5 Gbit/s USB-3.0 SuperSpeed with Fairphone 3+

Does the Fairphone 3+ support 5 Gbit/s USB-3.0 SuperSpeed?

I’m currently running /e/ eOS IMG-e-0.14-q-2021012698290-dev-FP3.zip.
So this may play a role in this.

See also: USB - Wikipedia

I’ve done several tests. But my Fairphone 3+ always shows up via the logical USB-2.0 hub and with a speed of 480 (tested with Linux-5.10).

# Fairphone 3+
$ cat /sys/bus/usb/devices/2-1.1/speed                                                

# USB-3.0 mass storage, connected to the same port
$ cat /sys/bus/usb/devices/4-1.2/speed                                                
# So "2" is the logical USB-2.0 hub and "4" is the logical USB-3.0 hub.

Same results with:

• My computer (USB 3.1 PCIe card) via the original Fairphone USB-A to USB-C cable
  • My notebook
    • via the original Fairphone USB-A to USB-C cable
    • via an USB-C to USB-C cable

Maybe related:

No, only USB2.0: https://shop.fairphone.com/en/fairphone-3-plus#tech-specs

3 Likes

The USB 3 pins are physically not there in the USB-C connector: you can look into it and see that it is missing some pins.

2 Likes

Sounds like a good idea for a future module upgrade.

Upgrading the module to add pins wouldn’t do anything :thinking:

@anon9989719 Please elaborate. I’m quite tech savvy, but it appears you know more then I do.

This is referring to

Does the Fairphone 3+ support 5 Gbit/s USB-3.0 SuperSpeed?

The pins not only need to be connected to something but that something ( USB 3 protocol) has to be worked into the core module by design. I image if it was available then the pins would be there to use it.

3 Likes

That was my guess as well. The connector to the core module has 48 pins (compared to 18 + ground on the FP2 which has mostly the same features in the bottom module), but that seems to be because it’s the same connector used on other FP3 modules as well.

1 Like

Maybe I wasn’t expressing myself well enough. I was thinking of a new bottom-module that is USB-4 compatible. Similar to the new (FP3+) camera module: they can be swapperd without hardly any effort. Or similar to plugging in a USB-3 PCIe device into the motherboard of a desktop pc. Does that make sense?

Given my response to the US3 idea ?

The pins not only need to be connected to something but that something ( USB 3 protocol) has to be worked into the core module by design. I image if it was available then the pins would be there to use it.

I think the bottom module is just a connection point all the chips and software, the working parts’ are on the core module.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.