Advice for charging UK Fairphone in the EU

This is directed to UK Fairphone 3 users: considering travel in the EU my UK wall charger will not work, of course. Does anybody from the UK have experience travelling in the EU? What have you used to charge the Fairphone in the EU? I only have the UK wall charger. Advice would be most welcome.

Presumably you have an adapter ?

What charger do you have a problem with ?

Mains voltages were standardised in late 1990s to 230V across the EU This allowed for a range from 220V to 240V and any UK charger should work fine in the EU

3 Likes

As someone currently travelling in Europe from the UK, you just need an EU to UK adapter (available everywhere to buy like Boots, or at the airport - about £10 at the airport but cheaper if you buy elsewhere). Not much special science to travelling in Europe :smiley:

5 Likes

Just to illuminate Chris_R’s note
For £2.65 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you will take a laptop computer with you and it has a USB port fit for the Fairphone cable, it might be enough to charge the FP3 (if slow charging works for your usage pattern).

5 Likes

Thanks for all the suggestions etc. Maybe the best way forward is an adaptor for my UK wall charger. Surely, though, EU Fairphone users have access to a specifically-EU wall charger?

1 Like

Yes, of course. EU pin chargers are a thing, but its probably not the most economical if you’re only travelling in Europe for a short time. The converter can be used to plug in any 3 pin UK plugged device like a laptop charger, hairdryer etc etc, so a bit more versatile than buying a specific EU phone charger which will only be able to charge a phone while in Europe and useless back home.

5 Likes

Thanks Chris, that’s very clear! The converter is the answer.

2 Likes

Just adding for completeness: You are not required to use the Fairphone USB-C charger. In fact, any USB-C compatible charger will work with your FP3.
I realize that in your case those will likely also be the UK version. But this would also enable you to borrow a charger from someone else, for example. As notebooks increasingly also use USB-C for charging these days, it could even be a notebook charger without any issues.

Further information:

3 Likes

@tito2020 And I’m sure whilst you are in the EU you can borrow or use a charger. I’m sure that as in the UK you can charge on buses, trains, hotels, friends, cafes etc. you should have no problem charging in the EU although you may not benefit from ‘Charging rapidly’ but then not any charger will do :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for that … it’s always a possibility.

1 Like

I’m not thinking of taking a laptop with me this time but thank you for the suggestion and alerting me to this possibility. Maybe in the future …

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.