Android 6.0 Marshmallow / 7 Nougat for FP2?

Several folks in our German language FB group recently installed the Android 6 beta (often out of frustration with FP2 crashes which seem to have been reduced significantly after the update) wildly, i.e. without registering as beta testers (as far as I know). Given I have no FP2 myself and am not a member of the beta testing group, could anyone tell me:

Will the update to the official Android 6 from the Android 6 beta work the same way as updating from Android 5.1 to Android 6?

I simply want to be prepared (as an admin over there) on D day.

5 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: Android 6 default messaging app

(Please excuse the double post. The one above was a reply to the user above.)

How about moving this thread into the new Android 6 section? It’s obviously the most active thread about this topic and the section is still quite empty.

Because it is not a discussion about specific #software:android-6 features.

As much as I love that Android 6 is coming along, I hope the communication about Android 7 will be more transparent.

That doesn’t mean I want a status update or one final comment right now, but just an official update in 2017 would be cool, about the current approach or what options they consider or if they came to the conclusion that they can’t overcome the qualcomm driver / google certification issues or whatsoever :slight_smile:

Anyway, I’m eager for the Android 6 update and keep up the good work :smiley:

11 Likes

Just for completeness, I also post the latest news here:

Despite all the obstacles, there is now a working Android Nougat (LineageOS 14.1) for the FP2! :sweat_smile: :tada:

Please consider, the available OS is still quite BETA and not officially supported. But if you know your way around custom recovery and your life does not depend on your phone (or you just have a decent backup strategy :grin:) then you should definitely give it a try!

Please see this

and

for more info.

Is awesome to see, what the Fairphone community is capable of!
(even overtook my girlfriends newer Samsung device, which still runs Marshmallow :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

8 Likes

Agreed.

So the “Who’s got the higher version number?” game is coming to Fairphone? I can barely hold myself back from exploding into excitement, circus and extravaganza :wink: .

2 Likes

Why not just using freedreno ?

1 Like

Your question made me do some research (again) and there is much evidence (Vulkan is not needed) that the GPU is not the actual reason why a FP2 with Android 7 Nougat probably wouldn’t pass the Google CTS.

This article on androidauthority.com finally pointed me into another direction: Missing encryption capabilities. The Android 7.1 Compatibility Definition Document (CDD), however, doesn’t differ much from the Android 6.0 CDD in that regard.

At least the CDD for Android Nougat exists by now, so maybe someone else finds any hint to why FP2 may not be able to pass the CTS for Android 7. I still don’t see any reason.

13 Likes

I still don’t see any reason.

uuh, I’d love an official statement from Fairphone what the current reason or status is. Just an update, nothing final… :wink:

6 Likes

:exclamation:EDIT: PLEASE read @anon99326380’s correction a few posts further down on what is the actual state of things.

This German article claims something that sounds almost too good to be true: Android 7 will come onto the Fairphone 2, perhaps even Oreo? (“Android 7 fürs Fairphone kommt”). According to the article which makes reference to Olivier Hebert, it’s not a question of “if”, but “when”. I really hope this is not just a misunderstanding.

My own improvised English translation of (page 2) paragraph 1:

The successor model seems more future-proof: For the Fairphone 2 which runs Android 6 by now, the manufacturer* promises an update to Android 7 Nougat, Hebert just won’t state anything on the possible release date. Potentially only in the year 2018. What about Android 8 Oreo? Let’s see, according to the Fairphone CTO [Chief Technical Officer]. However, skipping Android 7 and upgrading straight to Android 8 would be a too challenging endeavour.

• i.e. Fairphone

Article found by @NephewJ

16 Likes

Could be in the form of Lineage OS?

Interesting read! I still hope for a new Fairphone that keeps screen and most modules compatible, so I can keep using perfectly good camera and loudspeakers and screen, for example, with a new SoC.

Thanks for sharing.

4 Likes

Well, he sounds very confident that Android 7 will come to our phones. I hope more news are coming this year :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m wondering why the information stands on a third-party website and @Bas_van_Abel did not inform us, the Fairphone 2 owners, at all.

Because we are not the owners of Fairphone.

I meant the device, not the company.

1 Like

Fairphone is very careful with its media strategy - announcements are made on the right time and platform to generate the greatest impact. An announcement on the forum would lead to many questions from forum users when it will come & complaints about ‘outdated’ Marshmallow.

1 Like

Hey people,

we are currently following up with the author of the article. It refers to a question for Olivier during our Camera Launch press conference in Berlin 2 weeks ago. Olivier verbatim said “we are looking into it”. That means that the FP2 is currently still officially limited to Android 6. That also means that - in the interest of software longevity - we are definitely looking into possibilities to provide software support for as long as possible. He was stressing the obligation we have towards trying to provide longer-living software solutions. The article took it from there and spun it further. Rest assured that you will get all relevant information from us directly.

I hope this has clarified the circumstances of this article. Why should we be bold and clear to journalists and secretive to you?

Best,
Daniel

23 Likes

Wow - looking forward to seeing this happen.

5 Likes

That really would be a change!

4 Likes