I have a 4 year old Fairphone2, and I bought for all the reasons of sustainability, repairability, wanting use more ethical materials etc. - so I know all the ethical reasons for sticking with Fairphone.
I now have a series of niggly stuff that just isn’t working properly, to the point that I am now feeling like it is a liability - and unfortunately, these are not repairable components like “replace the camera”, but I fear more about the fact that the OS, CPU and memory just can’t keep up with the requirements of current websites, apps etc. I am using the standard android build. I don’t use the phone for anything crazy, I don’t have that many apps, in fact I deinstalled stuff like the Facebook app because I had identified it was making performance worse. I have a reasonable amount of storage free (about 4GB).
I am now at the point where my phone is verging on the unusable, and see my options as follows:
- Put up with it. I have seen in some posts about doing a factory reset, but I really don’t want to do that, as it would take me so long to get everything back to how I want it, and fear it wouldn’t actually fix anything (I did it once before about 2 years ago and it didn’t actually improve on any performance issues, which I had back then too)
- Buy a FP3 - I fear it will also not last as long as you would expect a sustainable phone to last, and have seen lots of posts about build quality etc which makes me hesitant
- Ditch Fairphone and buy a different phone which actually works
I would really appreciate some impartial advice (i.e. don’t try to “convert me” back to FP because of ethics - I know all that…) Is it worth investing in a FP3? Is there anything else worth trying to save my FP2?
What are the problems?
- Wifi can’t reconnect (Workaround - flip on airplane mode and back off - have to do this about 20 times a day)
- Wifi disconnects after about 20 minutes during wifi based calls such as whatsapp - requires multiple reconnects, and as I barely get a mobile signal, I am dependent on using voice apps for calling friends
- Incredible slowness when opening up screen to “quickly check something” - frequently takes a couple of minutes to bring up the app I am looking for, really annoying when I am for instance lost and trying to check a map
- App comes up but screen then goes black (e.g. whatsapp, mail, browser) for several minutes, then I get invited to close the apps because it is not responding
- Random reboots - phone is sitting on table, not moving, not in use, suddenly restarts - not related to OS updates
- Very poor mobile signal - I have a mobile wifi router using a sim from the same provider, and get enough mobile signal to run 2 people WFH off it, but when I am standing next to my router, I am barely able to make a call on my phone.