3G UK network wind-downs

Hi,

I got a text from Vodafone (my network provider in the UK) to say that they are closing their 3G network next year and that “as my phone uses 3G for texts and calls” I’ll “need a newer one to experience a better connection on our 4G network”. Can anyone here tell me if this is right, and if so, recommend options to deal with it?

Best regards,

Alan

You tagged your post with “Fairphone 2”, so I assume you got one. Fairphone 2 supports 4G, so no worries about the phone. Maybe you use an old contract which doesn’t include 4G network in case? If you have a direct contract with the network provider, they should automatically upgrade you to use 4G without additional costs.

1 Like

Thanks Amber,

Yeah, I have a FP2 and, according to my screen, receive 4G data (as long as I’m somewhere with sufficient coverage), so I’m not sure what the problem is, or even if there is one!

1 Like

Do you use one SIM only or do you use dual SIM? In FP2 there is only one SIM slot that can support 4G. Also I’m not sure about voice support over 4G network in UK, so it might be the phone downgrades to GSM when receiving voice call or when you initiate a call which might interrupt an ongoing data transfer.

3 Likes

For data usage, the FP2 is 4G-capable.

For texts and calls after the 3G shut-off, your phone will, because of its missing VoLTE capability, fall back to 2G which will remain turned on. This has the disadavantage that calls and data won’t be usable simultaneously.

As long as 2G remains turned on, the Dual SIM feature will still be usable. To sum it up, the 3G shut-off is no reason to ditch your FP2.

3 Likes

Thanks all. I only use a single SIM.

Best regards,

Alan

Providers are switching off their networks at different times

Each mobile provider is setting its own timetable for its 3G network switch-off. These timings might change and you should check your mobile provider’s website for the latest update:

• Vodafone is starting its switch-off in early 2023.
  • EE plans to start its switch-off in early 2024.
  • Three expects to switch-off by the end of 2024.
  • O2 has not yet announced any switch-off plans.

These are the four main mobile network providers in the UK. All other mobile companies provide their services over these networks. For example:

• Lebara Mobile, Asda Mobile and Talk Mobile use the Vodafone network. Virgin Mobile also currently uses the Vodafone network, but will move to the O2 network in future.
  • Your Co-op, Utility Warehouse, Plusnet and BT Mobile use the EE network.
  • ID Mobile uses the Three network.
  • Tesco Mobile, Giffgaff, Sky Mobile and Lycamobile use the O2 network.

3G switch-off timings for these providers will be the same as the network they are using.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.