Android 6.0 Marshmallow / 7 Nougat for FP2?

It seems we are both right :slight_smile:

Post 117 in this topic:

The most official POSTIVE statement regarding Android 6 I have found comes directly from the Fairphone Twitter account:

“Hi, yes, we expect to upgrade the Fairphone 2 to Android 6.0 in the second half of 2016.”

2 Likes

They did, but apparently it takes longer. In post #241 (from Nov.) was the latest announcement of a Fairphone staff member.

3 Likes

It would be nice to have an official announcement from Fairphone especially because the lack of Communication is the biggrst issue of a lot of people here. De security is very late this month so maybe 6 is really coming :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

2017 must be a year of improving community communication and information management, yes :).

8 Likes

I don’t think so. It would be available for the beta testers before. And we haven’t heard from them.

3 Likes

Yeah, when I remember correctly, the updates come around the 20th of the month. Some days to go!

Nevertheless, I look forward to the update to Marshmallow. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh no, I don’t think anything good will happen on January 20th, 2017! :frowning:

3 Likes

Fairphone OS 1.11.1 and still based on Android 5.1… :frowning:
My employer will discontinue support for my BYOD device in May if it is not running on Android 5.1.1 or higher! Bye bye, Fairphone… it has been a bumpy ride…

1 Like

In November @Douwe announced:

So, while we don’t know anything more specific yet, chances are that by May your Fairphone will run Android 6.

13 Likes

Perhaps within a month? I noticed this tweet from last week, stating it is “coming within weeks”. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

wohooo!!! WEEKS!!! :slight_smile: :tada:

even tough “weeks” can easily accumulate to months and even years and still be measured in weeks :wink: let’s hope for the best!

8 Likes

While we are talking about Marshmallow 6.0 there is a talk going on since about spring 2016 about 6.1 coming up. So whenever FP2 would receive 6.0 it would still bring more work to reach 6.1 which again seems to be a fix update to iron out remaining bugs.

So I am eager to see what will come.

Is 6.1 ever released? I know the rumors which are from 2015 but 6.0.1 is the latest version isn’t it?

2 Likes

If I recall correctly, it was rumored that Google would annouce it at the Google I/O 2016, but then Android 7 was announced :slight_smile: So yeah, 6.0.1 should be latest version.

3 Likes

Hey, @Douwe, do you like marshmallows? Just a naive question, you know. Warming marshmallows at a campfire, telling stories about sustainability and ethical stuff, :wink:

Edit: although those points remind me to the Ubuntu Touch port booting… but second image is clearly Android.

7 Likes

@Roboe Are you still active on porting CM, now LineageOS, to FP2 :)?

1 Like

Negative. By the way, Lollipop branch is still called CyanogenMod. LineageOS is Android 6 onwards.
I’ll try to resume the porting efforts once Fairphone releases Marshmallow sources, :wink:

4 Likes

Is that why Fairphone stopped producing open Lollipops in 2017 - because they will produce open Marshmallows soon? :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Too bad, yes, as there are some serious qualcomm bugs fixed in February. So, even waiting for marshmallow, a 17.02 lollipop would be fine

3 Likes

Guess I was wrong. They are now beta testing a new googly Lollipop, so the reason for the delay in open Lollipop production must be something else. Maybe @anon36364121 is sick?