6GB or 8GB - future proof?

Well, IMO 6 GB is quite ok for a phone and today my Samsung phone with 6GB uses not more than 3,5 usually. Of course this depends on the individual usage pattern of every single user. My FP4 with 8GB uses around 4 GB in average. My old LG V30 had 3GB and it worked with A12 quite well.
So in my opinion all this leads to the conclusion, that 6GB should be ok for the coming years, at least for my usage profile.

Actually I bought the 8GB FP4 only because it was a special offer and the 256 GB storage seemed desirable to me.

I have decided to buy a 8GB FP4, thanks for all your hints.

2 Likes

It seems like the smartphone development almost hit a limit in the high end department.
The differences between the phones on the smarthphone exhibitions become smaller and smaller each year. Meanwhile - apart from games - there aren’t many apps using all that available computing power.

The hits on the exhibitions are more things like folding screens and gaming phones and in future: desktop replacement systems (using the phone as computer with a bigger touch-screen or with mouse and keyboard).

I think the next really strong push for the smartphone development will be the AR and VR technologies (we already have seen this for a short while).
I guess this will be in around 4 years earliest, when a significant number of people wants to use AR and VR with their phones.

So, if the phone is fast enough right now, then it can be that it will feel a bit slow in 4 years but it wont be unusable.

2 Likes