Android 10 update

You bet. And why wouldn’t I?

2 Likes

This answer is actually useful, thanks.

The more important environmental issue is keeping our phones updated. The older the software, the less likely we are to keep them, which is the whole philosophy behind Fairphone. In short we should be seeing, and being told when to expect updates. It’s a shame we’ve nearly missed and entire round of Android already.

2 Likes

Well, for me that’d only be valid if the old OS was no longer supported or apps no longer ran on that OS. Although, for sure, everybody has to decide for themself if it’s worth abandoning a device because of the features of a new OS…
At least for those using /e/ OS on their Fairphone the porting to Android 10 has now been started (no ETA yet).

2 Likes

I agree with your outlook.
There is no point being “holier-than-thou” with people who want to have the same level of software functionality on their fairphones as they would have on another Android device in the same price bracket. Let’s remember that the FP3 costs €400 which is not a trivial amount for most ppl on earth.
People may not bother making the switch or complain when they do and discover it isn’t there. This is a reputational bug. Maybe not a huge one, but it’s there.
It would be nice at least to have a push-date for Android 10 on FP3. And no I’m not going to contact FP about it directly, I’m just going to complain about it here :smiley:

1 Like

Which makes your comment completely useless. If you want FP to hurry up, tell them, but just ranting about it here is unnecessary.

5 Likes

I often wonder, why other opinions, that are not aggressive, offensive or insulting have to be commented like this.

As is every expression of an opinion in this forum (like your comment on the other comment); by a certain kind of standard that is.
Posting here is directed at the community and meant for discussion not for changing Fairphone, Apple, Google or the world.
It’s called discussion. One can disagree, one can state, that a posting in this forum will hardly change Fairphones policy. The latter is most likely correct, but it does not make the posting unnecessary, as it gives a bit of food for thinking.

3 Likes