"And then I saw they had a Fairphone..."

Are there as many as two havens in Scotland? I’m still trying to find out if the one in Forres is still active.

Aside from EFCT18, the only time I have seen someone with a Fairphone was at a London Green Drinks meetup in late 2015, before I got one myself.

Since acquiring my FP2 and moving to Leamington Spa I have identified another user in my town. I spotted her Phone Co-op email address during an exchange on the LETS newsgroup and asked her if she had a Fairphone; she said yes and I asked her how she was getting on with it, but she never replied to that.

I’ve attended the Phone Co-op AGM once but didn’t spot any Fairphones there.

Apparently there was someone in my local Green Party who had a Fairphone but gave it up for an iPhone. What is the matter with people??

1 Like

No, the second one was Northengland

Correction - the Fairphone user in Leamington is involved with Community Energy Warwickshire, not LETS. There is a Phone Co-op account holder in the LETS circle but, in her own words, “I haven’t ventured into Fairphone territory yet.”

…and then I saw…
…that Primus van Quack had a Fairfon in LTB 449, page 48… :laughing:
primus_fairfon

12 Likes

I’m in a packed tram right now and there is at least one other Fairphoner in here. I wonder where they are all going… :wink:

5 Likes

I just met a Fairphoner in my GP’s waiting room. His FP2 was equipped with a (cracked) transparent slim case, so I told him he can get an opaque slim case for free. We didn’t have a long time to chat (an older lady complained I was too loud :blush: ), but he got to tell me of two other Fairphoners amongst friends & family. Of course, I had to tell him of our quarterly Stammtisch meetups in Aachen and our upcoming movie showing.

He was called upon before me, so I’m glad I was shameless enough to push my Fairphone card (just a Fairphone sticker with my name & email address handwritten on its back) on him in time. :smiley:

4 Likes

Again, I spotted a FP in the train, but this time very far away from Amsterdam ;). This morning I sat in the train from Lyon to Marseille next to a Frenchman with a Fairphone! We had a very short conversation about it as he was clearly busy but it was a nice coincidence to see a Fairphone so far from home :).

6 Likes

Yesterday I was at the Klimakirtag in Vienna with Greta Thunberg and saw one Fairphone and one Shiftphone in the crowd.

3 Likes

I see Fairphones all the time because I only befriend people, who have a Fairphone… Just kidding, of course. :wink: Indeed, I took a discipleship course with two friends, who both own a Fairphone 2, but one of the other course participants also had a FP2. So from ~20 participants 4 in total had a Fairphone (20%). Nice average. :grin:

4 Likes

I started this topic over 4 years ago and it’s very nice to read through the stories. Hope there will be many more, now with all three FPs. (thanks @urs_lesse for opening it again)

5 Likes

A friend sent me a picture the other day and wrote: “Got a package from the Netherlands”. The picture showed the package of the FP3.
I replied to him and asked why he has chosen a Fairphone and he mentioned that he remembered me talking about it. He needed a new company phone and so he ordered the FP3. His boss by the way was happy that it was a cheap buy compared to others.
Bielefeld #heaven is growing =)

12 Likes

… and then all of a sudden you get a first-ever Telegram message from a neighbour across the yard who asks you if you could give any advice, he’s considering buying a Fairphone 3. He read not just the sign of the times, but also the sign(s) opposite to his window.

Two days later he reports he’s bought and already received an FP3 from Vireo. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Incoming German Minister for Agriculture Cem Özdemir [r.] taking a photo just after the swearing in of Germany’s new chancellor [l., bald] today, using … a Fairphone 3? :wink:

P.S.: Might not be his own, I vaguely seemed to notice in the background that he handed the phone back to the red-haired woman (perhaps a Green MP, maybe Agnieszka Brugger)?

EDIT: The complete “scene” from the 3:35:13 time mark here:

– and from that I think it’s not Brugger. But certainly the FP3 :sunglasses:

11 Likes

‘And then I saw they had a Fairphone’ sure isn’t as rare as it used to be! I know at least five people who own FP3s and three who own FP2s, and I also see them in the wild a lot more. It used to be a rare thing to see someone pull out an FP2 but these days I see FP3s everywhere. Granted, this is a university town so it’s a self-selected sample, but still, it’s noticeable.

6 Likes

And I love that it has evolved to where you can now say this like this.

3 Likes

A couple of months ago, I met a girl at the organic market in Zwolle who had a FP3. And a few weeks later, I was on the train with a lady with FP3 as well :slight_smile: We talked the whole train ride about fairphone, sustainability and other related subjects… I think I know about 5 people who own one (and hopefully more will join) ^ ^

5 Likes

Does Greta Thunberg have one?

2 Likes

I think it would be great if Fairphone offered the wireless earphones in optional Fairphone blue! That way you could see immediately that someone has a Fairphone, also they would be a good start to a conversation into Fairphone. Just like the blue case I had for FP1. Haven’t bought one for the FP3 as I think they are too expensive.
Happy to see that this thread I started ages ago is still active from time to time.

2 Likes

When I was in the waiting queue for my Covid-19 vaccination booster jab this wednesday, there were two people almost right behind me holding FP3s (the green case is quite an eye-catcher), too. :slight_smile: :+1:

7 Likes

FP-owners are no Schwurblers!

4 Likes