware: proximity sensor Problems problems all around. Spots on the Display, when the view is white.
Marketing: Everything fine.

I’m afraid that this way of “Old-Software” will kill the Fairphone Idea. :confused: In my local Hackerspace at the beginning everyone was extremely interested in a FP2, now everyone sees how bug-fixing und developing work at Fairphone and they buy Samsung,Wileyfox or Asus. More Money for older Hardware is not a Probleme, no Customroms, still no FFOS-Version, slow bugfixes is one. Hope they see this Problem and they get off the ground.

10 Likes

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: FP2: License for binary blobs

Thanks @jom, this is my belief, too.
I am a software developer and for me it’s more important to get faster updates on my phone than newsletter :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sony and Google announced and released this week a Android N Developer preview build for Sony Xperia Z3 which incidentally has a very similar SoC to Fairphone 2 (PDF link). That shows that it might be feasible to also port Android N to FP2. Of course, this might entail that we have to wait even longer for an upgrade (if one ever happens at all) because Android N is not yet released yet.

I’m wondering whether people would be willing to wait somewhat longer and skip Android 6 entirely. What are your opinions?

6 Likes

I’m totally willing to wait for Android 7 and skipping Android 6. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m waiting for Android 6 and don’t want to skip it.

Is there any kind of update for this available? I’m a little bit reluctant to buy a new phone if it is already clear that it will never receive an update to Android 6 (which imho includes quite important features compared to android 5)

1 Like

My natural pessimism and experience of the FP1 tells me that we might be skipping all new android versions until the FP3 is out…

2 Likes

How or why is that clear?
I think the discussion above was just about skipping it, and to develop Android 7 immediately, without having v6 in between.

1 Like