A bit disappointed

I’m very sorry to say that I am a bit disappointed about my FP 2 overall. I got mine in april 2016. After some other (and resolved) issues over the years, the phone is now getting worse and worse every day. Very very slow, apps get stuck, battery empties quickly en gets very hot. Any other phone I owned also had a lifetime of 4 years or so. I really hoped that my FP2 could last for at least 5 years. My new phone won’t be fairphone 3 I’m sorry to say that. Nor will I recommend anyone at this point. I really think the Fairphones must be manifactured for better quality than this. Four years is not that exceptionally.

6 Likes

It sounds like a process permanently using a lot of cpu power.
You may try to start and run your phone some time in dic:safemode to see if it’s caused by an app.
Or you save all your data (even better if you have a working backup) and do a dic:factorydatareset. I assume this helps.

7 Likes

Well, I will try Volker

3 Likes

Additionally, keep in mind that the warranty on Fairphone 2 batteries is one year.
So, depending on when you bought the battery, your battery might be a warranty case if the current battery situation can not be remedied with a factory reset.

3 Likes

Good point.
@Pacia: make sure if it’s really the battery that gets hot or if it’s the phone (in the upper left corner where the CPU is located).

2 Likes

Seeing as you’re saying the phone is very slow, it may also be helpful to look at memory usage.

Can you have a look at the top 5 apps in Settings > Memory > Memory used by apps, and then from the drop-down menu select 1 day? As an example, mine looks as follows:

Android OS 569 MB
Signal 225 MB
System UI 119 MB
AIMP 95 MB
Android System 77 MB

If you’ve got a bunch of apps that use a lot of memory, that may be your issue.

5 Likes

Just as an addition.
I fully understand your frustration and if you decide, that you don’t trust Fairphone anymore.
Still, please keep in mind, that they learned a lot from all the failures and mishaps of the FP2. Especially the modularity-construction of the FP3 is essentially different as well as the casing.

While it remains, to be seen, if the FP3 in the end will perform better, Fairphone obviously has done a lot to make that happen. And - as I perceive it - the error reports in this forum are much less than they were with the FP2; although they sold more FP3. (But that’s just my feeling of course.)

7 Likes

@Volker, the top gets very hot. What is the CPU?

Verzonden vanuit Mail voor Windows 10

09A99FBB810A40CD8363EAB4829B735D.png

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion but I already did that. I already removed all apps and media that aren’t necessary.

Verzonden vanuit Mail voor Windows 10

09A99FBB810A40CD8363EAB4829B735D.png

1 Like

The central processing unit (the computing core). If this get’s hot the mobile phone is very busy doing something… (and it’s not the battery making problems)

4 Likes

I have the same issues with my FP 3. And the worst thing about it is that there is no service at all, nobody at Fairphone cares. I will sell mine, I am through with Fairphone.

Fairphone support had some troubles with the FP2 as well and was at times a bit unresponsive.
Therefore they announced in May 2019, that the first line support “is coming home”.

https://www.fairphone.com/en/2019/05/24/first-line-support-is-coming-home/

Since Fairphone is still a rather small company, they might be challenged now with the Corona situation.
Not, that they not should get a grip on this problem; just maybe right now I feel like a bit more understanding. At least it’s a good thing - in my opinion -, that they do not make use of cheap foreign labour / call-centers.

And before selling the phone, you should make a factory reset in any case. And possibly that already helps solving battery drain and overheating?

7 Likes

I had experienced the very same you did with FP2 (mid 2018 untill now).
I gave FP3 a try nonetheless in early 2020 and I can say that as so far, the FP3 it the best phone I ever had. Very stable in software and hardware though in heavy 24/7 use. :+1:
Just my experience.

6 Likes

I think the factory reset is a good idea. Phones don’t just magically become slow as time goes on unless there’s a hardware issue, which is unlikely. We know that FPOS as well as FPOpen run smoothly on other phones, so a factory reset really should fix whatever’s come unstuck in your operating system.

If it doesn’t, try contacting a Fairphone Angel near you to see if the issue can be identified. I see you’ve written a few topics in Dutch - if you’re anywhere near Leiden, and if you’re comfortable doing so, we can plan a meeting and get to the bottom of this and fix it once and for all.

5 Likes

I do have FP2 bougth same time as you did and experienced the same issues, but it was not the hardware. I Installed lineage and i enjoyed a clean, very long running phone again. If you can live without google and accept a reset, thats the way to go, as it delivers Android 10: https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/FP2/install

Also bought FP3 this year (not for me to be very sad), and i have to say: really good phone if you can live with google - i cannot so this currently won’t be my choice until there is an open source os for it (which i have not tried so far).
Both phones seem to be very well suited for a long lifetime when they are treated the right way.

4 Likes

I think LineageOS is a good choice. But I think here it was rather the new installation (including factory reset) which made the phone “very long running again” than the change of the OS.

You can run FP3 with /e/ OS or LineageOS (unofficial) if you don’t want to have full Google implementation. Or did I misunderstand your comment?

1 Like

You did understand me right - I just have not tried to find alternatives for FP3 yet - so thanks for your hint.

On FP2 if removing apps does not work, and a factory reset is needed anyway (as i understood is the case here) - than there is so much benefit in Android 10 vs stack rom, that i would definitively go for lineage if i am able to.

3 Likes

A good starting point may always be the oslist

where you should find the operating systems for all Fairphone models including additional details.

5 Likes

Hello Pacia,

You don’t know HOW different the FP3 is from the 2! Believe me, I had a 2 and managed to change it (long story) for a 3. It’s so much better… To quote (more or less) someone (apolize that I don’t remember the name) ‘FP1 did not worked, FP2 buggie, and FP3 is a phone’.
I’m very happy with it (since Jan 2020), never failing, fast (at least for my need: very normal day stuff. Few games), dicent photo, good battery.

FP2 never will recommed, 3, definitly.
Hope it helps, as the decision affect others.

Best

6 Likes

I have had my first FP, FP3, for two weeks now. Very good experience compared to other (nonethical) smartphones I used to have. Works smoothly, camera not as good as with my previous phone (Motorola One Vision) but quite decent, battery sufficient, etc. I hope it will continue like this, I am with FP and decided to stay with them for the sake of people & planet. Like my wife says, one has to take a step back to move forward… :slight_smile:

4 Likes