Android 10 upgrade - Random reboots

Unfortunately this didn’t fix it for me. I had three reboots within a few hours and had to make the conclusion that I didn’t see any change in reboot behavior… went back to google dialer app.

2 Likes

Since I updated my phone to Android 10 I’ve been having the issue of random reboots. I already tried turning off the wifi for a few days and it restarts less often, however the problem comes back as soon as I turn on the wifi again. It has come to the point where the restarts are so often that the phone is completely unusable. I already sent a ticket almost 2 weeks ago and tried calling customer service without a reply. My ticket number is 396406.

1 Like

Hi there, welcome to the forums!
I moved your post here as there was already a topic about it. Please have a look around, it’s being worked on.

@formerFP.Com.Manager?

1 Like

This fix did not help me, unfortunately. Going back to Google’s dailer app as well.

I tried this option last week, but not being able to recieve normal phone calls made me switch off airplane mode after about 1 night.
Curiously enough, while it is now back to normal settings, I haven’t had any reboot so far!
No idea why, coincidence maybe, but I’m happy with it so far!

I don’t know if it is an Android 10 issue, my phone even reboots when it’s not switched on. It happens when you plug in the power and when the phone is off. It briefly flashes the big battery indicator on the screen and switches off. But immediately switches on again, flashing the batt. indicator, and. switches off again. Etc. I tried everything, including full factory reset and of course wifi off, no sim cards, no sd card (didn’t use one :wink: ) It almost feels like a hardware issue, as it always happens when you plug in or remove the usb cable (and the ‘rebooting’ when not switched on, so it happens before any of the systems are technically on)

Edit: like this one: Random reboots every few minutes, cannot use my phone

And I did not have any significant updates recently. The Android 10 upgrade was more than a month ago? Don’t even remember.

edit 2: I never use wifi as I have an unlimited T-mobile account. It is hardly ever switched on, only on rare occasions.

I have also experienced random reboots since the Android 10 upgrade. With WiFi enabled, reboots happen quite reliably when reconnecting to the WiFi in our home.

I use a WiFi range extender (on the same SSID as the main router), and just to test what happens, I unplugged it a couple of days ago. Interestingly, I haven’t had any reboots since then (uptime is now 129 hours). Does anyone else here use a WiFi range extender?

I used a WiFi repeater too, just like you, same SSID, unplugging it didn’t work for me though…

Interesting. I reconnected it yesterday and had multiple reboots since then. But do your reboots also appear to occur when reconnecting to your WiFi? I wonder whether there are multiple causes for the random reboots (I haven’t had any reboots during phone calls, for example).

Hi Marcel,

I couldn’t connect WiFi as a cause to the reboots, although the reboots happened almost exclusively at home. Switching off WiFi on the phone did not help. I got two reboots in the first half hour after switching WiFi off.
I also didn’t experience reboots during calls, but sometimes when using chrome browser for internet. Then it seemed to freeze first when browsing page, then rebooted. But also often just laying on the table, being idle…
I would not be surprised if it turns out to be more than one cause for this.
Having the phone in airplane mode for a night did the trick for me. After switching back to normal mode I didn’t experience any reboot so far. It’s been over a week now…

Thanks, that is good to know. I agree, perhaps the underlying causes are different for us. That makes it even more difficult to find the actual problem. I wish Android would give a little more information before it reboots.

Hello,

Whenever i have the wifi on the phone reboots many times when the wifi reception is bad. When its good and i send some data it reboots as well.
Is there a solution to this problem other than not using wifi at all?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,
I moved your post here as there was already a topic about random reboots because of wifi on android 10.
The answer is: wait for the bugfix release from FP.
No known workaround so far.

Or try this, you never know.

1 Like

Like I’ve speculated earlier, I think the problem lies in the OS kernel in some networking code, and gets triggered when the phone switches between network interfaces while sending/receiving data. That at least fits most descriptions here.

I didn’t have any reboots for several weeks when only using either WiFi or mobile internet, but not both at the same time. After the latest updates I re-enabled both to test, and had some reboots again.

Note that I’ve also had a reboot when using only mobile internet, but that was when the phone switched to a foreign provider (started roaming), so again a network switch. Some people have them when using only WiFi, but the repeaters some mentioned above would mean that behind the scenes the phone is again switching between access points.

In any case, for me the phone has been rather usable as long as I stick to one networking mode (WiFi or mobile) at a time.

5 Likes

Hi everyone,

To find out how far we’ve come in our investigation, please take a look at this blog for the latest update. When we have new information, I will return to this thread . :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The blog entry only talks about reboots during calls (“During calls the phone reboots randomly”), but this thread is primarily about reboots at any time, not necessarily while making a call. So just to make sure, I think I need to ask: Does that mean that the issue reported in this thread is not actually the one that the blog entry talks about, or is its phrasing just not 100% accurate?

Rather the latter I’d say. It was reported that the reboots are caused by network problem, which was perhaps interpreted and written in the blog as reboots during calls. Also in the last update, it is just written “random reboots”.

I have the same issue of random reboots but found a work-around that eliminated the problem for the time being.

Similar to what @jvnn reports, switching between WIFI and mobile data triggers it quite frequently. But contrary to what @jvnn finds, for me it also happened if only WIFI was activated, at least in some WIFIs (crashes at home, no crashes at work)
But I figured out a work-around: My WIFI router at home was set to broadcast a 2.4 GHz and a 5 GHz WIFI under the same name. Once I gave the 5 GHz WIFI a different name and made sure that my phone can only log into one of the two WIFIs by not saving the password for the other, the problem was gone. This works for both the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz networks.

I thus, strongly suspect that the reboots happen if the phone switches to a different network, i.e. mobile data, 2.4 GHz WIFI or 5 GHz WIFI.

For now, I don’t have the reboots since I am mainly at home and have control over the settings of my WIFI router, but on the long run, I’d like to be able to log onto friends’ WIFIs as well without fear of reboots. Hence, I’m looking forward to a proper fix …

4 Likes

Yep, I also wanted to write a little update about exactly this. I also have 2,4 and 5 GHz networks at home, and when I enabled both on the phone, I started getting regular restarts again (multiple times a day). I made the phone forget one of the two networks and haven’t had any reboots since.

3 Likes