Android 13 on the Fairphone 3(+)

Are you thinking of something like ✏ Known reproducible and reported issues of the Fairphone 4 by any chance?

1 Like

yes, for the FP3 though (especially with a big update like android 13, we can expect a number of glitches/regressions/quirks…)

1 Like

I’ve moved some of the responses in the “fingerprint” topic here as they are not about the fingerprint but all issues with A13 on FP3.

1 Like

Downloading on my FP3 in the UK on GiffGaff…

1 Like

Installed it this morning, so far so good.
I have just lost the fingerprint authentification for my banking app, and I am pretty annoyed by the not-movable Google bar…

2 Likes

Yes both are endemic to A13, not a Fairphone choice.

You can try a different launcher, I use Nova

See

but the fingerprint issue isn’t going away soon as there is no alternative using A13

2 Likes

I just installed the update almost without problems (Germany, 1&1). There were two minor glitches only:

I had a custom ring tone configured before the update, and after the update, the phone didn’t use the custom ring tone any more. It rang without a ring tone. I configured the custom ring tone again and now it works.

Mobile Data wasn’t working after update and reboot. I had to to do another reboot, and then it worked again without any configuration changes.

1 Like

Hi,
I’m currently using LineageOS 20. But I want to leave LineageOS 20.0 in favour of your stock ROM, as it suffers massive permission problems (see comparable problems with LineageOS 19 - FP3-LOS 19.1: System instable after leaving standby - potential problem due to permission problems of system apps like Systemui, Appop (#5317) · Issues · LineageOS / issues / android · GitLab ), so that SystemUI and some apps like “Magic Earth” are freezing very often (I don’t know whether these permission warnings are causing the freeze - but I find those warnings when I analyse the logs of such a freezing situation).

Therefore I was waiting for official Android 13 support in StockROM.

Now I’m quite disappointed, that fingerprint sensor is no more usable for banking apps and the like.

So I’d like to get a best of both worlds:

• stable base system directly from Fairphone OS
  • working “hack” for fingerprint sensor like in LineageOS 20

Question:
Is it possible, that Fairphone offers an “unofficial” version, which provides usable fingerprint sensor like in LineageOS? - I’d be happy to accept warnings regarding “Custom ROM” in some apps. I just need a stable running OS with working fingerprint sensor in context of banking apps and the like.

Or is it easier for the administrators of a Custom ROM to adopt the OS optimizations of Fairphone OS in their Custom ROM?

Bye,
Achim

1 Like

Oh, one more glitch: The emergency contacts (or whatever they are called in the English locale, “Notfallkontakte” in German) I had configured in the settings have disappeared without notice after the update. Not good!

IIRC you had to enter them manually in the settings in Android 11, or not? Now they have to be selected from the contacts. So they probably disappeared because of a major change between Android 11 and 13, and it’s not FP-specific…?

2 Likes

My installation seems to have gone well so it will just be a case of getting used to the quirks of the new interface and settings now! So far I’m not at all keen on the analogue clock widget options, nor the fact that the Mobile Data and Wi-Fi options have been combined together in a single Internet option in the pull-down menu, which requires an extra step to toggle one or other on or off compared to Android 11. I can see some interesting new options though, including Extra dim which I’ll try out at the cinema later…

1 Like

I have a bank app that still works with the fingerprint so you have to try and see if yours works or not.

1 Like

Hi there

I guess neither … nor … is the answer because if the sensor in the FP3 is now declared as weak/unsafe from point of view of google then you´d have to address this issue towards Google (or the provider of the respective banking app) to allow such sensors.

It´s not really Fairphone´s fault that the fingerprint sensor does not work anymore in combination with some (but not all) apps.

Ok, some could say why didn´t FP decide to build the FP3 with a different sensor but this question is also nonsense since such a discussion should have taken place in the design phase of the product years ago.

However, it´s still amazing for me to see that so much people still blindly trust the fingerprint method while we all should know better that it´s totally easy to circumvent this “security” measurement

… my 5 cent … :wink:

1 Like

Ok, finally I got that update to A13, too. (Also Germany / Provider 1&1)

Like already above mentioned some slight glitches

→ Mostly same here but even a bit worse: I had self defined ring tones and these were set back to the ******* standard google earkillersounds. Luckily this could be rolled back to “my normal” manually.

Additionally to that evenever I had an incoming call no app opened and I wasn´t able to answer the call at all (but after the call I was able to see in the dialer app that someone tried to call me).
This happened only if the FP was unlocked. On the lock screen I was able to see and answer incoming calls. However, this strange behaviour is gone now after a reboot.
(Btw: I didn´t use the default data-hungry dialer app from google but the “simple dialer” by Tibor Kaputa - DL’ed from F-droid)

Beyond that so far no further issues yet.

PS:
Does anyone know how to get rid of that new ugly android design?
I already use the Nova launcher but the lock screen is fully annoying, Thanks Google, I feel like back in Kindergarden! :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

2nd Question: I had a clock widget (simple clock; also from Tibor Kaputa) on the unlocked main screen and now this icon is an double-ugly clock now (Thanks again Google for being braindead :triumph:)
Anyone got a clue how to get a “simple looking clock widget” or recommendations for alternatives?

Best
DonFnord

PPS: last but not least … the full update notice screenshot

4 Likes

Hi,
in FP3 Android 13 - no fingerprint for 1Password any more - #2 by elhefe38 Ingo has written: “As Fairphone has to pass Google certification there is no way to “cheat” around this. Maybe custom ROMs can.”

Does anybody know, whether LineageOS does some sort of “cheating”, to get around this limitation?
→ if it doesn’t, then things does not get worse by Fairphone OS 13 - then I can switch to Fairphone OS 13 without loosing anything

Bye,
Achim

I’ve spotted one bug so far… On the lock screen, my phone has been telling me for a while that it is ‘75% • Charging slowly • Full in 8 hrs’ despite it not actually being plugged in and not at 75% charge.

Hi again,

since some apps with fingerprint sensor functionality work with A13 on FP3 and some don´t I would rather say it´s depending on the respective app provider and not the ones that develop the OS.

Best
DonFnord

1 Like

Installed Android 13 on a FB3+, Android is bloatware at just over 1GB.

Yes, LineageOS has made some hacks, see here:

I don’t remember having those issues you mentioned with iodéOS (LineageOS fork) - you could also try iodéOS.
But it doesn’t seem to be a general issue for FP3 LineageOS users.
Have you already tried to completely wipe the OS and do a fresh reinstall?
This might help…

No, that almost certainly won’t happen.

1 Like

Hi,

I know that the update is rolled out in stages.

Do you know the maximum delay for all the stages to be completed ?

No update yet for my FP3 in France.

Update not available yet in Italy either.